Epic/intense/dark/proggy new song (kind off) sensitive ears beware!

Deckard

Reaction score
Hi people!

I've been working to get a better sound than last time, I think I've made it but my ears are really burned out of listening the song again and again that I don't really know what to think right now.

So it would be very nice if you guys can give me some input/feedback on it both sound and music wise.

I've used my seven to record it for the first time and also experimented with some orchestral sounds and some electronic drum kits It's overwhelming what you can do with technology these days, anyway, here is the song:

Betta Splendens by Nexus07music on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I hope you enjoy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FOAM

Reaction score
Great track! Mix is good, but it lacks some bass. Kick drum needs more boom and the bass guitar needs more volume.

The riff at 1.09 sounds a little choppy to me. After the pause when the dissonant chord comes in the guitars needs more attack. It might be your picking or just the attack and release of the compression...

Vocals don't sound that great in the mix. I can't give you advice there as I'm not experienced enough mixing vocals myself.

Overall a good listen! Followed you on SC. :)

Deckard

Reaction score
Hey, glad you like it man! When you say that it lacks some bass (apart for volume from the bass guitar) you say the whole track?

The guitars don't have compression so it may be my picking. Also I normaly only record one track per side and in this one I did two so that could have helped too.

For the vocals I don't know what it is but some other people told me that too, I will have to find it out.

I really appreciate that you taked the time to listen to it and leave a comment, thank you very much man! :yesway:

Deckard

Reaction score
I've enabled the download option on soundcloud some days ago and I wanted you guys to know, just in case you want to have it on your mp3 or whatever!

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
This is really good, man. Great composition.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Reminds me of Threat Signal at times, good work! I think the vox could use a little more gut, though. They're kind of thin.

datalore

awkward soul
Reaction score
To my ears, it sounds like the vocals need EQ and a narrower stereo image. It sounds like there is some panned delay or chorusing effect on the vocals as well. I would get rid of that effect, boost a few db somewhere in the low mids (250-400 Hz) and cut a bit around 8-10 kHz.

Deckard

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it. Listening to it now that some days have gone by I am happy with the composition :) Yes, it has some kind of Threat Signal vibe on some parts of the riffs. I think it still sounds original in some way though.

To my ears, it sounds like the vocals need EQ and a narrower stereo image. It sounds like there is some panned delay or chorusing effect on the vocals as well. I would get rid of that effect, boost a few db somewhere in the low mids (250-400 Hz) and cut a bit around 8-10 kHz.

Hey Datalore, thanks very much for your input! For the vocals I recorded one main take in the middle and 2 extras on each side, maybe thats the "chorusing effect" you were talking to. They were in the same pitch as the main one so maybe I should try to do them more growl like to get more "body" from them (apart from the eq)

Why do you think the vocals should be narrower? I have doubts sometimes with how to produce the vocals truth be told!

Deckard

Reaction score

btfsam

Banned
Reaction score
hey dude, definitely sounds better than the first mix. Still sounds the vocals could be a little more centered, but overall they do sound better.

Deckard

Reaction score
hey dude, definitely sounds better than the first mix. Still sounds the vocals could be a little more centered, but overall they do sound better.

Thanks for listening man! The vocals are now totally in the center, except for some passages where I automated to the sides 2 tracks of screams that where in the center as backing for the main track.

I did these only in some parts but maybe in those parts I panned the 2 tracks two much. Anyway, it's good to know that I'm getting there!! :D

Deckard

Reaction score
Thanks m4rK!!! Definitely I'm going to experiment more with some sounds I created for this song. Glad you like it! :)

')