ernie ball music man vs jackson

bloodocean

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Jackson USA Select Soloist SL-1, and an EBMM Majesty (7 string).

They’re both great, basically without fault.

I play the Majesty way more. It has mojo, it shreds, and I really, really like the Dreamcatcher bridge pickup. It’s a light weight guitar, comfy and the neck is lovely. It’s also clearly a fancier build vs. the Jackson in every way, yet somehow priced like $1k cheaper. I’ve never had a non-Floyd trem until this Maj, but rest assured EBMM knows what they’re doing.

The Jackson is the ultimate super strat. It’s also wonderful to play. The neck shape and compound radius are renowned for a reason. If you want to divebomb and squeal, the OFR abides. The SD JB bridge pickup - it's OK, not great. The one place Jackson dominates EBMM is its flush mounted anodized aluminum backplates with all of the screws (machine screws) going into threaded inserts. EBMM runs some odd sheet metal covers that are sprayed with something like truck bedliner, and they stand proud of the body.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Going to echo most everyone else in here. If you can't play them and you have to risk just ordering one without playing it then just pick one that you think is the coolest or most interesting. Just be aware of some of the 'outliers' like the Jackson PC which have very large necks and if weight is a factor for you then the Chris Broderick models might not be for you. EBMM JP 15's and Majesty's have very thin necks, so be aware of that.

Otherwise, order something from a store that has a good return policy if possible. If what you choose doesn't work for you, hopefully you can return it to get the next guitar on your list.

Good luck!

In terms of Jackson vs EBMM (Japan, USA vs. USA) I've played a fair amount of all of these and I own an older Japanese (2010-ish) Jackson DK2T; a Jackson USA Juggernaut 7; EBMM JP6; EBMM JR6. Each one of these guitars is great in their own way. The Jackson USA vs. EBMM USA's are obviously on the expensive side of things, but generally speaking, they're both in the same quality bracket (as are most things in that price-range).

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll say again - a JP16 (used) is going to get you a Floyd-style bridge and the shreddiest spec of any JP guitar. Plus, sparkle finishes are the best

sell2792

Reaction score
I'll say again - a JP16 (used) is going to get you a Floyd-style bridge and the shreddiest spec of any JP guitar. Plus, sparkle finishes are the best
My only gripe with the 16 is that they removed the piezo system. Piezo saddles for a Floyd exist, why remove that?

')