ESP Jeff Hanneman vs KH-2

• Thread starter andriusd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

andriusd

Reaction score
I'd like to know how Jeff Hanneman's signature ESP (particularly, one from around early 2000s) neck compares to that of KH-2. Is there a difference in the back of the neck (neck profile), difference in flatness of the back of the neck, shoulders, thickness of the neck?

Also, I heard some people say that Kahlers are extremely difficult to set up. So I wonder if it would be possible to fit a Floyd Rose Original on the JH with no modifiations (no wood routing, no drilling for FR studs).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

andriusd

Reaction score
There are JH from the 200s with FRs fitted, so if you wnat a JH pick one of those up.

But those are LTDs right?
Besides, I have an opportunity to get a used JH ESP. I could not afford a new one.

Reaction score
Also, I heard some people say that Kahlers are extremely difficult to set up. So I wonder if it would be possible to fit a Floyd Rose Original on the JH with no modifiations (no wood routing, no drilling for FR studs).

Not possible, completely different routes.

The necks are both "extra" thin U.

Reaction score
Also, I think the JH guitars with Floyds may have been customs:

espjeff.jpg

jonsick

Reaction score
I've owned a 2000 Jeff Hanneman and a KH-2 from 2004. I have neither anymore.

The JH was my first big guitar, as in cost a bunch of money. I loved it but always felt the 41mm nut a little small. It was perfect for soloing and the neck shape complimented the narrow nut, but I found it sometimes a little tough for riffing. I had no problems with the Kahler but noticed that against my Warlock and strat at the time that it tended to knock off a bit of the low end.

The KH-2 was an impulse buy but I really liked it,. The neck shape was noticeably thinner and flatter than the JH and the nut width was in my opinion better than the JH.

Of the two, I miss my JH like rotten! It was destroyed in a flat fire in 2003 and I couldn't get another one for love nor money, at least, one that was exactly the same as it.

My KH-2 was great, but I don't miss it in the same way. If I was buying today, my heart would swing for the Hanneman, but my head would drag me towards the KH-2.

If that's the style of guitar you're after and it doesn't have to be a sig, I'd opt for a Jackson SL2H. I've yet to find a guitar that suits me better in terms of neck shape, hardware, etc. Although, I am going to order a custom SL2H with a Stealth neck shape... that may be the new winner.

Reaction score
Maybe this would interest you? I have seen the LTD Elite version (same guitar) going for about $1200. Trans black flame M-II:

E-II M-II FM STBLK - The ESP Guitar Company

It sounds like you know what you want, if you are worried about the trem I would pass and wait, or get something really close.

andriusd

Reaction score
Maybe this would interest you? I have seen the LTD Elite version (same guitar) going for about $1200. Trans black flame M-II:

E-II M-II FM STBLK - The ESP Guitar Company

It sounds like you know what you want, if you are worried about the trem I would pass and wait, or get something really close.

I guess it could be fine, but from what I understand, the neck is painted on that one, and older M-IIs had a satin-finished neck. Besides, I suppose the JH would be a better quality guitar. And, on a sidenote, I'm a bit bored of those flame-tops :)

jonsick

Reaction score
I think they had floyds at this point becasue kahlers were out of production at that point of time

Yep, Kahler were making golf clubs at that point.

In fact, I heard that Kerry and Jeff had to send old guitars to ESP so they could harvest the kahlers off them for their new touring guitars.

WestOfSeven

Reaction score
Don't limit yourself to just ESP's or sigs

Jackson SL2H's are as good or better than those guitars and can be had cheaper. Very similar to those models to the point of being interchangeable. Also pook at new esp m series.

andriusd

Reaction score
Don't limit yourself to just ESP's or sigs

Jackson SL2H's are as good or better than those guitars and can be had cheaper. Very similar to those models to the point of being interchangeable. Also pook at new esp m series.

I know, this is just a part of my research.
As for Jacksons, I played a couple and I don't think I liked the feel of their neck profile. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I don't want to risk getting a guitar that I might not get used to :). I tried an LTD M series model and I liked the neck much better. I think Jackson's neck profile had more pronounced shoulder (both were pretty recent as they were in a shop) - is that really so?

1b4n3z

Reaction score
The feel is truly different with Soloists - I have both and while they are both comfortable to play on, I think I prefer the ESP neck a bit. Definitely my M-II smokes the SL2H regarding tone and sensitivity, but it's a CS product after all. The Soloist was quite a bit better than a Standard M-II NTB though, but they weren't exact substitutes to begin with. I'll post a comparison after my Original Series M-II arrives after a little while :>

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Is it one of these: ESP Original Series -M-II- ?
How much did you pay for it? I wonder if they actually sell them for the price indicated on the website or if that's just an MSRP and the street price is different.

Yeah it's the CTM one. I've seen them retail on Japanese on-line stores for around 350 000 yens, but mine is used (2011 model) and less than half of that. All in all ~1500 euros shipped, with Customs fee and our savage 24 % VAT included. Should be good :)

electriceye

Reaction score
Maybe it was the one I tried at GC a few years ago (used), but the KH-2 couldn't have been more UNDERwhelming, especially at the price point it fetches.

Latest posts

')