ESP Eclipse vs Gibson Les Paul

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yurokx89

Reaction score
I have Gibson LP Custom`90 (with mahogany neck) and had more different LP - Ibanez, ESP, Edwards and etc.
No one didn`t sound better than Gibson. Amazing guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maybrick

Reaction score
I picked up an Eclipse over Christmas and adore it. Its the 4 knob CTM one with 4 knobs. I've never owned a Les Paul but played quite a few and definitely prefer it personally.

laxu

Reaction score
I'd probably go for Gibson, mainly because you live in the US where they are plentiful and a good one should be easier to find.

The problem with Gibson is that until you get to their high end models you have to deal with craftmanship ranging from flawless to infuriatingly sloppy. The main problems are fretwork, nut and neck angle. The first two are fixable and if you find a guitar that sounds great but has issues with either then try to arrange if the store can include some fretwork in the price. Look for any finish issues as well - those can be at least negotiated into a discount.

Neck angle is something you can't do anything about but it's quite easy to spot. Simply look at bridge pickup, bridge and tailpiece height. If any of those are significantly above pickup bezel or the top of the guitar, you have a guitar with too much neck angle. This means you'll lose some sustain because you can't crank that tailpiece down.

This is good - both bridge and tailpiece are close to the body but there is still plenty of adjustment range either way:
Bridge005.jpg Photo by hfb51 | Photobucket

This is bad - both bridge and tailpiece have to be raised very high for acceptable action:
1_2010GibsonLesPaulStudioDeluxe5.jpg Photo by jvmstyle | Photobucket

I don't believe Gibson are the be-all-end-all of LP style guitars though, hell I play an old Korean copy myself simply because it's nicer than most Gibsons I've tried. They do send the worst examples over to Finland based on what I've seen in stores.

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
I own an ESP Eclipse-I CTM (the four-knob version, made in Japan) in Dark Purple Satin. I've also played many Les Pauls, from Standards to Gibson Customs, and for me the ESP beats them all, no question.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the LP's as such, it's just that the Eclipses are more comfortable to play and have better quality hardware as standard, and no LP that I've played has ever felt as solidly constructed as my Eclipse.

In the end, of course, it's all down to your own personal preference; your best bet would be to find somewhere that you can try both and decide that way.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I play an Eddy

And when I go to the store and grab a Gibby I think:

My guitar is at least this nice.
And came loaded with Seymour Duncans

I've never picked up an Edwards that I didn't think is the .....
Just to give you an opinion as someone who plays Edwards as his primary guitar.

The only issue I have is that I used to go to a wall of Edwards guitars and non of them were over a grand, but that's at least what you'll have to spend to get them in the states. It makes sense but it just bothers me in principle. I know for sure I'll be back to Japan sooner or later so I would never buy one here.

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
I would say if you CAN NOT test and hear the guitar before purchase (internet purchase) always go for the ESP eclipse for consistency in quality and sound. I do not want to argue about Gibson's being good guitars an all but some people say only 1 of 10 may qualify for that statement. Again, this is just my opinion :)

Aymara

Reaction score
$1200 is probably going to be max.

Search for the Gibson Les Paul Signature T, which is a 2013 only model and some shops still have a few left in this price range.

This is by far the best LP Gibson built in the last years, especially the only I could find with consistent good quality ... Gibson has huge QC issues since a few years! I tested the trans black one, the white one and bought the wine red version with silver hardware. All three were flawless with outsanding fret work ... the are Plek'ed. All other LPs I tested in 2013 had minor QC issues.

If I wouldn't have one, I would buy it again.

It's not a very popular model for two reasons: First the "T" on the trussrod cover, which can easily be replaced and second the Granadillo fretboard. But Granadillo is a special kind of rosewood only found in Mexico. The only difference to "standard" rosewood is, that Granadillo is often lighter in color.

Search the My Les Paul forum for the SigT thread to see how happy their owners are ;)

Latest posts

')