ESP LTD MH-417 or similar guitars

• Thread starter Thorn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Reaction score
I'm new to 7 strings, I thought this would be a good guitar to buy (it has brilliant specs):
The ESP Guitar Company :: Guitars

However I can't find a single online store or even a local store that has these in stock :(

So I was wondering what other guitars you would recommend that are quite similar to this one?
Budget: £850 ish
Note: I have an Ibanez 6 string now, so I would prefer not to have a 7 string ibby as they would be too similar in my opinion (typical basswood bolt-on).
I'm looking for something like a mahogany neck-thru good for rhythm and lead stuff.

Also I'm in England, so no Agiles...

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Reaction score
^ Thanks, I looked at some of those and I've been thinking about the Schecter Blackjack ATX c-7

Also I'd prefer a fixed bridge, and I'm not too bothered about shape but I want to be able to it down and play (as well as stand) comfortably.

Wingchunwarrior

OVER THE LINE!
Reaction score
Yeah the ATX looks wicked imo, good choice, however the schecter have big fat necks almost like gibsons so if you play an ibby you may not like it. so if you want a neck similar to the ibby try either another ibby, a jackson,bc riches or the ltds, as for the shoulders and actual shape of the necks I'm not too sure but you could probably get used to it.

If you don't use the neck pickup, the jackson Cow is a good choice plus you can pick them up second hand for about £350.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
I recommend the Loomis in that list. Nice neck, nice construction, gorgeous looks, good pick ups and the woods just make it roar :hbang:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
The Loomis is also a great guitar, my flatmate has one, sounds amazing but in ways I prefer the MH417. Both are great guitars.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
ATX's are awesome. I like the C-7 Custom as well, but if you want actives by any chance C-7 Hellraiser, or Loomis.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Also the body is much thicker (like a les paul) on the schecters than on the esp

avenger

Reaction score
My loomis is a beast. Normally not a schecter guy but I can say the loomis packs soo much bang for its buck its hard to turn down!

iddqd

Reaction score
It seems that LTD cant manage the market demand. A guy at thomann wrote me that they'll get the MH-417s again in may 2011.
But i managed to order one in time :)

Thorn

Reaction score
I called my local guitar shop today to see how long it would take to order one of the MH-417s. If they can't get it to me in less than a couple of weeks, I think I'll go for the blackjack atx c-7. The ebony fretboard and blackouts really seem great.
Although I'm not sure about a guitar without any fret markers on it.

iddqd

Reaction score
Well, there are the typical small fretmarkers on the upper side of the neck - all you need i guess. And i kinda liked the neck of the blackjack after two or three days and i played only ibanez before. Imo it's just a matter of getting used to it.

I sent my blackjack back because the quality of the ebony fretboard was pretty bad on mine. Hope you got more luck with yours.

')