ESP LTD V-307

• Thread starter allseeingeye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This forum (i.e. you) rocks.

Here's a subjective question for those who own or have played the guitar in question. Would you describe its sound -- either distorted or clean -- as "warm"? I'm in a melodic doom death band and apart from heavy chugging/soloing, we do a lot of sweet melodic harmonies and clean/atmospheric stuff. I'm hoping the mahogany will bring a dark warmth to the sound, but having no experience with active pickups, I don't know what their effect will be.

I'm playing through a Peavey 5150II, with the treble on the overdrive channel turned fairly low.

Kozuki

the newbie..?
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This forum (i.e. you) rocks.

Here's a subjective question for those who own or have played the guitar in question. Would you describe its sound -- either distorted or clean -- as "warm"? I'm in a melodic doom death band and apart from heavy chugging/soloing, we do a lot of sweet melodic harmonies and clean/atmospheric stuff. I'm hoping the mahogany will bring a dark warmth to the sound, but having no experience with active pickups, I don't know what their effect will be.

I'm playing through a Peavey 5150II, with the treble on the overdrive channel turned fairly low.

I double this! I want to know what does the clean sound like too!

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I didn't see anything in the forum rules against bumping threads, so I thought I might give this one a little nudge.

Is there anyone who can comment on the sound of the aforementioned instrument? Specifically, does it fit the description 'warm' or 'dark' in any way? Would it be a good choice for melodic doom/death metal?

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Haven't played one, but, EMGs, less wood than other guitar shapes, I doubt it'll be warm?

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Haven't played one, but, EMGs, less wood than other guitar shapes, I doubt it'll be warm?
Hm, good points. I guess I'll just have to wait and see cause I ordered me one. :cool: I'm sure I'll be able to get a good tone (I'll experiment with some before and/or after preamp equalising if necessary).

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures! Having had it for little over a month, what are your impressions so far? I'm thinking about ordering a V-307 but I'd be ordering blind, since I don't know of any shops in my vicinity where I could try one.

I currently own a BC Rich Warlock P7, which I bought second hand a couple of years ago (here's me playing it). It's not the greatest instrument in the world but I didn't want to spend too much as it was my first foray into seven string territory.

One thing I do like about the Warlock though is that the neck is quite thin for a 7-string (I think, as I don't have much to compare it to). That's why I'm especially curious about the thickness of the V-307's neck.

Another thing I'd like to know is if it's possible to get a good clean tone from those active EMG's.

Apologies for the huge delay...
The neck of the 307 feels great, in my opinion. It seems very sleek and not bulky at all. Then again I have large hands. The clean tones from the EMGs are totally suitable.

Fear not to order blindly. That's what I did and the guitar far surpassed my expectations.

The Ibanez RGA8 I received in the mail today, however...

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Apologies for the huge delay...
The neck of the 307 feels great, in my opinion. It seems very sleek and not bulky at all. Then again I have large hands. The clean tones from the EMGs are totally suitable.

Fear not to order blindly. That's what I did and the guitar far surpassed my expectations.

The Ibanez RGA8 I received in the mail today, however...

Thanks for your reply, despite the delay! :lol: I went ahead and ordered my Ltd V-307 last summer, blindly (but aided, among others, by this thread and your pictures), and got it in July, and I absolutely love it. The neck's perfect for me. It feels sleek, indeed, but not flat like that of my Ibanez (a Xiphos707fx, which I also like, but I prefer the Ltd).

I ended up swapping the EMGs for Seymour Duncan Blackouts because I wanted it to sound a bit fuller, but it plays like a dream.

Incidentally, I also got an 8-string recently, an extremely cheap model that's sold through German online dealer Thomann. I'm quite liking it though, for what it is. Sorry to hear your RGA8 isn't really what you hoped for...

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I just noticed yours says 'China' on the back of the headstock. Mine's made in Indonesia! Other than that, I don't see any differences.

faItR.jpg

Reaction score
Do you post on youtube? I am shocked at the utter lack of info on the V307 and would love to see what other actual owners are up to with theirs.

It's not that the RGA8 is bad. It's not. I'm having quite a lot of fun with it today so far. The stock pick ups are total shit, but I knew that going in. I'm just comping at the bit to order the Blackouts for it. How are you like the Blackouts for your 307?

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I don't have any video's of me playing it yet. If I ever make one, I'll post it here. I recently found out ss.o user ghstofperdition bought one too. We should start a V-307 club! :)

I love the Blackouts. The EMGs are more focused, I guess, but to me they sounded a bit too narrow. The Blackouts are very full sounding; I actually run them through an EQ to accentuate the mids a bit, but they're still a lot warmer (clean) and thicker (distorted) than the EMGs, and not muddy at all.

I've just uploaded a couple of recordings I made a while ago. I'm afraid my recording skills aren't great, and I may have oversaturated the clean sound a bit, but I hope it gives you an idea.
https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/tancredi-clorinda
https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/tancredi-morte

And these short experiments show off the distorted sound:
https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/leidensch-ftlich
https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/fragment (neck pickup for lead, bridge for riff)

Reaction score
Here is a poor quality pic of the new RGA8 done with my new Droid DNA. I was hoping the quality would be better than this.

Also, a quick family shot of all my stringed instruments, as well as my drums which are horribly dusty. Sheesh where is the maid when you need her?

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 25

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Here is a poor quality pic of the new RGA8 done with my new Droid DNA. I was hoping the quality would be better than this.

Also, a quick family shot of all my stringed instruments, as well as my drums which are horribly dusty. Sheesh where is the maid when you need her?

Wow -- nice setup! :metal:

Reaction score
Here is a short sample of a new song I am working on. I took out the bass tracks so you could hear the V-307 on it's own.

Signal Chain:
ESP LTD V-307 > Shure SM57 > Bugera 333XL > Behringer XENYX 2442USB > Mixcraft 6 with minor compression. Two guitar tracks, panned hard right and hard left.

https://soundcloud.com/troy-leblanc/untitled-song-esp-ltd-v-307

Here is a very short sampling of the RGA8 I did today as soon as I unboxed her.
Again, no bass, just guitars and drums. Same signal chain as above only with the RGA8 obviously.
https://soundcloud.com/troy-leblanc/new-rga8

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Here is a short sample of a new song I am working on. I took out the bass tracks so you could hear the V-307 on it's own.

Signal Chain:
ESP LTD V-307 > Shure SM57 > Bugera 333XL > Behringer XENYX 2442USB > Mixcraft 6 with minor compression. Two guitar tracks, panned hard right and hard left.

https://soundcloud.com/troy-leblanc/untitled-song-esp-ltd-v-307

Here is a very short sampling of the RGA8 I did today as soon as I unboxed her.
Again, no bass, just guitars and drums. Same signal chain as above only with the RGA8 obviously.
https://soundcloud.com/troy-leblanc/new-rga8

Cool, did you play the drums yourself too? Wish I could do that...

Hello everyone,
since this thread is now active, I wish to put my question here, which is in here - http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/223047-case-ltd-v-307-a.htmlhttp://
If someone could answer me, I would thank you very much! :hbang:

Glad you got an answer in the other thread in the meantime! :) So you're going through with the V-307, yay! Join the club!

Kozuki

the newbie..?
Reaction score
Glad you got an answer in the other thread in the meantime! :) So you're going through with the V-307, yay! Join the club!
Yup, i'm going for it in late March, and i'm confident that I couldn't get any better guitar for this price and i'm not scared of it's shape at all. Of course I would love to get a RAN 7 crusher, but I need to save some money for other things, so that's in my plans, I guess :)

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
*kanye* Yo thats a cool guitar and ima let you finish dog, but The empire strikes back was the best star wars.

Hngd, look badass! love the jam space.

')