ESP 2016 Models released

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Except a guitar fretboard will get oily, gunky, and much quicker than my ceiling (which has never gotten oily or gunky, I might add). I'm not buying it.

Everyone knows that the dirtiest place on a guitar is the fretboard. That is the only place your fingers actually come in contact with the guitar.

The human body is pretty gross, expelling oil, sweat and dead skin constantly and not just on contact. There's practically a cloud of it all around you at all times.

One property of unfinished wood, and more specifically the dried out and occasionally oiled varieties found as guitar fretboards, is that it LOVES for those oils, liquids and solids excreted to stick to it.

Also, you don't touch the strings? :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

electriceye

Reaction score
call me crazy but, those snapper look kickass

I've always had a Snapper on my GAS list. For years, they had a nice trans orange model, white PG, 2HB setup and maple neck that I just thought was perfect. I *think* Greg Howe used to endorse them.

electriceye

Reaction score
I find it funny how Glenn's switch to ESP was so sudden they didn't even have a shot of him holding the guitar. :lol:

I have so many issues with this sig it's not even funny. I'm willing to bet we'll NEVER see Glenn with that guitar. He's aging quickly and was really terrible this past tour. Best case scenario, we get a new Priest album early next year. THEN a tour. Glenn is going to be 69 in October. He's been having a *lot* of trouble playing for the past two years now. I'll be in shock if they ever tour again.

Also, he's been an EMG endorsee since 84. He's always used the same ones. I'm sort of guessing that any "signature" models will be the 81/85 set with red covers. Would be bizarre to have a "new" model after he's played the same ones for 30 years with no changes.

He's been my hero since '83 and the reason I ever picked up the guitar in the first place. Watching him age is distressing to me. :(

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It should be noted that this only a new one off custom for Takayoshi Ohmura, and not a production model.

Ah, that was my favorite from this whole lineup! Hopefully they'll put out a similar signature model within the next few years. Killer guitar...

d0bb05.jpg

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Also, he's been an EMG endorsee since 84. He's always used the same ones. I'm sort of guessing that any "signature" models will be the 81/85 set with red covers. Would be bizarre to have a "new" model after he's played the same ones for 30 years with no changes.

onpage-jh-label.gif

As a gear junkie, I'd be more concerned if a guitarist played that long and stopped looking for more gear.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I have so many issues with this sig it's not even funny. I'm willing to bet we'll NEVER see Glenn with that guitar. He's aging quickly and was really terrible this past tour. Best case scenario, we get a new Priest album early next year. THEN a tour. Glenn is going to be 69 in October. He's been having a *lot* of trouble playing for the past two years now. I'll be in shock if they ever tour again.

He's been my hero since '83 and the reason I ever picked up the guitar in the first place. Watching him age is distressing to me. :(

I only bought Painkiller two years ago, and it's one of the best metal/thrash albums ever. So. Damn. Fast.

feraledge

Reaction score
BTW, am I crazy or did ESP just kill it this year so much that no one thought to document it? I'm seeing some walkthroughs, but not many pics (outside of the Exhibition models). Chapman did a walk through and they hover on the Ms, mention their throw back colors, and absolutely do not acknowledge the Reid M400 that's just on the edge of the shots.
WTF!!

electriceye

Reaction score
I only bought Painkiller two years ago, and it's one of the best metal/thrash albums ever. So. Damn. Fast.

Better late than never! :D It stands as one of my Top 5 metal albums of all time. Although, keeping a Top 5 is nearly impossible for me at this point. It's up there with Rust in Peace and Master of Puppets for me, though. Glenn's solos alone on All Guns Blazing and A Touch of Evil put most metal guitarists to complete shame. And still does.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Better late than never! :D It stands as one of my Top 5 metal albums of all time. Although, keeping a Top 5 is nearly impossible for me at this point. It's up there with Rust in Peace and Master of Puppets for me, though. Glenn's solos alone on All Guns Blazing and A Touch of Evil put most metal guitarists to complete shame. And still does.

Yeah like, I can't believe it doesn't regularly get mentioned in the same breath as those albums. It's obviously in that league. I searched forever for an official tab book or something but came up empty. Hopefully UG or jellynote have a good transcription when I have more time this summer. If I focus solely on one song I should be able to learn about 1 minute of All Guns Blazing, lol.

With all these EMGS out now, I wonder if there is an 81 for the bridge with a bit more low-mids, and something like a neck 81 (for leads) with better cleans.

electriceye

Reaction score
Yeah like, I can't believe it doesn't regularly get mentioned in the same breath as those albums. It's obviously in that league. I searched forever for an official tab book or something but came up empty. Hopefully UG or jellynote have a good transcription when I have more time this summer. If I focus solely on one song I should be able to learn about 1 minute of All Guns Blazing, lol.

With all these EMGS out now, I wonder if there is an 81 for the bridge with a bit more low-mids, and something like a neck 81 (for leads) with better cleans.

A tab book DOES exist, but it's obviously long out of print. I actually think I have a copy... :D It doesn't get the same mention as the others b/c Priest has never gotten the respect they deserve - in part due to their own failings as self-promoters, admittedly. But their overall catalog has gone criminally ignored by most of the music world. All you hear is Breaking the Law, LAM or YGATC. Three songs out of a 40+ year career and nearly two dozen albums. Been maddening to me for decades.

A-Branger

Reaction score

there might be just tht, regular EMGs with the red cover. Remember the signature set for Zack Wylde was a regular set of EMG but with a special cover with the bullseye

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^That's a rumor that was debunked. Don't remember who said it, but yeah, was just a rumor.

James Hetfield never used the 57/66 set. The 57/66 may have been an independent spinoff, but the Het Set isn't like the 57/66. The Het Set is a juiced-up 81/60 set.

feraledge

Reaction score
I think James said something about having gone through like 30 prototypes for the Het Set. It's not improbable that the 57/66 were an outcome of that process and then spun off from there.

Latest posts

')