ERGs - Once You Play Them, You Can't Go Back? Your Thoughts

• Thread starter ellengtrgrl
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ra1der2

Reaction score
I have one acoustic 6 string (my very first guitar) and one electric six string that is very special to me which I struggled to keep throughout years of hardship. I ended up having to sell all of my other instruments at one point or another just to survive.

It pains me to think about some of the guitars and basses I had to let go over the years, so I really feel for you there.

Aside from those two sixers (which I never ever play, ever) I now have six seven strings and six eight strings.

Having owned my very first eight string for less than a year I can safely say that for me there is a point of no return and I've passed it. I already came to the realization that 6's are out of the picture for me, and I am now playing my 7's less and less.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I have one acoustic 6 string (my very first guitar) and one electric six string that is very special to me which I struggled to keep throughout years of hardship. I ended up having to sell all of my other instruments at one point or another just to survive.

It pains me to think about some of the guitars and basses I had to let go over the years, so I really feel for you there.

Aside from those two sixers (which I never ever play, ever) I now have six seven strings and six eight strings.

Having owned my very first eight string for less than a year I can safely say that for me there is a point of no return and I've passed it. I already came to the realization that 6's are out of the picture for me, and I am now playing my 7's less and less.

Wow! Can you list your 8s? I curious what all you have.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Well, I got lucky. I wrote checks for the rest of this month's bills, and I'll be OK. Phew!! The Gretsch stays. If I play my cards right, and live very frugally, I actually will have enough money left over for a cheapo 7-string to, so I can keep my chops from backsliding. It's been a long day. I have a line on a so-so Aria 7-string for chump change. I'm going to check eBay. GC also has a few cheaper Ibbys too. Then I'm calling it a night.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I own six 6 strings, one 7 string, and a 12 string-super-guitar/bass-of-doom.

I still play a few of my 6ers. I have them in different tunings and I use them to play songs that were written on 6ers. The 7 string still gets most of the attention though, followed closely by the 12.

crayzee

Treehugger
Reaction score
I got my first 7 String like 2 years ago (Schecter C7 Hellraiser), then just a few months ago my Ibby S7420 and my sixers became kinda dust collectors too. I started playing again in a Coverband recently, so my JPM and my Seagull get a bit more love right now :).
If I had the money, I'd have a 7-String acoustic as well as an electric built, it just adds so much more versatility and plain fun, chuggin away on that low B...:)! And yes, all the sixers feel like toys now.
Keep that Gretsch, no matter what. Sounds like a very personal Instrument to you, I once (8-10 years ago) sold a guitar with which I had a similar relationship and I still regret it...

ra1der2

Reaction score
Wow! Can you list your 8s? I curious what all you have.

I've got the Octavia 8 30.5" scale, a lizard burst inteceptor 825 standard, an inteceptor 825 pro nat, an interceptor 827 pro nat, an intrepid pro nat w/tremolo, and a lizard burst inteceptor 827 standard w/rosewood board.

Here are a couple shots of the lizardburst 827 rw, its different that the other LB in a couple ways, it's got a nicer maple flame, larger routing around controls, no neck or trem cavity spaces, and no black around the edges.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Haha, now I know who all got the Interceptor 8s: It was me, you, you, you, and you! So yeah, it looks like that RW one has no blackburst on the edges. Mine looks pretty much like what you have, except that I have the route showing from misplacement of the Kahler. btw, how are you liking the Kahler? Personally, I still think I prefer Floyds. They give a more uniform drop of pitch across the strings and I like the feel better. Too bad there's no OFR8.

ra1der2

Reaction score
I love the kahler 8, its got more tension than the floyd 7 so it took getting used to, but on dives none of mine bottom out, no flub at all and my strings remain like at least 1/8" above the pups. You should see if wammi j would let you send your bridge to him to check it out, even though we got them through rondo they are new and should have some type of warranty right?

I don't see why noone has produced an LFR8 yet, it's got to be an easy mod for the manufacturers of LFR7's I wouldn't mind comparing the two if/when we do see a floyd 8.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I love the kahler 8, its got more tension than the floyd 7 so it took getting used to, but on dives none of mine bottom out, no flub at all and my strings remain like at least 1/8" above the pups. You should see if wammi j would let you send your bridge to him to check it out, even though we got them through rondo they are new and should have some type of warranty right?

I don't see why noone has produced an LFR8 yet, it's got to be an easy mod for the manufacturers of LFR7's I wouldn't mind comparing the two if/when we do see a floyd 8.
EDIT: I pm'd you instead so we can get back on topic....

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
For me, with the exception of those 6-string guitars with a TransTrem (I can change them +/- 2.5 steps) on them, I really have a difficult time switching back from my 7's and 8-string guitars. For me, the low F# gives me more range and the ability to really do some odd stuff with inversions that are simply not available in the same range on a standard tuned 6-string guitar.

Right yet, I find the differences in playing between the 7's and 8's are not quite so great for me and I realize that this is a personal preference thing, right yet.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to own a 6 anymore, they are fun to mess around with, but I wouldnt take less keys on my synth, why should I take less notes on my guitar?

I did own an 8, but I'm not yet sold on them. I can't back to 6 strings after playing a 7, but until I play a 25.5 to 28" fanned 8 string I won't ever feel that my 7 isn't enough. Single scale length 8s are no good imo, the lowest string is not quite long enough scale to sound tight, the higher strings are under too much tension, so its lose/lose.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
strangely i feel very different towards this whole 8 string stuff, i love the sound, but not a fan of the wide as shit necks, feels like playing a 6 string bass.

i started on 6's, and now i can't even play a 6 cus the neck feels like a toothpick to me now, but also can't really get into the 8 cus the neck feels to wide for me

vansinn

Reaction score
^ then how about a double-neck 7, one neck downtuned, the other in-between for shredding?
Or a 12/6 with the 12 modded as a 7, both tuned to suit your playing styles..

(sorry if a Bit OT..)

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
People mention keeping instruments that would otherwise be replaced or sold, etc. for themselves because of tone and sentimental reasons.

I totally agree, I always cringe when I hear someone saying they sold their first instrument altogether or sold their first of that kind of instrument (e.g. first bass, first guitar, first violin), or people getting rid of instruments they love but aren't 7s,8s,9s,>=10s, etc.

I'm not saying I have anything against anyone personally who does any of these things, but they're not things I think are good to do. Buy an sell what you wish, but I'll be holding onto my first bass and first guitar for as long as I can, even if I get 7s, 8s and 9s or start playing synths, drumming, etc.

To me the only instruments worth getting rid of are ones that:
(IMO)
Don't play well/Cannot be set up to play well
Don't sound good/Cannot be made to sound good
Tone isn't bad, but isn't to my liking
If I can get something basically identical but better in some way (i.e. has more strings/frets, etc.)

And...

If I really have no attachment to the instrument for any reason that would warrant me keeping it

But I do understand that if you have money troubles, don't have enough space for all your instruments, or if you have some other really, REALLY, REALLY, good reason(s) for getting rid of your instruments or any kind of gear for that matter.

It's just that when I find and instrument I really like it's like an extension of my body. And when I play said instrument it's like having a good 'ol time with your very best friends.

In case you haven't noticed, music is very special to me. :D

Riffmagus

Reaction score
I have to say after only a week of my 8 string - going back to my Jackson feels like a kids toy. Not in a bad way, or less manly one - just different. And it's very interesting that this was the 'norm' for a long time. Sure, I had a Schecter 7 from 2000-2006 which fell from grace - but jumping from a 6 to 8 for the first time in 3 years....It's like coming home. The neck radius feels more natural for learning tapping and getting a better 'feel' on the strings for leads and melody, but hell - that's just my fingers.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to using the 8 string as tool to re-ignite my playing and get the creative juices flowing again. Having tuned down for many years I now have no excuse that my axe is not in X,Y,Z tuning - I now need to step up to the plate, play, enjoy and learn. Those riffs in my head are going to find a way out....:shred::shred::hbang:

Reaction score
I have to say after only a week of my 8 string - going back to my Jackson feels like a kids toy. Not in a bad way, or less manly one - just different. And it's very interesting that this was the 'norm' for a long time. Sure, I had a Schecter 7 from 2000-2006 which fell from grace - but jumping from a 6 to 8 for the first time in 3 years....It's like coming home. The neck radius feels more natural for learning tapping and getting a better 'feel' on the strings for leads and melody, but hell - that's just my fingers.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to using the 8 string as tool to re-ignite my playing and get the creative juices flowing again. Having tuned down for many years I now have no excuse that my axe is not in X,Y,Z tuning - I now need to step up to the plate, play, enjoy and learn. Those riffs in my head are going to find a way out....:shred::shred::hbang:

:hbang::metal::yesway:

matttttYCE

Reaction score
:lol:

This is EXACTLY how I feel about my incomming 8. I have tuned down my 6s to Drop A#/Drop A for a long time now, so it's almost like I was playing 7s without that additional high end range.

Anyways, my feelings on going back to 6s is this: My 8 will be my main guitar because of the dramatic increase in range and therefor it will get the most playing. However, my 6s will still be played because I know very few people who have or are planning to get 8 strings that I would jam with. So basically, the 6s will be mostly band/jam guitars while the 8 will be mostly for my own solo musical endeavors/recording but also for some jamming with those of lesser string inclinations :lol:

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
:lol:

This is EXACTLY how I feel about my incomming 8. I have tuned down my 6s to Drop A#/Drop A for a long time now, so it's almost like I was playing 7s without that additional high end range.

Anyways, my feelings on going back to 6s is this: My 8 will be my main guitar because of the dramatic increase in range and therefor it will get the most playing. However, my 6s will still be played because I know very few people who have or are planning to get 8 strings that I would jam with. So basically, the 6s will be mostly band/jam guitars while the 8 will be mostly for my own solo musical endeavors/recording but also for some jamming with those of lesser string inclinations :lol:

Quite honestly, that was never an issue as far as bands or jams are concerned. I don't feel some sort of compulsion to chug away on the 7th or 8th string when the context doesn't really demand that from me. I just look at these instruments as less restrained versions of the good old 6-string, and use that range in a variety of ways - if I never hit a low F# or G, I won't die. I've even played really corny stuff like La Bamba on them... :rofl:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
^ :lol:
But some guys are jackasses who think both guitarists have to have the same number of strings when you jam with them, tune the same, etc.

It certainly can make things a bit easier, but this idea that everybody has to be that much alike just to play together is silly.

Latest posts

')