ENGL or Peavey?

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
From my experience the 6505 is a stupidly loud amp, and doesn't sound half way decent unless cranked.

The fireball would probably be the better bet with the lower wattage, don't underestimate how much air 60 watts can move. Seriously.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From my experience the 6505 is a stupidly loud amp, and doesn't sound half way decent unless cranked.

The fireball would probably be the better bet with the lower wattage, don't underestimate how much air 60 watts can move. Seriously.

If you think the 6505 doesn't sound too good unless it's cranked wait till you hear a FB60. :lol:

It's 2013, do folks still think a difference between 60 and 120 watts means diddly squat? You're looking at a 3db difference, on the high side, when it comes to perceived volume it's almost non-existent.

irrgent

Reaction score
Alright, i'm pretty much sold on the 6505 at the moment. My only concern is the volume issue. I'm not living in an apartment or anything so I can play a bit louder, and I have had a 100 watt tube amp before which I played fairly loudly. If it's to loud, has anyone here used an attenuator? Do they have much of an effect on the sound other than making it quieter? Thanks for all the responses as well.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I just can't get behind this statement, the FB60 I had was a one trick pony if there ever was one. The "cleans" are harsh and lifeless which means getting softer/slightly dirty tones a chore, and the almost clinical dynamics and compression makes straight rock tones nearly impossible to pull off.

When they designed the E625 ENGL wanted it to be a stripped down, high gain metal amp. It does that incredibly well in the right context.

I've owned a Fireball 60 and two 5150s (the original 6505).

You're right!
I was confusing it with one of its tww channel cousins.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry too much about volume. People make a bigger deal than it really is. They sound fine at house volumes.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Get the Peavey, you will not be sorry. I had one until I went all digital and I loved it. Hell...now I only use Peavey 5150/6505 profiles on my Kemper :)

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Get the Peavey, you will not be sorry. I had one until I went all digital and I loved it. Hell...now I only use Peavey 5150/6505 profiles on my Kemper :)

So you sold your 5150/6505 just to spend $1700 on a piece of gear to emulate a 5150/6505?

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
So you sold your 5150/6505 just to spend $1700 on a piece of gear to emulate a 5150/6505?

Not directly and it wasn't by choice. I had to downsize my rig substantially. Used the cash from the sale of the head and cab for a decent FRFR setup and an HD500. HD500 bit the dust so I got the Kemper.

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
YouTube

Here is a pretty weak review i tried to do with both amps. I recordered my other guitarist jammin a little with both amps. The fireball is his and 6505 is mine. Maybe it will kind of give you a little difference tonewise with both amps. I can tell you a little about both amps. First they are both bad assed amps. :) in there own ways. The fire ball has a little more gain and is actually a little heavier. 6505 is also high gain but not quite as much as fireball. 6505 is a whole lot louder. When we jam with the drummer the fireball volume is usually maxed out and i keep the 6505 around 4.5. If i go up to 5 u can not hear the fireball. Alot of people say that the fireball does not cut well in the mix. I think it will cut just fine. Like i said the 6505 has alot more power. I usually use a boost maxon 808 with my 6505 and gives it that little extra push it needs. I usually have a eq pedal in the loop but now i have stoped using it because i dont like the way it changes my tone even with all settings on 0. Cant g wrong with either one. Me personally i would get fireball 100 if anything just so that you can have that extra power that will get you through any situation you may find yourself in. Both amps have nice low end. Engl is a little brighter. 6505 more mids. Both evil as hell.:)

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
For some reason link didnt post. Just search clinton melton and check out my videos it will be the most recent one. Dont judge mine or my friend that i am recording with the amps because i nor he claim to be guitar geniuses.

Erik Ekholm

Composer | Guitarist
Reaction score
Alright, i'm pretty much sold on the 6505 at the moment. My only concern is the volume issue. I'm not living in an apartment or anything so I can play a bit louder, and I have had a 100 watt tube amp before which I played fairly loudly. If it's to loud, has anyone here used an attenuator? Do they have much of an effect on the sound other than making it quieter? Thanks for all the responses as well.

I use a Koch attenuator, the big 160W model, if anything, it makes the sound even more tight!

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Not directly and it wasn't by choice. I had to downsize my rig substantially. Used the cash from the sale of the head and cab for a decent FRFR setup and an HD500. HD500 bit the dust so I got the Kemper.

Understandable. Just poking a bit of fun!

:cheers:

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Undoubtedly this is a biased statement but I love my 6505 (too broke to buy an ENGL and my 6505 was only 400 bucks :lol: ). I love the cleans, don't really use the rhythm channel (although when I tried it it did have some decent old rock tones) and really really love the über brutal lead channel.

One thing I've always done at low volumes is click on an overdrive. It doesn't make it sound as good as when it's cranked but it keeps it from being so muddy at least. :shrug:

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
If you think the 6505 doesn't sound too good unless it's cranked wait till you hear a FB60. :lol:

It's 2013, do folks still think a difference between 60 and 120 watts means diddly squat? You're looking at a 3db difference, on the high side, when it comes to perceived volume it's almost non-existent.

I would have to highly disagree with this statement at least regaurding these two particular amps. There is a huge difference volume wise between the Fireball 60 watt and a Peavey 6505 120 watt amp. Said this before already but i will say it again. i own 6505 and my other guitarist owns the fireball 60. when we jam with the drummer the fireballs volume is maxed out and my 6505 stays around 4.5 on the post. If i go up to 5 on the post the fireball is completely drowned out by the 6505. So i would say there is a big difference volume wise. You could then argue will most people ever need that much volume and would have to go with No. But it is it fun to jam on an amp cranked at ungodly volumes. Yes with earing protection. :)

WarMachine

Reaction score
Dude, listen to me and lemme save you about 250-500 bucks....do not...DO NOT buy an attenuator!!! ok, back to reality for a sec, i can't ENTIRELY vote them out, but i can sure as shit for one: the marshall powerbrake. i got one hoping i could get all the 5150 loud, high gain goodness at home at a whisper....WRONG! All it did was kill volume and suck tone like a bad wireless dude. Im in on the 5150 pull, go for it man! And dont look back! :shred:

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
Peavey at lest you know youll get good CS from them and youll most likely never need a backup

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
Dude, listen to me and lemme save you about 250-500 bucks....do not...DO NOT buy an attenuator!!! ok, back to reality for a sec, i can't ENTIRELY vote them out, but i can sure as shit for one: the marshall powerbrake. i got one hoping i could get all the 5150 loud, high gain goodness at home at a whisper....WRONG! All it did was kill volume and suck tone like a bad wireless dude. Im in on the 5150 pull, go for it man! And dont look back! :shred:

The Marshall power brake is awful deft don't judge attenuators off of one. I would highly recommend the THD hot plate for one. The 5150 is a far better bang for the buck imho.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Yeah i wish i had more experience with them, im sure it was just a turd, just speaking for the powerbrake only, as for THD i've heard only good things about them. But then also i've only heard negative things about using an attenuator with a 5150, as they are more preamp strong vs power amp strong.

')