ERG necks to snap?

• Thread starter 8nexus8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8nexus8

Reaction score
I've been looking alot for an 8 string guitar but with thin shred necks like 0.770" or even 0.750", but the problem is, due to lots of string tension they are very fragile and can snap, dino cazares explains this here,

the thinnest i saw is the rg2228, and probably the dean rc8 is also very thin but i dont want such a fragile guitar.
so what's the solution? using very dense wood like maple for the neck?
and btw does anyone know any 8 string or baritone scale guitar manufacturer that have thin necks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In all my years of working on guitars I've never seen a guitar or bass neck "snap" or even crack due to just string tension. As for breaking necks in general it's a LOT harder to do than it may seem.

Guitar necks, even super thin ones, are capable of supporting hundreds of pounds of force. Then factor in things like metal truss rods and support beams, as well as carbon fiber and you have necks that are super thin and extremely strong.

Typically, if a neck is to break it's going to be at the headstock/nut area after a large amount of force is leveraged on it.

8nexus8

Reaction score
well i he's mostly talking about touring musicians, i dont know how authentic this info is, so where can i get such a baritone or 8 string neck?

Underworld

Reaction score
The custom 8 string I'm having built right now will be 18mm thick at nut (0.7087") and there should be no problem at all. With modern construction methods I don't know how a neck could break due to string tension alone.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
the thinnest i saw is the rg2228, and probably the dean rc8 is also very thin but i dont want such a fragile guitar.
As mentioned by everyone before me, it's anything but likely that a guitar neck is gonna snap from the tension or that it'll easily snap at all. The Ibanez RG2228 neck features a titanium reinforcement, so its neck really is anything but fragile.

8nexus8

Reaction score
That's a relief, and exactly can I get an 8 or a baritone with thin shreddable necks?

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Jake Bowen and Alex Bois had the same profile as Dino on their LACS and the necks were very sensitive to temperature and string gauge changing..

but you cant get a a 17.5 mm neck on any stock model (all the way to the heel that is).
So I wouldn't worry much, and they use standard cases nothing fancy. Unless you abuse your guitar you wont break its neck.

Dayn

Reaction score
On my RG2228, if I rest the body on one knee and the neck on the other, the weight of the neck on my knee is enough for the neck or the bolt-on joint to 'bend' a bit so the strings detune just a slight bit. I can't remember if my other guitars have ever done the same with such a light touch.

But I can damn well say for sure that it's as solid as a rock despite it's thinness. Just don't apply extra pressure to the neck; the usual stuff you do when you're not trying to actively kill an instrument.

fujitron

Reaction score
i have no real experience but i'd say for a neck to snap it would take quite a bit of punishment... the 8 stringer i have has two fucking truss rods. that can't be easy to break!

anyway... what cazares said: just don't abuse it

8nexus8

Reaction score
and do any of you know where can i get a thin neck like 0.770" or 0.750" baritone or 8 string guitars?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
and do any of you know where can i get a thin neck like 0.770" or 0.750" baritone or 8 string guitars?

Any legitimate custom shop should be able to make a neck exactly to your specs, within reason of course.

Jonisbrutal

Reaction score
I've seen older ibanez rg necks with cracks, (and a few snaps) where the locking nut from the floyd rose bolts on. I have a 2000 Ibby RG470 (Japanese), and I'm always babying it trying not to crack the neck. But i've thrown that guitar on the ground during an argument at band practice and the neck didn't crack. So they're a lot tougher then I thought. it's about 19" thin at the 1st fret, and 21" at the 12th fret.

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
I've seen older ibanez rg necks with cracks, (and a few snaps) where the locking nut from the floyd rose bolts on. I have a 2000 Ibby RG470 (Japanese), and I'm always babying it trying not to crack the neck. But i've thrown that guitar on the ground during an argument at band practice and the neck didn't crack. So they're a lot tougher then I thought. it's about 19" thin at the 1st fret, and 21" at the 12th fret.

Those cracks come from people tightening the nut to the neck too much, they're pressure cracks.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Those cracks come from people tightening the nut to the neck too much, they're pressure cracks.

Yep. Those are also notorious weak points on those guitars though. Bonk it against the wall the wrong way, and bam. At least with a locking nut you'll stay in tune till you have to change strings!

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I was with Dino for awhile at NAMM and we talked about this. He's not talking about from the strings, he specifically told me they will snap if the case has any flex in it at all hence he uses a bass sized roadcase. The issue with being too thin is they can twist/warp which he said That Rusty neck seems too thin to hold up on the road. His 7's are 17.5mm and the 8 is 19mm I believe he said.
Also most of the production ones including the model you listed is a maple neck but it's not neck thru let alone to the same quality as an LACS obviously.... Again really wish they'd make customs for the public as those are the only Ibanez I really do like (all around).

Latest posts

')