Engl Savage 120 or Peavey 6505+

• Thread starter havocvulture10
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
I currently own the 6505+. I've had it for 8 months. I might have the opportunity to purchase any brand new Engl for a significantly reduced price.

What should I do? What would you guys do?
Just so you know, I'm completely satisfied with the 6505+... :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
Would I be losing anything? Like the 6505's high gain output?
How is Engl's build quality?

While I don't really like the core tone of most ENGL amps I've heard (going by clips alone, I'd still love to play through one), I'm sure you're paying for a very high quality amp.

The Savage will be just as mean and high gain as the 6505+, it'll just be a different flavor. I bet the Savage has better cleans too, but that's not saying much since the 6505's cleans are pretty terrible.

I'd just stick with the 6505, but that's because I'm boring and I love how 6505's sound.

mike0

Reaction score
i'd say go for it. i've never played an ENGL in person, but i think it'd be cool to get one. new tones and amps are always fun. they do seem like quality amps and you couldn't go wrong if metal is on your mind. from what i can tell from clips, also, is that they are super tight but compressed like a mofo. if you get it at a significantly reduced price and you don't like it then you could always turn it for more than what you payed and pick up another 6505+ since they're in no shortage of to get at a reasonable price. this is unless of course you NEED an amp that has the 6505 sound for whatever reason.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
i'd say go for it. i've never played an ENGL in person, but i think it'd be cool to get one. new tones and amps are always fun. they do seem like quality amps and you couldn't go wrong if metal is on your mind. from what i can tell from clips, also, is that they are super tight but compressed like a mofo. if you get it at a significantly reduced price and you don't like it then you could always turn it for more than what you payed and pick up another 6505+ since they're in no shortage of to get at a reasonable price. this is unless of course you NEED an amp that has the 6505 sound for whatever reason.

This is what I was thinking... I'd definitely like to try it out... I'm sure I'd be able to find another 6505+ pretty easily if i dont like it...

More responses are welcome :yesway:

Reaction score
You should check out the Soldano SLO if you got the monies.

Personally, I am satisfied with my 5150 more so than with my old V1 Powerball.

The Savage never really interested me, the clips I have heard sound kind of warm and dark, but tight.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
You should check out the Soldano SLO if you got the monies.

Personally, I am satisfied with my 5150 more so than with my old V1 Powerball.

The Savage never really interested me, the clips I have heard sound kind of warm and dark, but tight.

I definitely do not have the money haha, I'm only considering an Engl cuz i might be able to get one for 50% off, and that's still too much :lol: but its really such a good deal that I don't wanna pass it up.

Vinchester

Reaction score
If you're already satisfied with what you have then don't buy anything. Hah that sounds so un-American.

Regarding Savage 120 I think Jeff Loomis use one doesn't he? That says a lot!

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I'd do it if it was financially possible... no question. Then if I really miss my 5150 I could always get another. I mean they're everywhere and can be had for a decent price all the time here in CA and the states :lol:

SSK0909

Reaction score
The 5150/6505's have a great distorted tone with some very aggressive high mids.

Yo wont get a "better" distorted tone with the Engl, but different.

The Engl will be less open, really compressed and somewhat darker.

But when it comes to clean to hard rock crunch sounds and versatility it will beat your 6505+.

So if you play with distortion 90-100% of the time and love the sound of your 6505+, dont bother.

But if you need more versatility, better clean and low gain tones and perhaps just want to try a different flavour of distorted tone. Go for the Engl.

Worst case scenario you can probably sell/trade the Engl and get a 6505+ again. After all it's not the rarest amp around is it :)

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
I will be the one to recommend the 6505 instead. Engl's are great but after a while their voicing can get on your nerves....its like screwing that really hot blonde but realizing she's dumb as a rock and you're paying for it in the long run. I could also recommend finding a used SLO on the market or going for an Engl Blackmore which is a revoiced Savage 120. 5150's have the aggressive mids voicing which will cut through a band mix like a hot knife through butter. Engl would sound better in studio, but the 6505 can be mixed and paired and re-amped with other amplifiers without sounding bad at all. One of the heaviest sickest tones i have ever heard was a 7 string through a 5150 II and a JCM900 dual tracked.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
Go for the ENGL, bro. 6505+'s are everywhere, cheap. You can buy a new one easy, or a used one too, if you don't like the ENGL.

Plus the ENGL probably has a much better clean channel.

I don't know. Do iiit!

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
The 6505+'s are great, but I mean ENGL are boutique amps. The one's I've played just have so much more head room and tone.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses!

I pretty much agree with what all of you are saying... I'd definitely like to try the Engl out, especially considering I might be able to get it for half price, which is still double what I paid for the 6505+ :lol:
With the Peavey, I really like the high gain and the mids.
I play Death/Black Metal, so 90% of the time im on the lead channel haha... I don't really like the cleans though, and I'd like an amp with nice cleans.

I think the cool thing to do would be just to go for it haha :hbang:
If I dont like it im sure I can get what ever I spent back, and still get another 6505+... The thing is, I still need a quality cab :ugh:

It doesnt help that Im a college student...

havocvulture10

Reaction score
I've also read a few things that say the build quality of Engl's circuitry isn't as high end as it should be... is there any truth to this? It would suck to have it crap out on me of I do end up getting one...

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
Absolutely not... ENGL's are built to last and everyone who's used them said nothing but how great they are. Dude if you can score a Savage for half the price of a new Savage, it's obligatory to get the amp. Listen to Ihsahn's "After" to get an idea of how tight it can stay even with an 8 string. The 6505 is great but it's more of a "budget" amp. It's more of a one trick pony that can do distortion great, but that's it.

I don't know why you're second guessing yourself over getting the Savage, especially with such a good deal ;)

')