ESP 2021 New Models

• Thread starter Rotatous
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
ESP has been doing relics for something like 20 years now, and does so currently.

Most are custom shop models starting around $5k, but they've done NAMM stuff that's relic'd in the near five figures, which is comparable to the highest price Murphy Lab stuff that hits ~12k.

The relic market is HUGE and just about all the major manufacturers offer or have offered it in some way or form.
Don't forget the truckster which was actually a production model and LTD as well.

mbardu

Reaction score
I just don’t get relics, never will. Different strokes I guess.

Paying extra for fake used stuff, kinda irks me I guess. Whatever...

I wouldn't pay more. I'd pay less.
But at least if it's pre-beat up, you don't have to worry about resale value because of a few dings :)

xzacx

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more. I'd pay less.
But at least if it's pre-beat up, you don't have to worry about resale value because of a few dings :)

I really think that’s part of the appeal for at least some people. They don’t have to worry about playing it and dinging it up, and it’s basically always in “mint” condition. I agree though, I wouldn’t pay more for something because it was relic’d but it wouldn’t necessarily be a deal breaker if it was something I wanted otherwise.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
It doesn't get the headlines like "Gibson sends C&D", but they've opened up thier designs for license to builders going back a few years now.

Banker was the first, and has been making a mint doing it.

I was able to check out one at CME before the pandemic and it was a beast of a guitar. I can see why Brent is so into them.
Definitely isn't something up my alley, but it's incredibly fascinating form an outside viewpoint on gibson. They're probably killer guitars, which makes me even more surprised it ever got the approval stamp.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely isn't something up my alley, but it's incredibly fascinating form an outside viewpoint on gibson. They're probably killer guitars, which makes me even more surprised it ever got the approval stamp.

It's part of thier whole "Play Authentic®" thing they've been pushing.

The premise is, they know that there is real competition from boutique builders of Gibson copies and almost copies, especially in that ~$4k range. So why not team up with some of these builders to offer something of a more "bonafide" product?

This gives them a level of control as far as what's out there, and low key gives them some insight into what folks in that bracket are looking for in a guitar.

They should have done this decades ago.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
This gives them a level of control as far as what's out there, and low key gives them some insight into what folks in that bracket are looking for in a guitar.

"ahh, so you don't want the frets to jut out over the edge of the fretboard. And the nut cut properly for the strings? Iiiiinteresting...."

Mathemagician

Reaction score
"ahh, so you don't want the frets to jut out over the edge of the fretboard. And the nut cut properly for the strings? Iiiiinteresting...."

You want stainless steel frets and not cryogenically frozen aluminum? Hmmmm.

angl2k

Reaction score
Don't forget the truckster which was actually a production model and LTD as well.

Yup on production models they call it the Distressed finish and/or Aged burst. I've seen quite a few Vipers and Eclipses with it. Not my cup of tea though.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Ummmmm.....

c0d18f10-c0d0-4044-a016-81a0a9e691c7-jpeg.92518

tenor.gif

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I would actually play that, it's colors and an overall aesthetic that on paper, I would say doesn't work; but seeing it now, it totally does.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Oh fuck, I've never seen his black distressed Warbird, but now that I have? It's the cooler of the two.

If there was an LTD version without the inlays (just do traditional LTD flags or nothing in my book), I'd be all over it like a fly on shit.

Latest posts

')