Esp LH-150 vs SD Jazz/JB

• Thread starter Intellex222
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Intellex222

Reaction score
I recently bought a new ltd and after hearing time and time again that stock pickups are not good on cheap inport guitars, i wanted to install my old SD to find out how much it would actually inprove the tone. Imo the stock ones weren't terrible, but especially the jazz in the neck is a major improvement. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the tones :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
that stock pickups are not good on cheap inport guitars

It's a branding issue more than anything, and only some guitar manufacturers are affected, plenty have no stigma attached to their stock pickups. It's a combination of subjectively cheap looks of some guitars, usually not so good pickup names (and ugly logos on some), and most of all, lack of any information regarding the pickups. I really think that if guitar manufacturers started adding descriptions and tech specs (including a completely useless EQ chart - it's useless, but gotta have the chart, charts sell shit), there would be way less of a stigma.

Another problem is that often beginners read all sorts of shit on the internet, and become convinced that the problem is the pickups in their $300 LTD. Not the 15w Marshall MG combo that they're plugging into, that can't possibly be the problem. It's the pickups, everyone says it's the pickups. Same with pedals - cheap combo sounds like shit, therefore you need to buy a $100 pedal. You even see some completely insane people recommending $200-300 preamps like that popular Revv one to beginners with cheap gear.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have not one bad thing to say about the lh150
Great great pickup for the money
Maybe a little gritty and a tiny bit flat sometimes but that is high level complaining

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They don't sound bad. I'm actually curious over all how good the guitar itself is?

Adieu

Reaction score
Anyone ever compare them between years?

ESP/LTD has used the same pickup codes for pups in high-end 80s ESP custom guitars and cheapo 21st Chinese LTDs, but are they the same???

PS the SD Jazz is so much worse it's not even funny

Last edited:

Intellex222

Reaction score
They don't sound bad. I'm actually curious over all how good the guitar itself is?
Well the neck was thicker than i expected. It's more like a not so thin U, but still comfortable enough. I choose it because of the solid color and no binding, which i feel like they never get right at that price. Quality is honestly great for the money, it feels solid to play. Overall i'm happy with it.

Intellex222

Reaction score
It's personal preference but i greatly prefer the Jazz. Very sweet tone and not an overwhelming amout of bass.

gclef

Reaction score
The lh150s in my ltd were both muddy as all hell.

I had to tap them to get any high end.

These are the very same pickups that most of the cort factory guitars get, with and without covers.

')