ESP/LTD Seven String Mirage Club.. (M-Series)

owner

riff vending machine
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have been following this forum for about a decade now, but never had the guts to register as I have never had a seven string guitar till now. But just recently, I managed to pick up my first; being a seven string Mirage made by LTD : The M-17

It's one of the P.R.C. made entry level guitars I picked up from Guitar Center for hella cheap during my vacation over in the United States, just to get it signed up by one of the bands I look up to as musicians; Periphery.

Out of sheer coincidence, I got a set of Bare Knuckle 7-string Blackhawks signed by Jake Bowen himself before the show, the same day I purchased the guitar & had it also signed by the lads..

M17-001_zps4f440872.jpg

Surprisingly, the guitar turned out to be fabulous for it's price and got me hooked! It surely is a brilliant addition to my collection because it fills that niche I didn't have; the option to play 7-String riffage I come across, that could only be played using a 7-string.

:yesway: Incredible neck & boy, that headstock..

I love this guitar because it was cheaper than a bottle of Evian drinking water, and nothing about it bothered me at all other than the "Telecaster style" switch, which is just a personal thing. So, I ended up replacing all the electronics with the better quality parts available, ditching the Master Tone potentiometer and installing a Gibson style 3-Way Toggle into the valid hole which was closest to my right hand..

The stock pickups were pretty good, much better than the Schecter SGR C-7 & Ibanez RG7321 stocks, which were the other two competing guitars at the store. In the near future, I might upgrade this chainsaw down the road with the following;
  • Hipshot reverse/lefty locking tuners
  • Earvana 48mm nut
  • FU TONE "Pickup Mounting System" (if ever released for 7 strings)
but for now I will wait and see how it holds up. After all, I'm not a very serious 7-string strummer.. yet.

The only thing I really dislike about this guitar is that it seems too good to be true for just $189 (U.S.) thus, I keep expecting it to stop working or develop some costly issue. But no, maybe that's just a physiological syndrome us guitarists have regarding some brands & their lower end subsidiaries.. So far I am really impressed.

Try it out if you come across, you may consider one as a backup..
& if you have an ESP/LTD Mirage or something, feel free to share on this thread..

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Nice one, man. Welcome to the ever-growing addiction of "I NEED MORE STRINGS!". Also, it's rather funny that you put a $350 set of pickups in a $190 guitar, but if you're happy, that's all that counts. :yesway:

owner

riff vending machine
Reaction score
Here is a pic taken back home right after the long flight, before the grand surgery on each guitar. I'm considering giving the LTD M-17 also a "Concrete Sledge" finish so it matches the others visually.. this time I'll throw in my florescent green scheme for that I had proposed to Dean half a decade back for the limited run ML's..

1391637_10153385946245587_1951466177_n.jpg

Nice one, man. Welcome to the ever-growing addiction of "I NEED MORE STRINGS!". Also, it's rather funny that you put a $350 set of pickups in a $190 guitar, but if you're happy, that's all that counts. :yesway:

Thanks much!
To be honest when it comes to the extra string factor; I tried out an 8 string and didn't understand anything, it just felt like an overload of extended area to play on, kind of like "hey, that's the bass guitars purpose". Unlike the 7 string; which to me even makes more sense as I play it day by day.. with a lower B or even drop A, sometimes the ridiculousness of a down tuned G, for some Crowbar type o' stuff even.

These Blackhawk pickups just fell from the sky, so I certainly didn't mind at all soldering them into the LTD. If I happen to come to a state that I feel I could upgrade to a Washburn N7 or get a custom made passive Rico Jekyll 727, then I could just transfer the BKP's and keep the LTD with it's stocks as a backup/holiday souvenir.. :metal:

owner

riff vending machine
Reaction score
Could we hear some more about that SG?

1986 Gibson USA® "Concrete Sledge" SG Special (3-Knob Limited)

Specifications:

* Body and neck wood: Mahogany body, Maple neck
* Construction: Set-Neck
* D.o.B: 08 / 11 / 86
* Bridge & Nut style: Tune-o-matic w/ roller bridge, bone nut (42mm)
* Tuners: GuitarFetish Keystone (Blk)
* Neck shape: That Fat Gibby "C" shape..
* Fingerboard material: Ebony
* Inlays: Medium Pearl Dots
* Frets: 22 x Medium
* Controls: 2 Volumes, 3 way switch (Latest layout..)
* H/H Pickup configuration: Gibson® 500T / Seymour Duncan® SH-1N

ONUR_GIBSON_CSSG.jpg

This is a project guitar I had restored myself from an old, old Gibson that was in horrid condition, along with the help of my airbrushing teacher. Turned out to be a purdy good overall rock n' roll guitar that I specifically use for the Standard Tuning stuff..

Last edited:

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
DUDE! I remember you from years back on the Dean Forum....glad to see you're still rocking that SG! It came out so much better than the stock Dean paintjob.

On topic: I played that M-17 on a 5153 a couple weeks ago and I was shocked at how good it was for the price....can only imagine how much better it sounds with the BKPs in it.

Welcome to SSO, dude. Everyone is gonna be glad you're here....for the people who don't know, this guy is a ....in MONSTER player.

owner

riff vending machine
Reaction score
DUDE! I remember you from years back on the Dean Forum....glad to see you're still rocking that SG! It came out so much better than the stock Dean paintjob.

On topic: I played that M-17 on a 5153 a couple weeks ago and I was shocked at how good it was for the price....can only imagine how much better it sounds with the BKPs in it.

Welcome to SSO, dude. Everyone is gonna be glad you're here....for the people who don't know, this guy is a ....in MONSTER player.

Howdy buddy?
'tis been ages for sure.. thanks so much for the warm welcome & the compliments!

I first tried it out on a 6505+ combo, the neck was very welcoming, so I didn't hesitate taking it to the cashier afterwards. I had predicted it was going to sound better (as it does) once I was to take it back across the Atlantic & plug into the Axe-Fx. Just recently made a patch that turns that basswood into robocop's left boob armor.. :metal:

Will locking tuners stabilize tuning after all the bends and what not I put the guitar into? Or, is it just to lock the string in a convenient way?

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
tbh, I'm not sure how much the locking part of a tuner affects the actual stability. Basically they have a screw part behind so when you insert the string through the peg you lock it and its easier and faster to wind it.
BUT
changing stock tuners will be most definitely an improvement and imho the first mod anyone should do if it is an entry level guitar such as this, even if you choose non-locking.
That said, i'm making horrid assumptions with that statement. If you feel your tuning is fine, then maybe ESP stock tuners are good and you don't need to change them, unless you want the added benefit of quicker string changes with the locks :)

lewstherin006

Reaction score
Dude thats awesome! It is amazing how good those BKP Blackhawks make the guitar sound huh? I put some in my jp70 and they sound amazing!! Very awesome that you got this signed my Pureriffery!