Epic Riffs Thread

• Thread starter Nag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
I love the whole One Kill Wonder album by The Haunted but especially Shithead, D.O.A, and Shadow World.

Ghost Brigade have massive riffs and two that stand out are Horns and Suffocated.

godlike taste´here! Also really dig the Amoral mentions. They have so many great riffs I can't even count that far (you guessed it, I can only count to 4), the intro riffs to Silent Renewal and Tiebreaker have not yet been mentioned though :)

the guys from Destrage are absolutely nuts as well

and this Extol album!
Extol - Blood Red Cover - YouTube

Mokoma, some amazing simple riffs, used to hate the cleans with a passion though
Mokoma - Hiljaisuuden Julistaja - YouTube
Mokoma - Tämän Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi - YouTube
Mokoma - Vade Retro, Satana! - YouTube

Mors Principium Est
Mors Principium Est - Finality - YouTube

why is my fav Soilwork riff on an album I never listen to ;_;

I've only got knives for you
The Duskfall - I've only got knives for you - YouTube

let a drummer make a guitar riff:
Suvilehto - Syövereistä (Full EP) - YouTube

This Or the Apocalypse's album Haunt What's Left has a couple very rocking riffs for metalcore
This Or The Apocalypse "The Incoherent" - YouTube

dschonn

Reaction score
Since most of us guitarists mostly play the the lowest possible power chord - lets be honest - I´m a bit surprised no one has mentioned the IMO most epicly simple, groovy, brutal etc. riff yet:

Intro-Riff of Decapitateds Spheres of Madness:

wankerness

Reaction score
Man, that Nevermore riff off their last album sounds so much like Nonexist. This first riff is a good one.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
EDIT: It auto embed? wtf well sorry :lol:

I edited the OP to explain what happens, if you just copy and paste the link with no timing, it will auto-embed. gotta use the "link" tool... for whatever reason :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
Good call on "Killing in the Name Of," I was trying to think of my favorite riff by them and your answer was better than anything I could come up with! I always liked the verses on "Vietnow" and "Snakecharmer" too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just thought of this one, I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard at the time (i hadn't heard 46 & 2 so I didn't know it was a ripoff :D):

Dream Theater - Home

I think the wah makes it cooler than 46 and 2 though.

wankerness

Reaction score
Haha, yes, I love pinch harmonics on bends like that. See also: Arcturus - The Chaos Path, Dream Theater - Lie, Strapping Young Lad - Oh My Fucking God.

I always loved the riffs on "Ten Ton Hammer," for some reason that and "Take My Scars" remain my two favorite Machine Head songs even though no one seems to like that album.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score

wankerness

Reaction score
With you all the way on AAL and Them Bones, but the chorus on would? That's just two powerchords! The vocal melody is the epic thing there.

wankerness

Reaction score
Well, that's weird. Sounds like they went all modern after Resurrection Through Carnage, I never listened to the later stuff before cause no Mikael. RTC has a lot of great riffs, btw, Ways to the Grave and Death Delirium being my favorites.

Latest posts

')