engl invader 100

• Thread starter awjb68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

awjb68

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of replacing the v5 preamp tube in my invader. It currently has the stock engl tubes all around.

Would like to retain the note articulation but breathe a little more life into the mid range if possible. To my ears the invader sounds kind of sterile as it is.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I had one; but I remember only 4 preamp tubes. I liked Tungsol ECC803S in V1, and I probably used Shuguang’s in V2 and V3, and something balanced for the PI.
It’s probably not all that helpful, but maybe grab a 12ax7 sample pack or 2, so you can get a bunch of different brands, to try in various spots and find your favorite combo.

Zeriton

Reaction score
Got an Invader100 myself. I don't think you should be trying to 'fix' that sterile sound. That's the ENGL sound. Sounds like you want a different amp :p

The midrange is a thing with ENGLs I have grown to love. If you want to really tailor it a bit more to give it bite or hair - stick a 7-band EQ in the loop, drop the 100hz out, play with the 200-400hz a bit and the 1.6k.

rokket2005

Reaction score
^+1 I also have an invader and that's how it sounds. It was my main gigging amp in a past band, but I haven't used in it like five years cause it doesn't really seem to play nice with other amps that well either.

')