Engl Invader 150 2nd hand selling for 2145 USD worth it? Or buy othersimilar amps?

• Thread starter jin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jin

:D
Reaction score
Ok so one guy offered me a used engl invader 150 head at 2145 USD. Im not so sure if its a good deal. However, it is cheaper than buying online as i live in asia so if i ship a new invader it will cost me 3000 USD plus shipping tax gst....I actually wanted to buy engls long time ago (The powerball but recently i researched on this amp and generally there were very negative things to be said but i dont know who to believe because i cant try it out myself)when usd rates were cheap but can you give me advice whether i should spend the money on other brands with similar price? I also saw a used diezel herbert at the shop so im comparing between the two although i didnt find out the price..

Edit: Im a bedroom guitarist so might 150 watts be too much? I dont really care about my neighbours but i want to get the best out of this amp.Also, can anyone recommend a cabinet if i buy this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jin

Reaction score
The herbert and invader are pretty different amps. Buying a guitar blind is ok but not an amp imo. Have you tried either amp before?

tried the engl not the diezel. Didnt have time. One thing i have to say is theres so many channels lol but the noise gate was abit weird to me.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
If you're prepared to spend over $2k then you should also consider a mark V, especially since you're a bedroom guitarist.

Edit: misread that you're based in Singapore.

xPIZZLEx

Bringin' the heavy.
Reaction score
For $2k there are a lot of other options. If you're dead set on one, the guitarist of Within the Ruins, Joe Cocchi, is selling his 100W Invader for $1800.

jin

Reaction score
For $2k there are a lot of other options. If you're dead set on one, the guitarist of Within the Ruins, Joe Cocchi, is selling his 100W Invader for $1800.

As in better options ?(Like better quality/sound/value). Well i would buy it but im living in asia :X

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
The invader is a really nice amp. I have no idea but I doubt you will find something with the same quality/features/tone in singapore but i dont know the singapore amplifier market.

It would be a bit pricey in the US, overpriced in Europe, but probably fairly priced in asia I bleive. Id get it.

edit That or an Axe FX that you could get shipped from anywhere in the world.

jin

Reaction score
The invader is a really nice amp. I have no idea but I doubt you will find something with the same quality/features/tone in singapore but i dont know the singapore amplifier market.

It would be a bit pricey in the US, overpriced in Europe, but probably fairly priced in asia I bleive. Id get it.

edit That or an Axe FX that you could get shipped from anywhere in the world.

Well i bet the US market is better than SG there so many amp brands available plus cheap used deals for boutique amps.

Overpriced in Europe? I thought they were overpriced in the US since its made in Germany lol...but your wrong about the price in asia every guitar related thing is overpriced if you buy it new...plus they rarely ship in boutique brand amps and if they do its usually entry level.

If i do the axe-fx it will still cost more than the invader right? with the power amp plus cabinet...

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
The herbert and invader are pretty different amps. Buying a guitar blind is ok but not an amp imo. Have you tried either amp before?

How is buying a guitar, in which the same model could be entirely different, simply based on the wood they used that day, be okay to be blind, but not an amplifier?

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
My Invader 150 sounds better at low bedroom volume than my Peavey 5150 II sounds. It's not great for that though unless you want to consider buying a Hotplate of some sort.

The Herbert from what I have heard has a more "dry" sound to it. Both good amps though.

jin

Reaction score
My Invader 150 sounds better at low bedroom volume than my Peavey 5150 II sounds. It's not great for that though unless you want to consider buying a Hotplate of some sort.

The Herbert from what I have heard has a more "dry" sound to it. Both good amps though.

Whats not great? You meant to say that the invader is more suited to be played at higher volumes instead of lower volumes? Yea i remember hotplates are this thingys that help high wattage amps to reach their full potential while keeping volume low.

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
Overpriced in Europe? I thought they were overpriced in the US since its made in Germany lol...but your wrong about the price in asia every guitar related thing is overpriced if you buy it new...plus they rarely ship in boutique brand amps and if they do its usually entry level.

I was reffering to this particular offer. A used invader for 2150$ would be a bit pricey in US, way overpriced in Europe, probably fairly priceed in Asia!

Of course new, they are cheap in Europe, not cheap in US and overpriced in Asia.

evilsaint

Reaction score
I have these in my bedroom.:nuts:

IMG_1607.jpg

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I was reffering to this particular offer. A used invader for 2150$ would be a bit pricey in US, way overpriced in Europe, probably fairly priceed in Asia!

Of course new, they are cheap in Europe, not cheap in US and overpriced in Asia.

Thats basically what I paid for my Invader used from a music store in U.S. Mine was in perfectly Mint condition. Basically almost like $1000 off the price of a new amp for a Mint used amp is a good deal in my book. I bought mine like almost a year and a half ago.

I just meant that if you are gonna be using it for bedroom levels a lot it might not be the best choice unless you also plan on playing with a band or live much too. Otherwise like I said if you are gonna be playing any of these amps a lot for bedroom use I would get a Hotplate. That will def help some. The ENGL sounds pretty decent at a lower volume though considering it's such a loud amp.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stop pm'ing people to ask them about this. Reading the threads on here about the amp and this thread should be plenty for you to make a decision

Brian D

Reaction score
You should just spend quality time with both and decide which one you like more -- they both sound really different.

Also, when it comes to wattage, sure it's louder, but wattage drastically alters the overall voice of the amplifier. I live in a regular suburban block in Long Island, New York, and I could crank my amps all day and get in no trouble with anyone -- although my parents in the other room might kill me :ugh: Also, my friend, who lives a block away, has a Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet, which is 150 watts. He hits a pretty loud sweet spot all the time for a few hours every day without getting in trouble with his neighbors at all.

Any tube amp sounds like it really should when you crank it up a bit -- the amps were meant to get power amp saturation along with the base sound of the amplifier, to get the real experience of the amp. You can't play, say, my friend's Uberschall, at a whisper, and expect to really know what the amp sounds like. If you're not going to blast it a decent amount of the time you play, you're really missing out. Although you might still be able to dial in some somewhat decent quiet sounds, if you're gonna find yourself never cranking ever, it's not worth the investment. Be sure to crank it when you try it!

Latest posts

')