Engl fireball?

• Thread starter cregmachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cregmachine

Reaction score
whats everyones opinions on the old version iv seen one second hand for 550 iv heard they are good what do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RGD MIKE

Reaction score
if that is a good price in the UK, go for it. they are pretty sweet heads, similar tothe powerball, and it is a 60 watt, so it will open up at slightly lower volumes. i personally prefer their higher end models(like the Invader) but play it, see if you like it. it could make you happy

evilsaint

Reaction score
E625 is a great amp and I played one before. It sounds like a "razor" to me.
Clean and Gain channel sharing one gain control (also EQ section), that can be a trouble to some people.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
I thought it was a little flat sounding, lacking punch. Good distortion sound but it didn't give me that kick in the chest thump. I don't think it is because of the wattage, as I've owned a 50 watt Marshall, and currently own a 50 watt Fryette that has the punch. Sounds a little like solid state, in that regard.
They say the 100 is a lot better, with more of a lower mid voicing, which sounds like it would be an improvement over the original 60.
Probably can't beat it for $550 USD though.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
They are incredibly brutal heads. They have a thick, razor like sound. Quite a scooped sound, though this can be fixed with an EQ pedal.

This vid gives the best idea of the metal tone:

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
I have one but it doesn't fit in my dorm :(

I've had it for a while now, I think it has some great thrash and death metal tones, incredibly brutal, my perfect metal tone. But I suppose if you're playing more djenty stuff you might not like it as much.

For $550 that seems like a damn good deal!

BabUShka

Reaction score
Punch is not a problem imo.. used it with a H&K 4x12 V30 cab for a year, and it has a LOT of punch. Even have a punchy-switch on it which makes the sound thicker annd more punchier.
I really loved my Fireball. Great cleans and tight, punchy gain.
But it was a bit extreme for me.. And I never became friend with the treble/mid EQ.. Really hard to tweak. It is also a little bit scooped. Thats why I sold it.

As for the shared gain controller, it can be a bitch. But the Fireball has a LOT of gain, so I never had the gain knob over 11 o clock. Which gave tight high gain and good cleans. SO it wouldnt be a problem. If it's a problem for you, then you probably use too much gain.

cregmachine

Reaction score
cheers for the advice guys, and i forgot to mention its 550 english pounds which works out at about 1000 us dollars

the russian

Audiophile
Reaction score
I have this amp... 60 Watts... Clean as bells or loud as hell! Nothing in between. The ENGL Fireball is a great amp. Add a graphic EQ, noise gate, and fx unit and you've got infinite metal. This amp is loud at 2. You won't believe it's 60 Watts. I play it through the ENGL 4x12.

Here's a sample... listen to the song "Hookers on Sunset":
Soviet Propaganda Machine | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
Yeah this thing is real loud.

It's at my parents house right now (I'm living on campus with no room for it) and they get annoyed with it at 1.5

I love plugging my guitar straight in and just ripping but sometimes I'll need my Decimator for louder situations.

Off_The_Heezay

Reaction score
I've got one at the moment, and to be honest, the only thing that is going to come close to it in that price range is a 5150.

Personally, I really like it. It does lack some mids though, so a boost or an EQ pedal (or both!) will be handy. I've got an SD1 infront of mine at the moment and it improved it a lot to my ears.

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
I've got one at the moment, and to be honest, the only thing that is going to come close to it in that price range is a 5150.

Personally, I really like it. It does lack some mids though, so a boost or an EQ pedal (or both!) will be handy. I've got an SD1 infront of mine at the moment and it improved it a lot to my ears.

I agree with the 5150 comparison and for my needs it outdid the 5150, the distortion was clearer and seemed more refined if that makes sense?

But the 5150 does have a nice mid range grit to it though if that is more your thing.

BabUShka

Reaction score
yeah, i would also recommend an EQ in the loop for more variation.
I forgot to mention how sweet the leads are!
Some of the best leads I've played actually.. Great schredding amp.
A cheap OD in front wouldnt be a bad idea, but not a must. Honestly I like my JVM much better cause it has a better midrange and clearence, but if you're into some really brutal tones, then the Fireball is the real deal.
Look into ENGL Blackmore. A bit more expensive, but imo very underrated amp.

')