ERG vs. a plane!

• Thread starter Water Retention
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Water Retention

Kidney failure
Reaction score
Hi there, looking for some advice.
Gonna get me a Schecter SLS C-8 with a fitting case and then fly from Houston to Paris and then to Russia.

Carrier this time is Air France, and my question is if anyone has any experience with them regarding transportation of your instrument. I used to fly Lufthansa with my Steinberger and that obviously wasn't a problem, and before that I checked my silverburst Flying V in, after securing it with as much foam as I could and putting it in the box on top of a hardcase, but you also could check in 2 items in '09.

My hope was that for some reason they'd let me take the Schecter as a carry-on, since maybe there will be not too many people flying early January and total weight should be about 20~ pounds I presume.

I of course have the cheapest ticket, so there's not much room for debating once I'm at the check-in desk, so if any of you got experiences to share it would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MouseBBX

New here
Reaction score
Not too sure about Air France but a lot of European airlines have been getting fairly strict with their rules. I found on the net that my airline would allow instruments in gigbags as carry-on, but if the plane was busy you would be asked to check it in.
The woman at the desk said the crew would decide whether it would fit, since I refused to check it in, in a gigbag. When boarding the plane a crew member said the crew coat-rack (where I normally have them store it) has been omitted in a lot of the new interiors, and suggested putting it into the metal box to her right. I had a look and asked her what it was: "It's an empty fridge, sir." !!!!! Yeah, not gonna work...

Eventually they managed to fit in one of the bins towards the back, but I was a bit anxious the whole flight.

So, to sum up: they probably won't be able to store a regular hard case.
They will probably allow gig bags, only if there is space (check the site). This carries the risk they say there is no space, and want you to check it in without proper protection.
Best way is to give them a call an ask if they could give you some indication of how busy the flight is, they might be able to help you out. Normally the crew will be very careful and understanding too, but if there's no room you will still be out of luck.

Overtone

Reaction score
It really depends on the dimensions of the case and the overhead space. Most times my 40'' case almost exactly fits the overhead. On some flights it is too small (rarely) by a lot, and one time it was just an inch too long. If the case was any longer, I'd have been out of luck in almost all of those situations when it comes to the overhead. I have a feeling the 8 string case would be long enough that it's a problem.

The rest of the time I've been able to find room somewhere like a coat closet. I agree that the European airlines are more uptight about guitars, to the point where they are bordering on being assholes about it. I think it's still worth trying to bring it on board, but having a case that can handle the abuse. So the thinnest, shortest hard case that is still durable would be ideal... that way there is more chance you can bring it on, but adequate protection if you can't. Then just try your luck walking right on board with it and looking for overhead space. If anyone stops you at the gate, take their gate check tag, but when you are past them, remove it in a way so that the tag is still intact. Try your best to find space on the plane and only if you don't should you gate check it. I've never had a problem w/ gate check... whereas every time I checked it from the ticket counter the case was damaged. For sure don't let them try to make you check it at the ticketing counter. Overall the approach to anyone eager to make me check the guitar is to tell them I'd like to try to work with the flight attendant to find room in the cabin, but if that doesn't work because of size or how full the flight is, I understand and am willing to gate check it. That always seems to let them give me a chance.

I've been flying a lot lately and 7/8 times I'm in luck and can bring it on board without gate checking. The last time I checked a case at the ticketing counter was probably over 5 years ago, and based on the damage to the case I'll never do it again.

Water Retention

Kidney failure
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys!

I guess it's a matter of how confident you look with your guitar by your side at the check-in desk :) Anyway gotta find the dimensions for schecter universal case I guess, but something tells me it's over 40 inches :p But it's the universal case for "C" shape models, so it's not longer than usual.

Well, even if it protects the guitar just enough so it gets to the final destination in cargo I guess it serves its purpose, here's hoping that the SLS is somewhat sturdy :)

')