Engl Invader 2 vs Engl 6L6SE/El34SE vs Diezel VH4

Martialist

Reaction score
Which amp here is the best with price not being an issue?
-Tightness
-Leads
-Cleans
-Versatility
-Tone Customization
Also whats the difference between the 6l6 and El34 versions of the Engl Special Editions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

benduncan

Reaction score
I haven't played an Invader II or the vh4, but I have owned both the standard Invader and the SE. It's really hard to say which was better.

Tightness - Invader by a nose
Leads - Definitely the invader
Cleans - I'd say the SE takes it
Versatility/Tone Customization - Not really sure. The SE has more voicing options via buttons but the Invaders channels were much more diverse than the SE

The biggest question that would separate these two: Are you interested in a more compressed tone or something more organic?

Martialist

Reaction score
Maybe Organic...I play metalcore BFMV type of stuff so leads and rhythm are both important to me. I'd assume compression is better for rhythm and organic is important for soulful melodic leads. I'm more of a lead player than anything, so organic would be better. Which amp has which sound? Between these two amps, I probably could decide which is better, but I still need to learn more about the vh4 and the invader ii.

Manhell

Reaction score
I haven't played an Invader II or the vh4, but I have owned both the standard Invader and the SE. It's really hard to say which was better.

Tightness - Invader by a nose
Leads - Definitely the invader
Cleans - I'd say the SE takes it
Versatility/Tone Customization - Not really sure. The SE has more voicing options via buttons but the Invaders channels were much more diverse than the SE

The biggest question that would separate these two: Are you interested in a more compressed tone or something more organic?

I have had an Invader and I own a VH4 now and the VH4 is much much tighter.

Leads- Vh4, the compressed nature of the 4th channel is awesome for that or even the 2nd channel with a booster or tube screamer,
Cleans- definitely the VH4, they are by far much better than the ones in the invader, the invader starts braking up too early, the VH4 have a clean that is almost the same as the Hiwatt, I have had both side by side.
Versatility, although the Invader have a lot of features it goes around the same sound and the Vh4 is customizable but has its own nature.

Now about the periferic stuff, the VH4 comes with a lot of easy to use feature that are very helpful for any rig.

I found the noise gate on the invader a bit useless and the VH4 is so quiet that I do not use one with mine.

If you want my full review go to my site and check it out, the sit is still on the making please don't hate ;)

The Abacus Gear - Amplifiers

botom line, VH4 is the one I recomend

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Engl SE EL34 across the board. EL34 / 6L6 designates the type of power tubes, as each has different sonic properties.

t o k u g a w a

Reaction score
I have owned The VH4, Engl SE EL34, and the Invader.

The VH4 was and is my favorite amp of all time. It is tight, clear, articulate, and crushing when you want it to be. There are just some amp sounds you cannot replicate, and the VH4 tone is one of them. (unless you count the axefx, it pulls it off after some tweaking)

The SE had amazing clean tones. I was surprised because of the amount of gain you could dial in on that amp. Overall, it was great sounding, but a little on the sterile side. Maybe a little bit too crunchy for my tastes.

The Invader felt like a tube amp. It was warm and expressive, but tight. I found myself only using 2 of the channels. Chan 1 and Chan 3. Cleans were expressive, you could dial them in to ring out like fender or give them a little warmth. Chan 3 was the workhorse. I did everything else on that channel. Solos to chugg/riffing.

I would be interested to hear the new invader A/B'd with the original model.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I owned the SE - everything else being more in the realm of subjectiveness, the vh4 is waaay tighter.

sonofabias

Reaction score
I've owned and used the Invader 150 as well as using a V4 in rehearsal for several years . The Invader having been used live' , it has a very " organic " tone as everyone here seems to agree . I used channel 3 ( reminds me of a moded marshall with more bottom and crisp "rich " mids ) most of the time for rhythm parts and leads occasionally while chain 4 was used exclusively for leads . The Invaders chann 1 was used clean , which I can describe in a few words , "shimmering and three dimensional " IMHO. Flexibility is the name of the game with the Invader , but the noise gate is pretty useless . I loved getting to know the V4 , what a amp ! It is scary quiet without a noise gate , for my taste it was dark , very compressed but very flexible and loud . The V4 would not be my first choice as you can probably tell but it would be my second , it simply roars deep and dark ! I spoke with Michael several months ago about the Invader II which should be available soon he said , it also has 2 clean channels and hopefully a better noise gate . Haven't tried either version of the SE but I'm hoping to pick up the SE pre amp sometime soon having just found an Engl 920 stereo power amp ( el 34s ) ! :shred:

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I own an Invader 150 and I have tried out an ENGL SE EL34. Maybe I just needed more time to go through everything on the SE and tweak it more, but overall I still liked my Invader better. I have never played a VH4, but I do like the way they sound, but overall seem like a different beast from the ENGL's.

The Invader 2 with the optional sound module will give you crazy amounts of adjusting and the Invader alone is a pretty versatile amp already. That would be my personal choice, but maybe that's, because I just really like the Invader regardless.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
i havent played an invader II but i am going to be a proud owner of a 150 soon and im loving the dynamics the invader gives you in the amount of girth from the overall saturation of the gain tones.

Ola Englund does have a video where he shows off the Vh4 with his take one Bleed by Meshuggah and it is properly tight like a moist pussycat.

sonofabias

Reaction score
I own an Invader 150 and I have tried out an ENGL SE EL34. Maybe I just needed more time to go through everything on the SE and tweak it more, but overall I still liked my Invader better. I have never played a VH4, but I do like the way they sound, but overall seem like a different beast from the ENGL's.

The Invader 2 with the optional sound module will give you crazy amounts of adjusting and the Invader alone is a pretty versatile amp already. That would be my personal choice, but maybe that's, because I just really like the Invader regardless.

As I said , I really hope they've improved the Invaders noise gate which to my ears is one of its few flaws .:metal:

')