ESP 2017 Previews

• Thread starter JD27
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the headstock. Not sure about the guitar. Looks nice enough. I think $3200 street for a figured top? Puts it into heavy competition with the Suhr Modern 7 which has more options available but is not nearly as attractive IMHO.

If they're comparable to the Originals, then $3200 is a solid deal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the headstock. Not sure about the guitar. Looks nice enough. I think $3200 street for a figured top? Puts it into heavy competition with the Suhr Modern 7 which has more options available but is not nearly as attractive IMHO.

I have yet to hear a bad word about an ESP USA guitar. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a TE USA Hardtail myself at some point. Honestly, I don't know much about Suhr options, I know people love them, but the headstock kills them for me. Although when they reverse those, they don't look bad.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
god those exhibition series 8 strings are awesome.

Is there another 8 string besides the Horizon? The only one I've seen is the Horizon CTM8, the other ERG is Horizon CTM9 9 string.

16110294_253376078428953_8023725544380039168_n.jpg

I'd like to see an Amorous 7 string. That'd be cool.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
The EII seven string MII and MR have disappeared. I hope it means a proper MII seven with reverse headstock is going to take its place. Maybe with natural satin bolt on neck instead of a painted bolt on neck this time...

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
The EII seven string MII and MR have disappeared. I hope it means a proper MII seven with reverse headstock is going to take its place. Maybe with natural satin bolt on neck instead of a painted bolt on neck this time...

I wouldn't hold out on waiting for that to happen. They killed a lot of E-II 7 string models, guess they didn't sell. The Eclipse 7 (AJ Eclipse as well), MR, and M-II are gone was well.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I can't believe neither of those sold, but I didn't see a single one actually for sale either.
There's a lot of "this product we never launched didn't seem to sell. Weird!" mentality in the guitar world. Do they base what might sell off of pre-orders?

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I can't believe neither of those sold, but I didn't see a single one actually for sale either.
There's a lot of "this product we never launched didn't seem to sell. Weird!" mentality in the guitar world. Do they base what might sell off of pre-orders?

It is odd, they seem to have a lot that never even make it in the wild. I only saw one SV and that is gone now as well. When the Arrow first came out, I saw them for sale, but basically they were listed available for order, not in stock. I think once they reached a certain number, they would actually do a run of them. Might be the way they treat a lot of these models.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score

Disappeared from where? They are still in the 2017 catalogue.

E-2TOP10_11Fnish_ol-WEB.jpg

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
They are gone from the USA Market apparently.

I am willing to bet that was so they can promote the USA M Seven they have now for the American Market. No the brightest move TBH I was hoping I could get an MR-Seven this year. While the USA Stuff is nice ESP is no doing well on the E-II Side of things, which is sad because the E-II Lineup was looking incredible for a minute. I am also made we never saw the TB-7...

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
They were around for a while I believe. If no one was buying them stateside, seems like a better play to move the product elsewhere where people are buying. Variety is great and all, but only when it's being embraced. Seems the market didn't take to it.

Similar to the cockstock situation where that headstock has never been popular in the states. Not when it was an LTD, a Standard, E-II, or a USA model. It makes sense that it's essentially been an Original series/JDM only model.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
But that was the point we made earlier. It's hard to embrace something, you can't get a hold of here.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
I get that...But, it's not as if they weren't available here, and so no one bought them. My point is that they were available here and still no one bought them.

People had their chance. No one seemed to want them I guess. No one embraced them (while they were here). ESP removed them from the US catalog and allocated them where they thought people would actually buy them. The logic follows to me. It seems like the "you don't know what you got until it's gone" situation.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
And I don't mean available as in "you can order it and one day we will do a run when we get enough", I mean these things were literally never in stock to purchase.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Oh okke. That was not my understanding I got from the OP's post. I read it as they were in the USA catalog and they were removed. If they were never there to begin with, then I agree with your previous comments.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Damn, just noticed the EX is gone too. I actually wanted one of those.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt my feelings that they're gone because for me they missed too many features to buy it. If the USA shop is flexible enough to make the M-7 with a Floyd and reverse pointy headstock I would get one of those anyway. That one is just those two features away from being what I would custom order from Japan anyway... if I had 6 or 7 grand laying around.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
It seems like the USA div is very much trying to differentiate from the Japan div's guitars. At least that's what they said in the 2017 preview vid. The USA M-II NTB, which is essentially Japan's M-II CTM, is the only hold over.

I'm starting to wonder if that will start to hurt them. The USA shop's guitars are erring more on the side of classic designs, with a slightly more modern take. If people start wanting more of the standard ESP shapes, they might end up in a pickle.

We'll see.

')