ESP LTD guitars

• Thread starter schecter58
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

schecter58

Reaction score
I am looking at potentially buying an LTD EC-1000 or an LTD Snakebyte. I current have an epiphone SG and a Sterling JP100D.

While the Petrucci is an awesome instrument, I find myself playing the SG more consistently as I find the neck profile and scale a lot more comfortable to play.

What's everyone's experience with higher end LTD models?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
Awesome bang-for-your-buck. My H-1001 has been my primary player for the past 6 or 7 years and it never fails to disappoint. Very solidly built instruments, if the specs and finishes are to your taste.

I haven't played an SG or a JP100 in a while, but I think the neck profile on the EC-1000 is closer to the JP than the SG... I could be wrong, though.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Never had any complaints with the Deluxe 1000 series or Signature Series LTDs. I had a JP100D for a while and it was nice for the money, but I found the neck profile to be a little too thin for me. The ESP Thin U is very comfortable, not too thin, I like it quite a bit. Also the radius is 350mm (13.77") so not quite as flat as the 16" on the JP100D.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
LTDs are fantastic guitars for the price, and the majority of people I've spoken to (as well as myself from personal experience) list the EC-1000 as one of the guitars they want to own.

For the price you pay, you get a solid guitar that can handle a lot thrown at it. Gimme one in black cherry or purple finish with SD pickups and I'd be in heaven.

schecter58

Reaction score
Good to know. I know the neck scale is the same as the SG. If the neck thickness is somewhere in between that of the Petrucci and the SG that would be ideal. Going to try to find one locally to try out.

schecter58

Reaction score
Never had any complaints with the Deluxe 1000 series or Signature Series LTDs. I had a JP100D for a while and it was nice for the money, but I found the neck profile to be a little too thin for me. The ESP Thin U is very comfortable, not too thin, I like it quite a bit. Also the radius is 350mm (13.77") so not quite as flat as the 16" on the JP100D.

Good to know. Thanks!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
If the Epiphone has a slim taper D neck shape it will be closer to the EC-1000 Thin U. The Epiphone is slightly wider as well 1.68" vs 42mm (1.65") at the nut. Thin U shape should be 20mm 1st fret and 22mm at 12th.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
anything LTD offers that's above $500 is awesome for the money (below that too, in my experience)

I also have an epiphone SG and i own 2 ltd's (both thin-u necks). While the thin-u is no way near wizard-level thin, it's much thinner than the sg's. To me these necks are the most comfortable things in my house besides my bed but you should really try before you buy.

and then buy one, because LTD's are awesome.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Just replaced my EC-407 7 with a Schecter JL-7, and to be honest, I realized how many things were weird or wrong with it once I played the Schecter. To start, when they made the guitar they didn't drill sufficiently large holes for the pickup height adjustment screws, which resulted in them getting stripped and me having to physically rip one out of the guitar and have a luthier re-install it. The frets were also a little uneven and the 81-7 and 707 just didn't jive well with the mahogany body. Very little in the way of thumpy, tight lows, and instead just a lot of unfixable low-mid junk. That said, it still played very smoothly, but the lack of attention to detail and mediocre planning that seemed to have gone into it really rubbed me the wrong way. But it was only around $800, so maybe the $1000+ models are better.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
If you're a fan of SG's then you'll get along with the EC1000. I bought one while playing in a doom/prog band for a while. Solid construction for a Korean build. I tossed the EMGs for a Duncan custom 5 bridge and '59 neck which really helped bring it to life.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
I too am interested in the EC-1000 and during my research have read only positive reviews about them. My only gripes are the colours (black with gold hardware, not a fan) and the EMG's.

The EC-1000 will probably be my next guitar purchase.

that short guy

Reaction score
I own 3 LTD guitars, a BW-1, KS-7, and and EC-1000fr. They are incredibly good guitars for the price (I like my EC-1000 better than the EBMM JP i used to have) the necks are comfortable and they sound great with very little, if any, modding depending on your taste.

Garnoch

Reaction score
Here's what I wrote about the Iron Cross here (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/st...esp-snakebyte-ltd-iron-cross.html#post4148365)

Figured I'd cut down on threads and combine them being they're both made by ESP and they are both James Hetfield sigs. An ESP Snakebyte and an LTD Iron Cross. I bought the Snakebyte first. I had been going back and forth on the white or black one and when the white Iron Cross was announced I knew the black Snakebyte was the right choice. Now, I have a South Korean LTD JH-600EC (NGD - ESP LTD JH-600 EC) and a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme (3-Tone Sunburst Schecter Hellraiser Extreme) that are 99% as good as the ESP Snakebyte, so once I confirmed the Iron Cross was made there too, I decided on saving the money and getting the LTD. It too is easily 99% a Japanese ESP.

IanCBoss

Reaction score
I own 3 of the lower end LTD models and love them to death. I've played several others though and I don't think I've ever played an LTD I didn't feel comfortable on.

that short guy

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever played an LTD I didn't feel comfortable on.

Come to think about it me either... well kinda. The body shape of the viper messed with me a little but even them the neck was still spot on. I never realized this until you said it

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I got the Hammett White Zombie, plus I have had previously a couple of the Lynch GL600 LTD models and they were all fantastic.

The White Zombie is a great guitar, the quality def belies the price

stevexc

Reaction score

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Come to think about it me either... well kinda. The body shape of the viper messed with me a little but even them the neck was still spot on. I never realized this until you said it

I guess I'm a +3 here. I've never played an LTD that I disliked. I've owned Vipers, M models, and Eclipses. All of them played wonderfully. I don't think you'd go wrong with an LTD, especially a higher quality 1000 series. The CTM Eclipse models are really cool because you get a lot of the features of the ESP standard series Eclipses, such as 22 frets, full thickness, etc. Definitely an excellent set of features for the price.

schecter58

Reaction score
Well then, I best get the Sterling JP100 sold and try to find an EC-1000 to try out locally! Just started really posting on this forum recently (been a member for few years now) but everyone has been super helpful thus far.

This may be a question for another thread, anybody have experience buying brand new factory seconds from ebay retailers? I have spotted a distributor in Canada which has some good deals on factory second models.

Thanks \m/

Latest posts

')