ENGL or Peavey?

wat

Reaction score
I am mostly playing at home so the ENGL could be good if it sounds good without being turned up really high, but I will be joining a band in about a month. Which amp is overall more versatile (including the clean channel)?

If you're concerned about a clean channel at all, then just go with the ENGL. Cleans on the 6505 are awful unless you have really low output pickups, then they are just "okay"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're concerned about a clean channel at all, then just go with the ENGL. Cleans on the 6505 are awful unless you have really low output pickups, then they are just "okay"

You've obviously never been in the room with an FB60. Some of the worst "cleans" you'll find. I use quotes because it technically doesn't even have a clean channel, just a lower gain mode. It's just like coaxing cleans out of the Red or Orange channel on a Recto, yeah you can get minimal saturation and distortion, but unless you're in a real bind, look elsewhere for cleans.

wat

Reaction score
You've obviously never been in the room with an FB60.

Yes I have :rolleyes:

Some of the worst "cleans" you'll find. I use quotes because it technically doesn't even have a clean channel, just a lower gain mode. It's just like coaxing cleans out of the Red or Orange channel on a Recto, yeah you can get minimal saturation and distortion, but unless you're in a real bind, look elsewhere for cleans.

Still better than coaxing the cleans out of a 6505!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I'd almost be inclined to think your 6505 was broken if you found its cleans worse than the FB60, which I found to be some of the worst offered on a modern guitar amp. :lol:

Like, it was bad enough that I considered bringing around a second "clean amp" for use when I had my FB60. :nuts:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Alright, i'm pretty much sold on the 6505 at the moment. My only concern is the volume issue. I'm not living in an apartment or anything so I can play a bit louder, and I have had a 100 watt tube amp before which I played fairly loudly.

You should be fine in a house with the 6505. It is a loud freakin amp no doubt, wouldn't recommend if your girl is watching TV or something, but you should be able to crank it enough to get a nice tone in a house. I do agree it gets better up loud, kinda harsh down low IMO. I live in a town home with really great insulation between walls. When no one's home i can get away with close to band level volumes....well, in short bursts at least! No complaints yet....

Like, it was bad enough that I considered bringing around a second "clean amp" for use when I had my FB60. :nuts:

the cleans on the 5150 are what inspired my A/B setup with the Pod for cleans, so i know what you mean. If an amp's cleans have a musician (with no roadie) considering hauling double the gear to the gig, then it's case closed, they stink!

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
Dude on my 5150 all i need is a reverb and my cleans are good there no fender clean but if you want all that get a 5150 III

viesczy

Reaction score
Peavey all day, every day and 4 times on Sunday.

Engl's just are meh to my ears and their build quality for their price/tones is a bit :eek:

YMMV

Derek

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
Go for the 6505.
Why?

* better resale value
* more usable gain (the 6505 has already "too much" on tap, with the F60 I found everything over 12:00 totally unusable)
* better mids and dynamics (the mids of a 6505 are what makes them so desired, and it's a more responsive amp than the pretty overcompressed F60)
* easier to dial in good sounds (there are a few really good sound in the F60, but also a lot of really bad ones - to get a bad sound with a 6505 one has to make an effort, kinda)
* better cleans (both cleanchannels are by far not my favourite ones, both do not really have a dedicated cleanchannel - but the 6505 clean is still better matched to the eq than with the F60)
* more headroom (the F60 has only like 35 real Watts, pretty undersized transformers etc...)
*the 6505 is more versatile ... it sounds like a 6505 all the time, but you can go from decent rock to decent clean to decent solosounds to drushing brutal tones ... with a F60 this is much more difficult
* it comes with a booster xD

if it were the F100 vs 6505 it'd be a different, more difficult story. but like this it's a nobrainer imHo

irrgent

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Anyway I have decided to go for the Peavey. Will be getting it at the end of the week.

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Anyway I have decided to go for the Peavey. Will be getting it at the end of the week.

You wont be disapointed. What kind of cab/speakers will you be using with it. A noise gate isa must have with this amp. I would recommend a overdrive pedal as well. Hope you dig the amp and gongratulations.:)

Reaction score
the 6505 is one hell of a workhorse amp while the ENGL FB60 is exactly what you'd expect it to be. I'd say best bang for your buck would be a 6505+

Edit: Plus, the 6505 looks badass after you've beaten it up on the road.

irrgent

Reaction score
I'm getting an OD pedal with the amp and I have an fx processor with lots of different OD models which sounds pretty good, and also can be used as a gate so I should be all set with pedals. Only problem is i'll be playing through a Marshall MG cab which from what I understand isn't that great. Planning on upgrading in the future.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
if you want to save some more change.
theres an Engl Powerball I on Guitar Center thats going for $1500
it'll do what you want and alot more!
but if you cant. i can say i havent played a bad engl EVER.
they're built with quality and sound amazing every time you plug into one.
i vote ENGL for your choice. you won't regret it and the kids on your block will think you're rich with a German made amp. lol

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
I'm getting an OD pedal with the amp and I have an fx processor with lots of different OD models which sounds pretty good, and also can be used as a gate so I should be all set with pedals. Only problem is i'll be playing through a Marshall MG cab which from what I understand isn't that great. Planning on upgrading in the future.

Cab should be fine. I started out with an old peavey cab from the 80s and it actually sounded decent. I eventually upgraded to an Orange with v30s. Gear is expensive so i have been doung it in steeps. But it never ends there is allways something new i want:) i would ditch the effects processor though. My experience they change tone to much. I kind of dig the sound of the 6505 its self so try to avoid from making drastic changes. 6505 is also high gain which also makes it a noisy amp.i tried a few effects proccessor gates and they couldnt get the job done. Instead i eventually got a dedicated noisegate. Which from the start was a ISP decimator and then later on upgraded to gstring decimator. Alot of people usually go with ISP Decimator or Boss NS2. I also heard some good things about MXR noise clamp. Good luck with the amp. Would love to hear your music. Post something up sometime. :)

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with a 6505+. I sold my Powerball and replaced it with a 6505+. The 6505 sits better in the mix (not that the Powerball doesn't cut through or isn't loud enough). The cleans on the 6505+ are plenty good if you aren't using ridiculously high output pickups. I get great cleans on my 6505+ with any of my guitars. I've got DiMarzio Dominions, EMGs (81, 85, 60, HA), SD (Distortion, JB, '59) and I can get usable cleans with anything except the 81 in the bridge.

Shaman

Reaction score
You made the right decision, the 6505 is the way to go!

ENGL's tend to be amps that sound cool when you are playing 'em by yourself, very easy to play and quite hi-fi sounding. BUT, the ones that I have tried have been very lifeless, over compressed and don't really cut through when playing with a band.

My friend and his bandmates were endorsed by ENGL but in the end, they sold the ENGL's and got 6505's because they always had trouble hearing themselves on stage.

I have owned an ENGL Invader and a 6505, and out of those two, I would most definetly go with the 6505. The Invader, like I said before, sounded nice when playing alone, but with a band it was hell to hear yourself even with the mids cranked full. And it really did not have those picking dynamics that one would expect from a tube amp, it was super compressed so it made playing.. well too easy and didn't really let the playing dynamics shine through.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my amp trajectory over the last decade went like this;
Peavey XXX (thought it always sounded unbalanced, axed it quick)
6505 (scratch and dent, condition was way worse than expected, swapped it out for..)
6505+
Mesa Dual Rec
ENGL Powerball v1 (then for a short bit added a 5150 II)
Found out we were having twins instead of a single baby, sold both heads, now I'm with a
5150 III. Very happy with it, would love to add a Mesa back into the mix alongside it. Best combo ever.

In my opinion the 5150 lineage represents one of the most versatile, cutting workhorse amps ever built. If I had a better understanding of how to give and take in the effects loop originally, I probably would've never sold my 6505+. It's the best value for any head that I've seen and it's loud as all hell.
I was really into the ENGL for a while and always liked the clips I heard, but had to be honest with myself. I felt that no matter what I was doing it still had a very "British" sound to it. For as many options as it had I felt that I shouldn't be running as many effects as I was to get a sound that I really liked.
The 5150 III did the job more effectively and for a much better price. Right now the only permanent effects that I run in the loop is a sonic stomp, and I'm just boosting it a touch to get the extra umph in the sound.

TL;DR: You won't find a better value and great sounding workhorse than the 5150 lineage.

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
A few things here

I had a 6505 and it had one of the best metal tones that I 've ever heard. It was incredible. However, if you aren't playing loud enough to play over the drums, it doesn't sound very good. With the post volume below the 8 'oclock position, it's terrible. It is noisy, but isn't too bad. Remember, the 5150 and 5150II were designed for Eddie Van Halen. You can pretty much guarantee that you'll get the tone that you want out of it. It does pretty well with matching your string articulaion and responds well to volume position. On the other hand, the cleans absolutely suck. That and the low volume tone is why I sold it.

The 6505 and the 5150 II are the same amp with very, very minor differences. IIRC, there is no difference that affects tone between the 2. Per the head-engineer when I toured the engineering facility in Meridian, MS, they used a few different brands of resistors on the early 5150IIs, but nothing major. However, the 6505 and the 5150 I aren't the same amp.

It does sound pretty good when cranked. I'd get it. Also, a lot of people say that the stock speakers are really bad. However, once you break them in, they REALLY open up. If it's used, they're likely broken in.

I can't speak much for the FB60 because I've never played one.

EDIT: It takes a little time to dial them in;don't make a decision within 5 minutes of playing it.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Marshall MG cab with a 6505....dude that's a sad story.
I prefer grab a Dark Terror and a good cab than only a great Tube Head.
Cabs are so important, you will be disappointed IMO. And don't think 6505 has this tone.
You'll just get the MG cab Tone....A pig pile of vomit.
Push the Peavey around 6-7 and your cab will fell on the knees and explode. Don't forget to film it, it could be really fun :)

')