Epi Les Paul Standard issues

• Thread starter Dr.Feelgood
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Feelgood

S.P Axe Master
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Epiphone Les Paul Standard off Ebay for 200$. It was basically brand new with a few pick scratches. It was a factory 2nd and I knew this prior to the purchase. It arrived today and first thing I did was plug it in. Right off the bat, it was giving me some nasty feedback. When I am playing, no issues... But as soon as I take my fingers off the frets, it's buzzing. I checked my cords, no problems. Any ideas what it might be? I didn't get a chance to actually run it straight to my amp (Behringer GMX210) because it was running through my ZW overdrive. It's not annoying persay, but it will get on my nerves down the road. Any help would be great guys :)

Brad E

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know, man. I hate to be so negative, but I bought the Epiphone Les Paul bolt-on a long time ago. I had to replace pretty much everything on the guitar, which was a lot of work, since most of the parts were odd sizes. I know their quality has come up a long way since then, but it's most likely crapola microphonic pickups or bad pots. Mine even had a bad output jack, so you can check that, too. But, it sounds most like there is a grounding (earthing) issue. Does it go away when you touch anything metal on the guitar?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Probably just crappy pickups.

Dr.Feelgood

S.P Axe Master
Reaction score
bostjan said:
I don't know, man. I hate to be so negative, but I bought the Epiphone Les Paul bolt-on a long time ago. I had to replace pretty much everything on the guitar, which was a lot of work, since most of the parts were odd sizes. I know their quality has come up a long way since then, but it's most likely crapola microphonic pickups or bad pots. Mine even had a bad output jack, so you can check that, too. But, it sounds most like there is a grounding (earthing) issue. Does it go away when you touch anything metal on the guitar?
Basically yeah. If I touch the output jack, no problems. Same thing with the strings.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Dr.Feelgood said:
I have recently purchased a Epiphone Les Paul Standard off Ebay for 200$. It was basically brand new with a few pick scratches. It was a factory 2nd and I knew this prior to the purchase. It arrived today and first thing I did was plug it in. Right off the bat, it was giving me some nasty feedback. When I am playing, no issues... But as soon as I take my fingers off the frets, it's buzzing. I checked my cords, no problems. Any ideas what it might be? I didn't get a chance to actually run it straight to my amp (Behringer GMX210) because it was running through my ZW overdrive. It's not annoying persay, but it will get on my nerves down the road. Any help would be great guys :)

Brad E

Hmm that's weird, because that sounds like the characteristics of a single-coil when it's driven through a lot of distortion. But since it's a Epiphone it must have humbuckers, so I don't know :scratch: Epiphone are not exactly quality guitars, per se.

Dr.Feelgood

S.P Axe Master
Reaction score
Nik said:
Hmm that's weird, because that sounds like the characteristics of a single-coil when it's driven through a lot of distortion. But since it's a Epiphone it must have humbuckers, so I don't know :scratch: Epiphone are not exactly quality guitars, per se.
Well like I said earlier, I haven't been able to run it straight to my amp to see if my pedal was pushing too much for it. But I don't have the problem with my Epiphone SG. It does have humbuckers.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Nahh, something isn't grounded or shirlded propperly, if you want it to sound good, try some new pickups and replace the pots and wires while you're at it.

Dr.Feelgood

S.P Axe Master
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Nahh, something isn't grounded or shirlded propperly, if you want it to sound good, try some new pickups and replace the pots and wires while you're at it.
Well I was going to throw in the EMG ZW 81/85 combo anyways. That will end up replacing everything :woot:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That'd be perfect, since EMG's are internally grounded. That should put some life in the guitar! ;) Just don't tell any of the guys here who 'won' ZW Epi's. :lol:

Dr.Feelgood

S.P Axe Master
Reaction score
bostjan said:
That'd be perfect, since EMG's are internally grounded. That should put some life in the guitar! ;) Just don't tell any of the guys here who 'won' ZW Epi's. :lol:
I am in for 3 of those too :lol: May or may not come, and I got sick of waiting. Ah well, this is my third Epiphone to add to my collections :lol: I also have two Epi SG's. Dear lord, once those 3 ZW Epi's get here, I will lose my mind

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dr.Feelgood said:
I am in for 3 of those too :lol: May or may not come, and I got sick of waiting. Ah well, this is my third Epiphone to add to my collections :lol: I also have two Epi SG's. Dear lord, once those 3 ZW Epi's get here, I will lose my mind
You can always sond one my way ;)

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's definitely a grounding issue if it goes away when you touch the metal parts. Try checking all of the ground wires, including the bridge ground. That should sort it until the EMG's arrive.

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
yeah grounding. i fixed it on my friends guitar by taking off the jack socket (well unscrewing and oulling it out with out it becoming detached) and checking all the conections and clearing up the dodgy ones. but even as a second i would hope that there shouldnt be problems like that

Dr.Feelgood

S.P Axe Master
Reaction score
I took the guitar to my friend who works for the local music shop. He is going to tear it open tomorrow and see what the problem is. He played it and definitely agreed with you guys that it's a grounding issue. I am hoping I don't have to replace the stock humbuckers. I need my $$ to purchase the EMG 81/85 combo's for the ZW Epi's :lol: Ah well, at least I am getting a discount on those

Brad

Dr.Feelgood

S.P Axe Master
Reaction score
Well it was the Tone pots that were shorting out. He replaced them and now it's sounding fine :) I put on the GHS ZW Boomers and man this thing is a beast

')