ESP Eclipse

• Thread starter HollowmanPL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HollowmanPL

Reaction score
I love 85 but I hate 81 :p
In Eclipse 60 is OK and 81 sounds better than in my MH301 :p

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Some people say that all guitars with EMGs sound the same, but that really isn't true.

Obviously a guitar with EMGs is going have certain characteristics, but the wood type, wood quality, and constuction method is going to have an impact too....just like you found out with the difference between the LTD and ESP :)

HollowmanPL

Reaction score
BKPs - I want to try them someday. I'm curious as hell

MetalDaze - Yep, I 100% agree. Despite of having LTD I had to say that I can 'feel' wood of this ESP. If I had more time I'm sure I'd get a better sound with it.
I have to return it :(

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Some people say that all guitars with EMGs sound the same, but that really isn't true.

Obviously a guitar with EMGs is going have certain characteristics, but the wood type, wood quality, and constuction method is going to have an impact too....just like you found out with the difference between the LTD and ESP :)

This is very true.

Honestly I hated the EMG 81, but my ESP M-II has a dual 81 set and for some reason it sounds incredible. I think honestly ESP and EMG is a good combo but I am biased :evil:

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
The first thing i did was to rip the EMG's out of my eclipse and i put some real PU's in when the guitar was new. EMG's sound flat, dead, lifeless, undynamic, compressed, thin, dead, did i say dead? It sounds like playing guitar over a telephone. Luckily you can sell them easily as there are so many EMG fanboys out there. And regarding the natural tonal quality of your wood, dont worry EMG's are going to kill that DEAD.

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
There's a used ESP just like in the OP that has Seymour Duncan pups in it at my local GC.

Damn fine guitar.

Schweitz4167

Reaction score
I totally agree, idk why some people say EMG's will make any guitar sound the same. I had EMG's in a $150 Epi LP and they sounded great, I put them in my Ibanez RG350 and I absolutly hate them they made it sound worse than it did with the stock infinity pickups, which is why Im putting Seymour Duncans in it as soon as possible

BabUShka

Reaction score
The first thing i did was to rip the EMG's out of my eclipse and i put some real PU's in when the guitar was new. EMG's sound flat, dead, lifeless, undynamic, compressed, thin, dead, did i say dead? It sounds like playing guitar over a telephone. Luckily you can sell them easily as there are so many EMG fanboys out there. And regarding the natural tonal quality of your wood, dont worry EMG's are going to kill that DEAD.

50% of all metal bands in the world sounds like they play over telephone? Jeff Loomis, Zakk Wylde, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Tosin, Deftones (the name speaks for it self?) ++

Its a matter of preferance.

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
Of course its a matter of preference! Do you want a full "real" tone that goes over the whole spectrum of what your guitar is capable of, or do you prefer a flat tone that doesn't have much character to it so you can easily lay effects over that.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^:sharpie:

I don't mind EMG's. They aren't as transparent as other pickups owing to the low output coils they use and the preamp. The coils work more as a note detector than a passive pickup which determine their whole sound from the pickups. It's not a criticism though, because they are extremely consistent and if you like their sound you can always get somewhere close to it. I really like the Steve Morse DiMarzios in the SM Sig EBMM but they just didn't work in my Jackson at all, very disappointing.

As for the Eclipse, I had a 2 for the longest time with a pair of 59's, it was an absolutely fantastic guitar, I have no idea why I sold that. I do this though, act on impulse, buy crap I don't need, sell stuff I love, it's a part of a bigger problem that I accept :lol:

Anyway, that aside, ESP's are great, EMG's are fun, cool clip :)

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I love EMG's. For metal.

So easy to get a good tone.

ESP Eclipse = My perfect guitar.
I have a snow white II as my main.

then again...

ESP Eclipse 7 = My perfect guitar...improved.

')