Engl Inferno: Marty Friedman Signature Amp

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
From Facebook:

The ENGL Marty Friedman "INFERNO" Signature Amp!! 2 years in the making, is finally done!! The sound that I got on the "Inferno" album was done with a combination of the ENGL Special Edition, Powerball, Steve Morse sig and the Invader amps.
The Engl engineers analyzed what I was and wasn`t using from each of these amps to get those monster tones, (listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTzDR4HdbKI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdVg-1FKX4k ) and created a "Frankenstein" out of those amps customized to the types of tones I like to use. The INFERNO will make its debut at NAMM in January, and I`ll be there to officially announce it. Hope to see you there!

15625581_1181616981875316_275688344557320924_o.jpg

I've been waiting for this forever and would buy it in a heartbeat for the sound it's chasing, but flame graphics? Red bars? I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty gross looking amp (but will wait for some better shots).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like a variation on the Blackmore / Artist design from the layout. The graphic doesn't look bad and I am pretty indifferent about the anodizing on the grill, just curious to see what it sounds like :2c:

narad

Reaction score
I mean, it's Marty. I love him, but you can't be surprised when his amp has a kind of tacky aesthetic ;)

mikah912

Reaction score
So much confusion for me....

1) I read an interview with him for that album wherein he said he didn't dial the tone at all and requested that "they" (engineers?) give him as generic a tone like any guy in a bar band would get. He didn't want to think about at all. So that doesn't read like a great starting point for this amp having a unique tone among the ENGL range.
2) Isn't the rhythm tone (and playing) on that record all from Skyharbor's Keshav Dhar?

oracles

Reaction score
Don't love the aesthetics, but I'll more than likely end up grabbing one of these anyway because I'm an unashamed Friedman fanboy and enjoy ENGL's probably too much for my own (read: wallet) good.

eightsixboy

あなたのお母さんを犯さ
Reaction score
He seems to be jumping ship a lot lately. He was using PRS guitars and I think there amps as well not long ago. Don't really think his tone was that great on inferno anyway, sounded like he had a wah on the whole time in a fixed position.

lewis

Reaction score
haha looks like the sort of "makeovers" people do badly to their own amps. Great guy but the amp design looks terrible imo.

Hopefully it sounds amazing so I can get Kemper profiles of it haha

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He seems to be jumping ship a lot lately. He was using PRS guitars and I think there amps as well not long ago. Don't really think his tone was that great on inferno anyway, sounded like he had a wah on the whole time in a fixed position.

He's been using Engl since 2008. Not exactly jumping ship when he's been using their amps for almost a decade.

But jeez, Marty's going all out this year... Jackson sig, EMG sig, and an ENGL sig on top of that...

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
I had the chance of be in charge of the backline when he played here in Chile and I took several amps to him (Mesa, Bogner, and others) and he told me "Can you make any of this amps sound like the record? I think I used an Engl".

I ended dialing an Egnater Armageddon and He didn't even look at it even once nor complained about the tone, He was there just to enjoy the show and play, so I am not really excited about this.

K.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I mean he used Crate for 10 - 15 years... Pretty sure the dude couldn't give a .... about what he uses. :lol:

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
I mean he used Crate for 10 - 15 years... Pretty sure the dude couldn't give a .... about what he uses. :lol:

I think he only used them as power amps. I had a BlueVoodoo I picked up in my more tone-ignorant years a long time ago, thought it would make me sound like Countdown to Extinction.

narad

Reaction score
Hopefully it sounds amazing so I can get Kemper profiles of it haha

He used a variety of Engls previously so if you believe the kemper captures enough of the amp then you could just use profiles of those. The fact that it's a new amp is probably going to be more of a convenience thing for people who want Marty sort of tones without investing in a few different Engls. My guess is it'd be a stripped down SE670 with maybe a couple unique toggles -- would probably just get a SE670 profile.

I wonder what hair product he uses

oracles

Reaction score

The Blue Voodoo heads he used to use were just there for slaves because of their higher wattage, he wasn't actively using those as his main head by any means.

cmtd

Reaction score
That promo pic is super cringeworthy. Paisley shirt, paisley pants, kenny g cut...

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Ummm... I think they forgot the presence knob??? :confused:

I'd have also liked a master depth pot too. These are pretty much standard features on all Engl heads... wonder why they were omitted?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ummm... I think they forgot the presence knob??? :confused:

I'd have also liked a master depth pot too. These are pretty much standard features on all Engl heads... wonder why they were omitted?

No idea on the Presence knob but the Blackmore / Artist Edition heads this is derived from don't have a depth knob either.

')