Engl Invader 100 Tone

dantesdeception

Reaction score
hey guys,

I have recently got this amp and was wondering how other players tone with this amp compare to the one i have at the moment.

I am using

ch 3,
hi gain,
gain 1 o clock,
bass 11 o clock,
middle 3 oclock,
trebble 2 o clock,
Presence 4 o clock,
depth 11 o clock

any other channel 3 lovers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I LOVE channel 3. I get most of my work done on that channel. It's tight, it's crisp, it's crushing when it has to be. I used channel 4 for a bit, but in my opinion it's just too muddy for the kind of sound I was trying to obtain.

Channel 2 can also get pretty crunchy if you crank the gain a bit, although still not as crisp as 3.

To be precise, chan 4 was fine with my Carvin dc727, but for some reason the PRS 250SC (bridge pickup) just does much better with 3.

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
I LOVE channel 3. I get most of my work done on that channel. It's tight, it's crisp, it's crushing when it has to be. I used channel 4 for a bit, but in my opinion it's just too muddy for the kind of sound I was trying to obtain.

Channel 2 can also get pretty crunchy if you crank the gain a bit, although still not as crisp as 3.

To be precise, chan 4 was fine with my Carvin dc727, but for some reason the PRS 250SC (bridge pickup) just does much better with 3.

man i ABSOLUTELY agree. i havent really been able to dial in an awesome lead out of 4, although im going to set out on an expedition to get a good fusion sound out of it.

anyways,
channel 2:
gain: 1 o clock
bass: 1 o clock
mid: 11 o clock
treble: 2 o clock

channel 3:
gain: 2 oclock
bass: 1 oclock
mid: 1 1/2 oclock
treble: 1 1/2 oclock

presence: 2 1/2 oclock
depth punch: 3 oclock

has any body else found that the clean channel on this amp sounds ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE??
even with the depth punch turned down the bass was shaking everything in the room!! it sounds brilliant live and playing, but took some major tweaking to record without overloading the mics!

Arsis

Serious ....age
Reaction score
man i ABSOLUTELY agree. i havent really been able to dial in an awesome lead out of 4, although im going to set out on an expedition to get a good fusion sound out of it.

anyways,
channel 2:
gain: 1 o clock
bass: 1 o clock
mid: 11 o clock
treble: 2 o clock

channel 3:
gain: 2 oclock
bass: 1 oclock
mid: 1 1/2 oclock
treble: 1 1/2 oclock

presence: 2 1/2 oclock
depth punch: 3 oclock

has any body else found that the clean channel on this amp sounds ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE??
even with the depth punch turned down the bass was shaking everything in the room!! it sounds brilliant live and playing, but took some major tweaking to record without overloading the mics!

BAYTWEEN DER BARRED AND MAY!

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the mids maxed on Channel 2, with the bright and high gain modes on. I don't like Channel 3 much personally, it just sounds like pretty much every other Engl available to me, defeating the purpose of me owning this amp.

Channel 4 I use for leads, but with my HBE Treble Booster in front, which enhances the right frequencies to get that channel to sing :)

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
hmmm, never thought of a treble booster... that might be exactly what my ch 4 needs!
what do you have your settings at / what pickups are you using??
i think ill experiment with it and an EH knockout in the morning.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
For my main guitar, the pickup is a Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 in my ESP M207. My settings for Channel 2 are Bright mode on, high gain on, gain about 2 and a half/3 (out of 10), Bass just over halfway, mids up full and treble nearly full.

For lead on Channel 4, I don't have the high gain mode on, because the Treble Booster adds the extra gain needed. In terms of settings, I can't remember exactly as its at the rehearsal room, but the gain isn't much above what I have Channel 2 on, the bass is fairly low, and the mids and treble are cranked again.

For my presence and depth controls, I have my presence set to about 3/4's the way up, and the depth control to zero. Why zero? I have a bassist :)

phantasm

Reaction score
For my presence and depth controls, I have my presence set to about 3/4's the way up, and the depth control to zero. Why zero? I have a bassist :)

Greetings! I have the Invader 150. I found it unusable for any kind of thrash (i.e Destruction/Slayer) until I came across someones settings in this forum after hearing a clip. The main difference I found from my settings was the user had the depth punch set to zero(I forget who it was-but thank you!). I set mine to zero and it's awesome now through my Bogner 4x12 with v30's.

Also, I too have had a hard time getting a good sound through channel 4. I don't ever really get much time to tweak anything because of my 2-year-old. I have started getting a really, really thick sound out of my PRS singlecut neck pickup. Kind of like how Bill Steer from Carcass's live lead tone is.

Also, Damn you people talking about your fancy 100's and making me second guess my 150 every time I read about the 100's.:realmad:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
That may have been me with the settings at zero. I seriously don't get why anyone would want more bass than it has as it is, while also trying to use it in a band. Then again I'm always about overall sound rather than trying to show everyone I exist and try and make them ignore the rest of the band.

phantasm

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it was you. Thanks so much-it really is a night and day difference. Like I said, I get very little time to tweak stuff. It's pretty much perfect to me now except for the massive amount of EMI that is getting amplified anytime the hi-gain switch is in. Way more noise than my 6505+.
Jeff

Latest posts

')