Epiphone Les Pauls? Quality, country of origin, and signature models?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Been looking at getting a Les Paul for a long time, and thinking about getting a Epiphone to scratch the itch.

I'm a fan of Slash and his Rosso Corsa and other sig models, but they go for about 500-600 used, and I'm not sure they are any better than the cheaper non sig models. . .

I've seen a few "pro" models, and they look nice, but not sure the quality of country of origin on the varying models, and varying years.

So hit me up with some knowledge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
My first guitar was a Chinese made Epiphone LP Classic that I got brand new in 2005 and in all seriousness it was a great guitar. Paid like 500 for it. Mind you, my guitar knowledge at that time was nowhere near what it is now but the guitar stayed in tune surprisingly well, sounded perfectly fine through my Marshall MG30 (lol yeah yeah I know) and that's pretty much all I cared about at the time.

Right now, I own an Epiphone Elite (pre-Elitist) LP from 2002 and it just kills. It's MIJ though, so that adds a lot to the quality.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Yeah I used to have an Elitist, awesome guitars, but can spend that kind of cash at the moment. Are all the current epiphone mic? Or are some mik?

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I've got one of the "Plus Top Pro" Epi LP's lying around. It's made in China, which I never would have guessed it to be made in china just by playing it. All the hardware is pretty nice (grover tuners for example), it stays in tune and the pickups are pretty awesome for stock Chinese pups. (Each one is wired up to a push/pull coil split too.)

The neck is thinner than a Gibson, but depending on the player that could be considered a good thing. I'd offer to sell it to you for dirt cheap, but it's technically owned by my father now since he didn't want me selling it for $200 or under and he gave me $400 for it. Was damn near giving it away too.

Epiphones are a dime a dozen, so you could probably find a .... ton of them at your local GC or something. (new and used.) I'd see about going to play some if possible. When they're made well, they're damn fine guitars. I've played/owned 3 of the plus top pros and all three were of comparable decent quality.

kherman

Reaction score
Right now the Japanese yen is down compare to the US dollar. So, prices are pretty decent right now on MIJs. Especially, on Edwards. Also, keep an eye on Epiphone Japan, Tokai Japan, Orville, Burny, Greco, Ornetts.

As for current Epi's, The Bonamassa and Tribute Plus are considered the two models that will get you closest to an Elitist.

pahulkster

Reaction score
I have an Epi Black Beauty 3 and it's great. It is Chinese but I have had no issues with it. A few years ago I had another one that was Korean made. The newer Chinese one is way better overall. It really comes down to the guitar imo.

It isn't as nice as my Gibson but I don't expect it to be.

justinreagin

Reaction score
I've got a couple of Epi Lps. I play a Custom that I upgraded the electronics in a lot, also have a ZW bullseye. Keep in mind that I also have a couple of McNaughts in my rack, but I find myself playing that old custom as much as anything. They are good bang for the buck axes, but the electronics suck.

metale

Reaction score
My main guitar is a late 90s Standard, and it just feels great. The few I played from that era all had great construction and finish but completly garbage electronics.

When the switched to China, it seems to me they went the other way around: better electronics, tuners, etc but worse finish. But since then, it has caught up, and I would not have any problem getting even the most basic set-neck standard.

I've had:
- '98 MIK Standard limited edition (flamed amber finish) - bought new, still have
- '08 MIC ES-333 Delonge - sold to a friend
- '14 MIC Matt Heafy Custom - sold

petersenb9

Reaction score
I have a Epi LR Custom Pro and it is Chinese, but it is way nicer than my brother's Korean Standards. I put EMGs in the Custom and play it more than my Gibson SG.

RUSH_Of_Excitement

Reaction score
I owned the Epi MKH signature and for what it's worth, that guitar slayed but I just didn't gel with it, I loved it but I've moved on to better things since then

Aymara

Reaction score
Epiphone and Gibson share the same problems, their cheapest models suck and overall quality control is pretty inconsistent.

But I can asure you, that my Epi Tribute 1960 with Gibson 57 Classics not only tops most Gibson Studio models, it also was my goto recording guitar since I bought it in 2010, because it sounds great, is pretty versatile (even Metal is no problem) and is absolutely noise free ... the later is not the case with my Gibson, though it has the same pickups.

Btw ... the Tribute 1960 is available again, so it might be a good idea to try it out and compare it to other models. It's definitely a great bang for the buck and comes with a nice hard case too. The only downside was the cheap stock TOM bridge, which I replaced with a Tonepros, but I think the new model is improved regarding this fault.

PS: Sorry, the Tribute 1960 I saw at Thomann website seems to have been a NOS model, that got sold before Xmas, so it's no longer listed. Regarding Epiphone's website the current successor is the Tribute Plus:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

shupe13

Reaction score
Epiphone guitars are great. Like most mass produced budget minded instruments, some are hit and miss. I've own/owned several and have never owned a bad one. Keep in mind I play before I buy so I have seen a few bad apples. Mail ordered guitars are like roulette. That goes for all brands.

The Slash models offer better pups as do the Bonamassa, Tributes and several other higher cost Epiphones

Go for it.

Browse Epiphone Talk

MatthewK

Reaction score
I have an old MIK Les Paul Standard. I would avoid the old ones as pretty much EVERYTHING on them is crap. It's the only guitar I've ever owned that had a tuner actually break.Even the paint isn't done well, and I'm not really nitpicky about that stuff usually. And the neck is really thin unlike any Gibson I've ever played, but I always go for '50s profiles.

I'd go for a newer one. I know they've put out a few models with really nice specs in terms of hardware and pickups (Tribute Plus I think it is called is a very popular one). I've heard the Bonamassa sigs have nice thick necks.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Epis are great guitars, but if your budget is 5-600 bucks you can score a used Gibson LP Studio pretty easily, and the difference is honestly night and day (I've owned many of both). Not to be that guy, just my .02.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
This year I briefly owned a 2009(iirc) Epiphone Les Paul Custom in silverburst and it was a primo guitar. Literally as good as a Gibson in every way (or at least, the Gibson's I've played). Idk if I just caught the lucky one or something but after playing it I can hardly justify ever purchasing a Gibson Les Paul.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
I own an early 2000's Epiphone LPC-90 (Les Paul Custom made in Japan at the Fujigen plant, has the Gibson shape headstock) and a Limited Edition red quilt Les Paul Standard from 2002. Both of them aren't going anywhere. They sound and play excellent. As stated above, stay away from the low end stuff. If you're buying in Epi's mid to higher range, I think you will be pleased. I would take my LPC-90 over most Gibsons any day.

shupe13

Reaction score
Epis are great guitars, but if your budget is 5-600 bucks you can score a used Gibson LP Studio pretty easily, and the difference is honestly night and day (I've owned many of both). Not to be that guy, just my .02.

That is a very Gibson biased opinion. At best better electronic components. But build quality, I call BS. I won't argue this point with anyone. Play the two together.

Aymara

Reaction score
That is a very Gibson biased opinion ...

... and from my experience it is wrong, because Gibson quality control of the last years was absolutely horrible, with one exception, the Les Paul Signature T, a 2013 only model, which beat every Standard without a problem especially regarding craftsmanship.

In 2013 I wanted a Gibson Les Paul ... an old teenie dream of mine ... and was shocked, when visiting two shops, that had several in stock. As I said, the only one being flawless on all available units, was the SigT. It has a reason, that MLP members still buy the last available guitars of that model.

I would never have exchanged my Epi Tribute 1960 for a recent Studio model ... never, ever. It might be different on old models though being around 10 years old maybe. But it doesn't seem, that 2015 was a better year for Gibson, especially with raising the prices around 30% ... the Gibson fan crowd gets smaller and smaller and it has two main reasons, craftsmanship dropped and prices exploded :(

At best better electronic components.

If this would be the case, my Gibson would be my main recording guitar and not my Epi, which is absolutely noise free, the Gibson isn't ... it's not bad in this regard, but not as noise free as the Epi. But the playability is much better ... but we compare a 650€ guitar to a 1750€ guitar here.

')