ESP M1 flaw, would this bother you?

• Thread starter frogman81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frogman81

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just took out my less-than-a-month old ESP, and noticed what I consider a pretty significant finish flaw. I'm 99% positive I couldn't have missed it at first unboxing, so it must be do to humidity/acclimatization.

Basically a groove in the paint that runs from about an inch below the bridge up to the neck pocket. The paint isn't split anywhere, so I don't think it's a crack. I suspect it's a groove in the actual wood grain that formed as it dried??

It's down the middle of the body, and it's a three piece neck-thru, so it doesn't seem to be on a wood joint.

What do you guys think? I doesn't REALLY bother me, it's more that this was the first "top quality" guitar I've purchased and also the only guitar I've had this happen to. Kinda like "Dammit Universe, I thought I did everything right here!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
If that was a two piece maple cap I'd guess it's just thin finish sinking into the center seam, but I suppose M-I doesn't come capped like that.. Is the groove perfectly straight?
But yeah, most likely it's due to finish settling. In the winter I saw a couple of M-I's with the fretboard cracking quite impressively here in Finland, both presumably from the same batch. The winter up here is quite relentless and especially gruel to guitars, but they were a special case regardless. I guess the woods weren't dried thoroughly before finishing.

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't be to happy about a groove like that on a new guitar. I would contact the dealer you bought it from or ESP directly about warranty service or replacement.

frogman81

Reaction score
If that was a two piece maple cap I'd guess it's just thin finish sinking into the center seam, but I suppose M-I doesn't come capped like that.. Is the groove perfectly straight?
But yeah, most likely it's due to finish settling. In the winter I saw a couple of M-I's with the fretboard cracking quite impressively here in Finland, both presumably from the same batch. The winter up here is quite relentless and especially gruel to guitars, but they were a special case regardless. I guess the woods weren't dried thoroughly before finishing.

Yeah I don't think there's a top on an M1. I'm hoping to get the pickup taken out today to get a better look. The groove is perfectly straight from neck pocket to bridge, then curves ever so slightly near the end, making it look sorta like natural grain.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Unless that guitar feels like "the one" and flaws be damned it plays exactly how you imagined it would when you coughed up the money for a genuine ESP, I'd return it or exchange it.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Oh man, that is weird ... yeah, I think that would bother me. Please do keep us updated.

knagy0325

Reaction score
Sure it would bother me, especially on a new guitar. Plus this decreases the value you could sell it for later.
Ask for another guitar or your money back. Hope it works out fine for you!

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
This sort of issue is definitely covered under ESP's warranty. You'll have no problem returning or exchanging it.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
If I buy a guitar new and it's not *absolutely flawless* I would return/exchange it.

No excuses whatsoever.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I own an M1, and short answer, yes that would bother me.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
For the amount of money and ESP costs, you return that thing right now. That would bother the crap out of me.

frogman81

Reaction score
Well I don't feel so OCD anymore! :)

I just emailed the ebay dealer I bought it from (directmusiconline). I'm suddenly a little concerned that they might be selling factory seconds as someone mentioned. It was listed as a new "demo" model... I guess buyer beware on the interwebz... We'll see what they say.

When I can get my hands on a screwdriver (staying in a hotel) I'll investigate the pickup cavity.

It does play really awesome, so I won't lose too much sleep to keep it, but maybe 20% off would be nice.

I'm losing a little faith in ESP though. My (used) EC-1000 has a neck angle that my guitar tech of choice figured must have been at the limit of their tolerances, because the bridge is lowered to its absolute limit on the high E side to get an acceptable string action. Then the headstock on my LTD bass was so hideous that I eventually to a saw to it and reshaped it to something less offensive to me. I'm thinking my future hard-earned instrument funds will be going to Jackson....

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
I'm losing a little faith in ESP though. My (used) EC-1000 has a neck angle that my guitar tech of choice figured must have been at the limit of their tolerances, because the bridge is lowered to its absolute limit on the high E side to get an acceptable string action. Then the headstock on my LTD bass was so hideous that I eventually to a saw to it and reshaped it to something less offensive to me. I'm thinking my future hard-earned instrument funds will be going to Jackson....

I have had horrible experiences with LTDs. I have had great experiences with ESPs. I wouldn't let LTD qc issues deter you from ESP. I'm also a big fan of Jackson, and you can't really go wrong there, either.

Hopefully, the seller will give you a refund. Let us know how it turns out.

')