Epic Games buys Bandcamp... Wait, what?

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
This makes me nervous. When Bandcamp launched, there were other viable sites to download music, and CDs were still fairly common. Now, there's virtually no such thing as physical media, Google music is completely shuttered, Amazon music is barely useable, and that leaves Apple and Bandcamp. Bandcamp has been so much better to me than any other platform, both from an artist perspective and as a consumer. If it gets messed up, I'm going to be in a tough spot.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that email threw me. It says acting as its own but im cautiously optimistic.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Now you can directly play guano apes over your Fortnite clip before uploading.

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
Weird. How long before literally everything is owned by 10 companies?

It's the year 2065. And when you get an idea while at the Apple store picking up some cyber eggs, a pre-cog government agent swoops in the moment of the idea's conception and forces you to sell the idea to one of the 10 companies who appear via holoform. They then have a bidding war on your idea, but there a bid cap of $48 (and this is after the ultra-inflation of 2044, so that $48 is valued at 37 cents in 2022 monies) and you then collect your credits on an Amazon gift card and go back to your studio apartment owned by Costco-Pepsi-Honda to start your work-from-home day. Which is running on a treadmill to generate power for GM/Lockheed-Martin factory across the stroad.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

It's the year 2065. And when you get an idea while at the Apple store picking up some cyber eggs, a pre-cog government agent swoops in the moment of the idea's conception and forces you to sell the idea to one of the 10 companies who appear via holoform. They then have a bidding war on your idea, but there a bid cap of $48 (and this is after the ultra-inflation of 2044, so that $48 is valued at 37 cents in 2022 monies) and you then collect your credits on an Amazon gift card and go back to your studio apartment owned by Costco-Pepsi-Honda to start your work-from-home day. Which is running on a treadmill to generate power for GM/Lockheed-Martin factory across the stroad.
Pfft, you think it'll be that many companies? There'll be Apple-Disney-Coke-Warner-Time-Fedex and then there'll be Alphabet-Universal-Pepsi-GM-UPS. At that point, the government will step in and say you can't buy each other. Then there you go. Not like it's that different than it is today.

nightflameauto

Reaction score

The only addendum this needs is there is no bidding war because there's only one company. Amazon or Microsoft most likely, maybe Apple, and they own everything. Literally the air we breathe. And the government.

Matt08642

Reaction score
For God sake, Bandcamp is literally perfect as is. I can't wait for some tiered pricing bullshit where FLAC costs double or just isn't available.

That's it! Back to CDs! (Just kidding, CDs are $40 for some fucking reason)

Streaming was a mistake.

Last edited:

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
Pfft, you think it'll be that many companies? There'll be Apple-Disney-Coke-Warner-Time-Fedex and then there'll be Alphabet-Universal-Pepsi-GM-UPS. At that point, the government will step in and say you can't buy each other. Then there you go. Not like it's that different than it is today.
The only addendum this needs is there is no bidding war because there's only one company. Amazon or Microsoft most likely, maybe Apple, and they own everything. Literally the air we breathe. And the government.
I went with 10 companies only because there will be shell companies scattered across the globe. Unless something like the Eurasion Union & 'Murica happens.

For God sake, Bandcamp is literally perfect as is. I can't wait for some tiered pricing bullshit where FLAC costs double or just isn't available.

That's it! Back to CDs! (Just kidding, CDs are $40 for some fucking reason)

Streaming was a mistake.
Oh no. They are totally gonna tier the codecs, aren't they? Or some sort of streaming service where it costs less if you just stream and don't buy/download the files. Fuck.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I went with 10 companies only because there will be shell companies scattered across the globe. Unless something like the Eurasion Union & 'Murica happens.

Oh no. They are totally gonna tier the codecs, aren't they? Or some sort of streaming service where it costs less if you just stream and don't buy/download the files. Fuck.
Pay-per-play, bro. Pay-per-play. It's been the dream of the record companies for a long time, and they may be just the ones to figure it out. They're exactly the right combination of greedy and user-abusing to do it.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
The only reason EA would have bought them was if they saw a way to “monetize” it further. And just that it’s EA I’m going to assume it won’t be consumer friendly.

Latest posts