Epiphone Les Pauls? Quality, country of origin, and signature models?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
I owned a Gibson Les Paul Studio in 2012. Had it for maybe a month and got rid of it. Felt cheap, didn't sound all that great. Overall, not what I had in mind for the price. Top line Epiphones played, felt, and sounded better, IMO. I'd rather have a high end Epi than a low end Gibby.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
That is a very Gibson biased opinion. At best better electronic components. But build quality, I call BS. I won't argue this point with anyone. Play the two together.

I challenge you to put a well set up 600.00 gibson studio up against a well set up 600.00 epiphone and tell me the epiphone is a better sounding and playing guitar. Like I said, I've owned probably 10 of each and currently own 4 Gibson les pauls. I've tried super hard to like every epiphone I've ever owned to no avail.

The Gibsons use higher quality components, solid woods, and are hand finished. Epiphones use import electronics, often plywood or MDF bodies, and are built the same way for 5-6 other brands.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I currently own five Gibson LP's, and four epi LP's. All of them were played before deciding to keep, and surprise surprise... They all feel and play like guitars. The only reason I favor my Gibson traditional over any of the other models, including the epiphones, is because it's got a nice fat neck profile. The pickups and electronics work just fine, no better or worse to the layman than the MIA counterpart.

Seriously, I love my traditional, and I spent near on 2k to get it... But I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend it feels or sounds drastically otherworldly different than the Epiphone. It just doesn't. A well made guitar is a well made guitar, and if you hand pick your stuff by trying it out first, you really can't go wrong. Even if it's made from particle board, earwig honey, and bone meal... If it sounds/plays good, it's good.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
And when were they built, which year?

2 Are recent, 2011s, the other two are 70s era. All my epiphones were built within the last ten years and I no longer own any of them.

I don't love Gibson's recent output in terms of specs, but what I'm saying is that for 600 used you can find a very nice 2000-ish LP Studio with a case on Ebay or CL. Usually a slightly used guitar has had a setup and been broken in a little along the way, which fixes most of the off-the-rack issues (that definitely exist) that I've encountered with Gibsons (and not so much Epis, because they're mass/machine produced).

Fact of the matter is that a GOOD 6-700.00 Gibson will literally blow any Epi out of the water on any day in almost every aspect. A BAD Gibson will not really be worth the extra money.

Aymara

Reaction score
but what I'm saying is that for 600 used you can find a very nice 2000-ish LP Studio with a case on Ebay or CL.

Ahaaa, that sounds a bit different ;)

An early 2000 Studio in good condition and with a good setup, yes, I'd prefer that over an Epi too. But a new Studio in the lowest price range, no thanks.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Ahaaa, that sounds a bit different ;)

An early 2000 Studio in good condition and with a good setup, yes, I'd prefer that over an Epi too. But a new Studio in the lowest price range, no thanks.

Yeah I was not suggesting spending that on a new Gibson, sorry if that wasn't clear, OP.

This right here? This guitar will do everything you need. Record with it, tour with it, throw it in the back seat and take it anywhere you need to melt faces.

https://reverb.com/item/1404349-gibson-studio-les-paul-1994-wine-very-nice

Also +1 for guitars that have had headstock repairs. Once in awhile you'll find a gem.

Aymara

Reaction score
This right here?

Mmh, no, too much damage for my taste. There are better ones available, I guess. Those guys should calculate with the new price of the specific model, not the current prices ;)

Such a red Studio costed below 900 bucks new only two years ago.

')