ESP 2021 New Models

• Thread starter Rotatous
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ross82

Reaction score
You polish stainless steel frets 3 times a year?!

I do all my Nickel guitars 2 or 3 times a year depending on how they are but I just routinely do a full strip down, fret polish, fingerboard scrub/oil etc. and just go through the same motions with the Mayones. Its been a horridly humid summer and I dont have A/C in my house so the sweat has been taking its toll. I've already done 2 polishes so far so I suspect it will be 3 before the end of the year.

*Mid-post edit*
I just did some more digging and it turns out the Mayones possibly does NOT have SS frets. I was sure they weren't SS when I got it (I'm the second owner) as they were tarnished in the higher frets, felt absolutely no different to my other guitars which are all nickel and definitely don't have the high shine of SS frets as compared to my friends Suhr. Those frets are almost tackily shiny and bright. I did a polish straight off the bat when I got it and they were markedly improved.
I checked the original seller store page and they have the specs listed as SS frets. According to the Mayones website it states that starting in 2019 the base Regius spec will be SS frets. My head stock S/N seems to indicate a 2019 model but there is possibly a secondary S/N inside the truss rod cavity which may suggest a 2018 production so I'm starting to be convinced it does not have SS frets as I had suspected. I've sent an email to Mayones to see if they could clarify so we'll see what they say.

Last edited:

mbardu

Reaction score
I do all my Nickel guitars 2 or 3 times a year depending on how they are but I just routinely do a full strip down, fret polish, fingerboard scrub/oil etc. and just go through the same motions with the Mayones. Its been a horridly humid summer and I dont have A/C in my house so the sweat has been taking its toll. I've already done 2 polishes so far so I suspect it will be 3 before the end of the year.

*Mid-post edit*
I just did some more digging and it turns out the Mayones possibly does NOT have SS frets. I was sure they weren't SS when I got it (I'm the second owner) as they were tarnished in the higher frets, felt absolutely no different to my other guitars which are all nickel and definitely don't have the high shine of SS frets as compared to my friends Suhr. Those frets are almost tackily shiny and bright. I did a polish straight off the bat when I got it and they were markedly improved.
I checked the original seller store page and they have the specs listed as SS frets. According to the Mayones website it states that starting in 2019 the base Regius spec will be SS frets. My head stock S/N seems to indicate a 2019 model but there is possibly a secondary S/N inside the truss rod cavity which may suggest a 2018 production so I'm starting to be convinced it does not have SS frets as I had suspected. I've sent an email to Mayones to see if they could clarify so we'll see what they say.

If the strings wear out about the same, if you can see a significant difference between pre/post polish, and if they don't shine or look different to you from your nickel frets, then I'd say it's possible or likely that they're not stainless. The difference should be even more obvious in a hot and humid weather. When I was living in Singapore (30C++ with 80%+ humidity year round), nickel frets wore strings like crazy and the difference in oxidation (strings and their residue on frets) was fairly obvious.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Tungsten frets need to be a thing. Instead of playing catsup with SS frets, Esp need to jump ahead with tungsten.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well the clarification is in, they are NS on my Mayones. It was a mid 2018 order when SS were the option not the standard.

Credit to the guy at Mayones too, I had a reply in less than 12 hours and the full order spec sheet too.
I was about to say.... I have a bunch of older guitars with SS frets, I've owned them all over ten years, and I've never had any of them polished - never needed to.

Korblod

Reaction score
I just noticed that every "EC 1000 FR See Thru Black" from the 2021 collection that is Made in Korea is labeled in the headstock as "EC1001FR" instead of "EC1000FR" (Indonesian ones are labeled "EC1000FR" on the headstock), and in the back of the headstock, the serial # of every Korean model I've seen (I've seen at least 4 models like this), all start with "W20" wich means they were made in the year 2020, what does this means?, any insights on this?, did they actually stopped manufacturing in Korea last year and all we have left are 2020 made models with 2021 specs?
ESP EC-1000FR 1_compress42.jpg
ESP EC-1000FR 4_compress69.jpg
ESP EC-1000FR 8_compress33.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Normal frets can still last decades. Unless you're one of those corrosive sweat people.
Yeah, I think people freak out about nickel frets more than they need to. I had only one guitar for 20 years, and practiced, recorded, gigged, etc with it. It was only after 20 years that I had to get a refret. And I have enough guitars now that I’m not one the same one for hours per day, so these will probably be fine for multiple decades.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Those guitar looks interesting, especially the bridge and the methodology behind it.

Too bad it will probably cost like 10k and a year or more of waiting
I remember seeing these a few years ago and they are like 50k if memory serves me right. (Yay tungsten frets! :lol:)

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Can we talk about the fact that SS frets is freaking sweet, but plastic nuts on guitars in these price ranges is bananas.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
eh, a nut is pretty cheap and easy replacement on the users end, at least compared to SS frets. If it helps them keep cost lower, I say it's a good choice since people like yourself now have the opportunity to upgrade to whatever nut material is more desirable than plastic. It definitely shouldn't be a deal breaker, at least I don't think so.

')