Entirely self-produced quality instrumental metal guitar album here! :)

• Thread starter syndrone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Man, this is the best thing I've seen posted here in a long time. Awesome that you got Paul to guest solo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
Thanks mate! Same here with the bass, especially addicted to heavy palm mutes here ;P

I used the PVY 6160 Block and blended a Marshall and a Mesa Rectifier cab together. Both IR`s were from Digital Rosen (great IR`s!).
Cool, thanks. I own some Rosen IRs. I didn't really like them because they sounded too scooped and shrill. Maybe ill give them another go because tone sounds great. I use a Line 6 Helix with mostly Ownhammer IRs

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Very well done!

What are you using for bass and drums?

ascl

Reaction score
Nice work! Snagged a download, maybe you should put in on bandcamp? Also, any chance of getting a FLAC version rather than mp3?

feilong29

Reaction score
Wow! Frikkin amazing!!!!!!! Reminds me of Paul Wardingham/Loomis/Scar Symmetry, but just as original as they are. Gonna buy as soon as I get home. Thanks for this brother. I wish I could be half as good as you with mixing and compositions. Are you self-taught or did you learn theory and stuff? So many questions haha.

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
thanks guys! :)
Fredrik Thordendal, Per Nilsson and Jeff Loomis definitely had a big impact on me as a guitar player back in the day (apart from the shrapnel guys, obvously). Throw in Paul Wardingham and Andy James to complete the list and I feel like I need to go practicing again hahaha!

ascl: It is already on bandcamp (in .wav!) btw:
https://syndrone.bandcamp.com/releases

If you snagged a download from my website then you should be able to download mp3 AND .wav actually. If not, then I guess something went wrong. Shoot me a message on syndrone-music@hotmail.com with your details and I will have a look when I'm home on Thursday.
Also: Thanks for the support! :) \m/

feilong29: I am completely self-taught. Mostly trial and error and googling for solutions plus countless sleepless, frustrated nights.. haha Eventually I got better and enough confident to self-produce. It was also the only way to make the album happen as I would have not been able to afford a mixing/mastering engineer because all other things such as artwork, equipment, CD production etc are expensive enough.... My bank account definitely reveals that I'm a musician hahaha!

About further questions: I'm happy to answer whatever you'd like to know if it's any helpful for you! :]

Last edited:

syndrone

Reaction score
Sorry for the double reply, somehow missed some of the content...

Man, this is the best thing I've seen posted here in a long time. Awesome that you got Paul to guest solo!

Glad you dig it! :) And Paul is such a kind person, man! Needless to say his solo is also awesome! Can't wait for his new album!

Cool, thanks. I own some Rosen IRs. I didn't really like them because they sounded too scooped and shrill. Maybe ill give them another go because tone sounds great. I use a Line 6 Helix with mostly Ownhammer IRs

They have a kinda scooped sound but I really like that. I found most IR's to sound quite honky, though not sure how the Helix sounds. But Ownhammer are really cool, too! :)

Do a play through video! This shit is badass!

There is already one playthrough on YT ("Neuronic Breakdown") from last year! :)
On the road now but when I'm home, I will shoot a playthrough of "Epsilon Eclipse" and tabs will be available for anyone who is interested as well as the whole track without the lead guitar to play along! ;p

Very well done!

What are you using for bass and drums?
Drums are entirely Steven Slate Drums (can't remember which kick and snare though..).
For bass I used a midi bass (Texas Grind) but also blended it with my real bass that I tracked. Mixed together to glue better with the guitars in the midrange, though I could/shoule have gone either midi only or real tracked bass only. Definitely won't do that again as it was more effort than worth it in the end! hahaha Funny experience tho and lots of sonic possibilities! :]

Last edited:

ascl

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I assume I managed to F it up somehow, cause I only see the MP3 download. I shot you an email.

You have done a really good job on this album, definitely impressed!

syndrone

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I assume I managed to F it up somehow, cause I only see the MP3 download. I shot you an email.

You have done a really good job on this album, definitely impressed!

I am pretty sure the download got fucked up.. there is actually nothing you could do wrong on your end.
I will be home on Thursday and will take care of it. Can send you the download then with all the artwork as well

Thanks! :) Good feedback means a lot to me! When I did the album there were times I thought: "what have I done?!" haha so I'm really glad people enjoy it in the end! :)

Xifter

Reaction score
This caused me to make my first post in I don't know how many years.

Few thoughts:
1) the sound is massive in a good way.

2) Style though subjective, I personally loved. Some of the rhythm reminded me of Fear Factory only a more modern take. I definitely hear the shuggah and scar symmetry influences. Overall, can't say much more. My posting should give you credence to how well I thought of just the teasers alone.

3) I am happy to support you buy paying for your music some how, but am very sad to hear this is not available on Spotify. I love your music so far and was going to throw it in autorotation in my Spotify!

4) if you have a goal for what you want to achieve financially for this project (no need to share) do you believe it possible to raise or obtain those funds through another method? Then possibly re-upload to Spotify at some point? I think by it not being on Spotify, you limit your potential audience and those who would fund your next project etc.

Buying soon as I get home from work

syndrone

Reaction score
This caused me to make my first post in I don't know how many years.

Few thoughts:
1) the sound is massive in a good way.

2) Style though subjective, I personally loved. Some of the rhythm reminded me of Fear Factory only a more modern take. I definitely hear the shuggah and scar symmetry influences. Overall, can't say much more. My posting should give you credence to how well I thought of just the teasers alone.

3) I am happy to support you buy paying for your music some how, but am very sad to hear this is not available on Spotify. I love your music so far and was going to throw it in autorotation in my Spotify!

4) if you have a goal for what you want to achieve financially for this project (no need to share) do you believe it possible to raise or obtain those funds through another method? Then possibly re-upload to Spotify at some point? I think by it not being on Spotify, you limit your potential audience and those who would fund your next project etc.

Buying soon as I get home from work

Thanks for your kind feedback and thoughts! :) I think you made some very valid points. I guess it's a complicated but also very interesting topic, but well worth discussing!

Honestly, I am not about making money from this first album or trying to make as much money as possible in general. My financial goal would be to cover as much of the expenses that I had with the creation of it: artwork, pressing the CD, website, etc.
No need to be intransparent here on my end, so the expenses are around 2'000.00 dollars (of which I have not even covered 1/4th yet). :) That way I would feel like it is a nice hobby and the reward wouldn't be money, but happy people/listeners, good socializing moments, chats and maybe exposure.

Initially, I wanted to give out the album for free to get as much exposure as possible btw, but the reaction was that some people treated it as worthless because it "didn't cost anything".... Some wouldn't even listen to it and just skip through the album in 1.5 minutes...

I like the theoretical idea of streaming services, so artists get both exposure AND money for their hard work. Great in theory but in practice we all know that nobody earns money from the streaming platforms - except the streaming platform itself (by ads or subscriptions). So I think streaming platforms such as Spotify are great for already known and big names who already sold millions of albums and are all about boosting their media-presence.
On the other hand, I can absolutely see your point in this regard so I am not trying to argue against it.. :]

The main reason I do not want to support Spotify and the likes is because they make everything available immediately at everyone's fingertips basically for free, so music in general gets devaluated a lot in my opinion (or whatever you throw at society for free). Many people would probably start to expect music to be entirely free and would lose perception of what it actually needs to make good quality music (which is probably already happening). Also, I kinda feel like good quality music would become rarer because somehow it wouldn't be worth to invest so much time and energy into making it..

I try to see it as a big picture, really. One of the biggest losses of humanity would be that people stop being passionate about music and instruments, mainly because it is not worth anymore to become better and reach for the big goals because those goals might not even exist anymore (if that makes any sense...!).

...a really long post now, possibly out of hand (sorry!), but definitely worth discussing about this topic! :)
I guess there are as many pro's as contra's.
I think if I managed to cover half of the costs for the album I could see myself re-uploading it. Maybe even earlier, as the small release "hype" for the album is pretty much over already hahaha!

I'd love to read other opinions about this topic to be honest!

syndrone

Reaction score
TL;DR: Streaming services are good and bad and I don't really know if it's worth it yet or not for me but I don't want to ruin it for people who love and rely on them so I might re-upload the album sooner or later.. or so... : )

Last edited:

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
TL;DR: Streaming services are good and bad and I don't really know if it's worth it yet or not for me but I don't want to ruin it for people who love and rely on them so I might re-upload the album sooner or later.. or so... : )
FWIW, if I find a new, independent artist through Spotify, I'll usually check to see if they also have a Bandcamp page. If I like the material, I'll also purchase the FLAC album through Bandcamp to add it to my network playlist at home ... which I also did with your album. :)

Cheers!

syndrone

Reaction score
FWIW, if I find a new, independent artist through Spotify, I'll usually check to see if they also have a Bandcamp page. If I like the material, I'll also purchase the FLAC album through Bandcamp to add it to my network playlist at home ... which I also did with your album. :)

Cheers!

First of all: Thanks for the support! :) Glad you like it!

Second: thanks for the insight regarding Spotify as well. It is an interesting topic and one that's very ambivalent in many ways.
I think you prove that Spotify is just another platform for music and it's what people make out of it. At the end of the day, I'd prefer to have people = listeners rather than people = customers, and if people listen to music in a deliberate, conscious way (eventhough it was free), then I think it's definitely not problematc but actually constructive... :]

07adams88

Reaction score
Nice! This is right up my ally for listening. I'll buy a copy.

I have a lot of questions but I'll reserve those for after I get back into recording. Working on a new studio setup.

syndrone

Reaction score
Nice! This is right up my ally for listening. I'll buy a copy.

I have a lot of questions but I'll reserve those for after I get back into recording. Working on a new studio setup.

Cool, thanks! Happy that you like what you hear! :)

Nice, definitely curious about your setup! I personally made quite a bit of changes before starting to record and mix this album so I'm sure I could be supportive in some ways just because we all go through a similar process.
I'd be happy to help as much as I can so just hit me up through my website or facebook! :)

Latest posts

')