Epiphone Matt Heafy Sig. (Video)

• Thread starter I Voyager
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I take it that you didn't read my previous post. Some lowlife looking to make a quick buck could easily cover up the Epi logo with a Gibson one and sell it to an unknowledgeable person or store.

I didn't sorry, but there are still serial numbers and something called the internet, still, I can see your point.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I Voyager

Reaction score
I didn't sorry, but there are still serial numbers and something called the internet, still, I can see your point.

What I'm saying is that there a lot of gullible or straight up foolish people who wouldn't think to look at a serial number.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Big impovement over the "gothic" one. If its priced appropriately and has a 25.5 inch scale or longer, i might consider this over the LTD ec407. :D

Murmel

Reaction score
I'm actually more disappointed with the black hardware than the EMG's. All black it boring to me.
But I guess there's already a Les Paul Custom available as Epiphone so he figured something different.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gibson isn't going to put the "open book" stock on Epi LPs.

Just like PRS won't put carved tops on the SEs, or ESP won't make full thickness LTD ECs.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score

Just like PRS won't put carved tops on the SEs, or ESP won't make full thickness LTD ECs.

Epiphone Japan used the open book headstock, and LTD has the EC-1000T. :scratch:

Yeah, yeah, I know. Exceptions to the rule. But what I don't get is why every other model of Epi besides the LPs and SGs get a headstock that's very similar to the Gibson couterpart. Explorers, Vs, Firebirds and Thunderbirds all get proper headstocks, and Rob Flynn's Epiphone sig even has that huge Gibson-esque truss rod cover.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But what I don't get is why every other model of Epi besides the LPs and SGs get a headstock that's very similar to the Gibson couterpart. Explorers, Vs, Firebirds and Thunderbirds all get proper headstocks, and Rob Flynn's Epiphone sig even has that huge Gibson-esque truss rod cover.

Gibson just never took the time to design new headstocks for them.

When Gibson purchased Epiphone it took several years for Gibson to even release Epiphones with Gibson shapes and appointments. Those first models where the SG and ES-335, which the kept the Epiphone headstock on, as at the time Epiphone was still a fairly popular brand. Later down the road they added the Les Paul. They just chose to keep the Epiphone headstocks.

It wasn't until the 90's that Epiphone models of the V and Explorer was released and by then everyone had grown accustomed to Epiphone being Gibson's sub-brand. They just didn't see the need to design a whole new headstock for the models.

The Japanese Gibson/Epiphones were the Orville brand, and those did feature the open-book, but not for long, as the Elitist series was given it's own headstock design. There were Epiphone models in the late 80's and early 90's that did have a pseudo-open-book headstock, but it was altered a good amount.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Remember Vs and explorers are basically the cheapest Gibsons and therefore suffer less from a price competition POV than a 2K5$ LPC.
I think that is actually the reason epi LPs still have a significantly different headstock.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I'm actually more disappointed with the black hardware than the EMG's. All black it boring to me.
But I guess there's already a Les Paul Custom available as Epiphone so he figured something different.

Silver or gold hardware would look great. I have to agree with you on this one.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score

See, that kind of thing is a mystery to me. If Epiphone made an open-book stock'd FT LP I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Provided they're Korean or Japanese :lol:

So unlikely.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See, that kind of thing is a mystery to me. If Epiphone made an open-book stock'd FT LP I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Provided they're Korean or Japanese :lol:

So unlikely.

The Epi LPs sell way too well for them to change a thing. :lol:

If you want an open-book'd MIJ LP, just buy a lawsuit model. Some of the less known brands go for pretty cheap on eBay still.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Or a Navigator, if you have more money than you know what to do with.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
The Japanese Gibson/Epiphones were the Orville brand...

Not all of them. The Japanese Epiphone-branded models for the Japanese market had the real deal stock.

Like this one.

But anyways, if I had to get a Les Paul I'd be buying an Edwards or Burny before an Epi anyways (over here they'd cost about the same anyways), so it doesn't matter that much to me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Pikka's correct. I believe the Epiphone Elitists in Japan were pretty much Orville guitars, though. They made the change in arond 2002.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
The Epi LPs sell way too well for them to change a thing. :lol:

If you want an open-book'd MIJ LP, just buy a lawsuit model. Some of the less known brands go for pretty cheap on eBay still.

Yeah, I would do that first in terms of an ESP caliber guitar, but when it comes Epiphone LPs you can just walk into almost every store (at least in NZ) and pick one up - you can't do that with Edwards (that isn't to say that I'm not a massive overseas buyer of musical instruments/tools :lol:)

MetalHeadMat

Jackson/Charvel Connoisseur
Reaction score
The only real problem I have with it is how the basic concept has been overdone. Classy shape, flat black, EMG's, and a 7th string. Is there any differing specs, like neck through or 25.5" or 27" scale?

')