ESP Horizon NT7 VS FR7 + heavy string gauge

• Thread starter Deathell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deathell

Reaction score
I'm still deciding whether to go with the TOM or OFR version.
I have found my favorite set of strings which is

70 60 52 36 17 13 10 and tune to ADGCFAD.
Basically a combination of GHS 70 and Dunlop Wylde custom heavy set.

I'm currently using this set on my LTD DV8R (6 string V) without the 10.
Question is, could the FR take this much of tension? But really the tight strings are the 60 52 36 (DGC) within this set. I don't know how many springs that would come with it and if I need to buy extra springs to hold this tension. The FR routing space on the bottom of the trem looks promising tho, for intonation pegs to go further.

If you think this would work without too much hassle and instability I would probably go for the FR otherwise I'd probably just screw it get the TOM.
Tonewise.. would the TOM version with a bone nut sound tighter and thicker than the FR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dommak89

Reaction score
I have a friend who plays a Fame guitar with a Floyd and he has a 70 as his lowest string and he is perfectly fine with it. I don't think it will be an issue.
I have a 60 on my Alexi 600 and it works fine as well.
However, pesonally I would go for the NT as I have enough of trems for right now, but that's just me.

Edit: If it is standard how my Alexi 600 arrived it will come with 4 springs.

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
It should be fine. I play with a 66 on my RGD2127z ( 26.5in scale ) with a low A, so given the FR7 is 25.5, it should pretty much be close on tension with mine.

Also, if an FR couldn't take high tension strings, they wouldn't release an 8 string floyd. :lol:

Deathell

Reaction score
Also, if an FR couldn't take high tension strings, they wouldn't release an 8 string floyd. :lol:

You do have a point there but would the trade-off be some kind of significant wear on the knife edges, springs, or any other part of the FR system?

Mitochondria

Reaction score
If you can live with out a floyd then i would get the NT. Because you are considering the NT, you can probably live with out the floyd. Just think of changing strings, the lack of sustain, and the rust that floyds tend to get.... Then buy the NT!:hbang:

Reaction score
Lack of sustain? Wat.

Lack of sustain is not an issue.

Btw I had the 6 string ToM version for a week or so and did not notice a sustain difference between that and my OFR loomis.

')