Ernie Ball 8 String Slinky 10-74 Set. What are you guys using?

• Thread starter nothingleft09
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
So far these things sound good and stretched well. I saw a lot of people having talked about having to drill out the tuner to fit the 74. The 74 in this set is like a bass string. Starts smaller and gets fat so it fits through the tuner fine. Only problem I had was the B string (64) was almost to short to get windings on. I had to hold the end with pliers and then wind, but I am using a septor with the 8 in line headstock. Overall, same great Slinky sound, they could make the string a little longer on the 64 B string.

IMAG0191.jpg

The 74 String
IMAG0189.jpg

The 64 String. I literally cut less than 1/4 inch of this at the tuner.
IMAG0190.jpg

This isn't a review per say, I just thought I would throw some info out for you guys on these and see what kind of strings the rest of you guys are using for your 8's.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I tried them, but I didn't like them on my DC800. I prefer. 080 and up for the low 8th string.

surge247

Goofy Foot
Reaction score
I use a custom 10-102 Circle K set on my Agile Intrepid for D# standard. With the right eq-ing they sound like slap bass playing, it's awesome!

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
I tried them, but I didn't like them on my DC800. I prefer. 080 and up for the low 8th string.

Did you have the same problem with the .64 string being short? JUst wondering if this is a one time problem with the set I got or if it's every set. I was not fond of the holding the string with pliers to wind it. lol

Thanks for letting me know what you guys try. I'm gonna try some of the other brands you guys mentioned when I change strings. :)

brector

Reaction score
I have been using a light set (.010 to .046) + .060 B and .080 for E

I am going to try a super light set next time (.009 to .042)

Edit - on a 27" scale DC800

-Brian

TankJon666

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a set when my 8 string is back together. I have heard good things about them. Although some say the tension accross all the strings doesn't feel right.

squid-boy

Reaction score
.013-.095 on my RG2228 in C#. Holds up fairly well.

I use a custom 10-102 Circle K set on my Agile Intrepid for D# standard. With the right eq-ing they sound like slap bass playing, it's awesome!

Oh, god, yes. I became addicted to slap-bass and double thumping. I got pretty good at it, actually. But lack of practice... probably sounds like poop now.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
This always bothered me with 8 string sets:

Why do they need to make the E and A strings thicker just to add two low strings? I mean honestly, if a .46 is acceptable in the 6 and 7 string sets of .10's, then why can't it be acceptable in the 8 string set? It makes no sense. That's why I buy 6 string sets. Then I buy two singles for the 7th and 8th. Just makes more sense to me.

F4R537KTP09

Antithetic machinery
Reaction score
I totally agree. Plus the tension is not well balanced with this kind of sets. It's increased by the "regular" E (6th string) and then the tension is lowered more and more until the lowest 8th string... It should be more obvious with longer scales... I personnally make a set for myself calculating string tensions to be optimised for every string and well balanced, so the sound is clear and my fingers don't get to push hard and then too hard skipping from one string to the other... For now I'm playing on elixirs plus 2 d'addario inoxydable round core bass strings. And that seems good to me...

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
I used the ernie balls for a while on my 8, i just bought a set of d'add's light top/heavybottoms and i really like how they sound, and it looked like they had brass cores. If DR makes a set i would try em out.

nothing beats the sound of new strings and a fresh 9V.:shred:

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score
I hate those thin strings. For my Septor 827 which i tune in Drop A + the low F# i use a 10-48 set + .68 for the 7th and .80 for the 8th string.
D'addario strings :)

')