ENGL MOD!!!! (powerball content)

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
after months of sub par tone searching on his powerball, my friend took it in to an amp tech to have it modded for EL-34s... i think he went JJ's....
Anyways, IT SOUNDS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH BEEETTER!

Especially on the lo gain channel. Its kind of got a high gain crunchy sound that I can only describe as soldano-y. Steroid-pumped marshally. Really very different than the way it sounded before. Waaaay more organic.

Clean tone was nice too, definitely chimier than with the 6l6s, but cool nonetheless.

im an invader guy, and this is the first time that the powerball totally blew me away!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
sometimes a set of fresh tubes can make a night or day difference in an amp, and boy is it nice when it does. it's an engl so i'm sure it sounded awesome before, but it's just a matter of being able to unlock your tone out of it. cheers!

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
lol its an engl that DIDNT sound so good before!
ill try to get clips by the weekend. i think ill be in the studio.... tomorrow?

anyways, if anyone is bored with their powerball, do this mod!

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
afaik, its only a bias-mod, as the Powerball is fixed bias and set for 6L6s with a grade of <insert correct value here>.

sith

Reaction score
I'm gonna bump this :wavey:

I hope we're can get a little more "in depth" description of a sound change, maybe even clips:ugh:

sith

Reaction score
well I fail to see what's wrong with people being curious about modding powerball... I'm own powerball and I like the way it sounds , but there are two things I would change:
1. dynamics
2. more mids (for cutting through in band situation)

I'm searching for quite some time for people who have modded their powerball and here is the first guy who made that kind of mod... to bad he's not willing to discus it.:realmad:

It's not that powerball is not good enough for me, it is, but hardly :)
when I take care of those two things it'll be awsome:hbang:

please, don't take this as a personal attack or something:rolleyes:

sith

Reaction score
just another bump , anyone else who has done this mod and is willing to answer some questions?
I've checked almost all internets and found nothing else anywhere about this :(

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
it's an engl so i'm sure it sounded awesome before...

They're certainly capable of sounding bad.

That said, glad to hear that this worked out for your friend! I'd be curious to hear a PB with EL34s.

Gotty

Reaction score
I would also be very keen to know more about this mod.

i own a powerball and a dual rec but i would love to pull a more cutting mid range sound from the ball. I love its chunk but it could have more cut like the mesa.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I know the original post is kind of old, but why would you spend more money on a head you didn't like in the first place? It's a $2k head, if you don't like the tone, I think it would be best to sell it off, and buy something with a tone you did dig, and mod it to make you like it even more.

Doesn't really apply to the people asking about the mod after though, these guys seem to dig it.

sith

Reaction score
Well, it's not that I dislike the tone of amp,.. it's just a different kind of GAS if you know what I mean:rolleyes:
I really don't have a lot of money and in my country no store holds amps like mesa, bogner, fryette... so I'm pretty lucky as it is :))
Everything I need is to make this amp more present in the mix, so I intend to reduce gain with different preamp tubes ( I never use gain past 9
o clock anyway) which should also make it sound less compressed (so I was told),.... When I heard about el34's making powerball sound more organic I naturally become interested and now there is nobody to be found with clips or even to just elaborate a little :noplease:

well, I might do this mod nevertheless, but it might take a while (not enough money even for this) and I don't have recording equipement, so I'll not be able to provide you with any clips :squint: