ESP M1 flaw, would this bother you?

• Thread starter frogman81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

satchisgod

Reaction score
Yeah that would bother the hell out of me. You didn't get what you paid for and that is unfortunately a flaw in the manufacturing of that particular one. Send it back!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
Then the headstock on my LTD bass was so hideous that I eventually to a saw to it and reshaped it to something less offensive to me. I'm thinking my future hard-earned instrument funds will be going to Jackson....
can I see that? I'm curious now :lol:

frogman81

Reaction score
can I see that? I'm curious now :lol:

He he, sure! This is a B-154DX. The stock headstock drove me f*ckn crazy, staring at me from across the room... Eventually I had to do something about it! Maybe I'm not exactly ready to start building headstocks, but I feel better about it now :)

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
The stock headstock drove me f*ckn crazy, staring at me from across the room.

No worries, it's just a bass. Nice hackjob.

Well I don't feel so OCD anymore! :)

I just emailed the ebay dealer I bought it from (directmusiconline). I'm suddenly a little concerned that they might be selling factory seconds as someone mentioned. It was listed as a new "demo" model... I guess buyer beware on the interwebz... We'll see what they say.

When I can get my hands on a screwdriver (staying in a hotel) I'll investigate the pickup cavity.

It does play really awesome, so I won't lose too much sleep to keep it, but maybe 20% off would be nice.....

All ESP's play awesome. I wouldn't settle for a factory 2nd unless the price was 50% to 70% off or so.

I'm losing a little faith in ESP though. My (used) EC-1000 has a neck angle that my guitar tech of choice figured must have been at the limit of their tolerances, because the bridge is lowered to its absolute limit on the high E side to get an acceptable string action.

That looks like the trussrod of that EC-1000 is set to maximum neck relief, rendering the neck angle useless. Check the neck for excessive bow, straighten it a bit more if possible without fret buzz, then slightly raise the bridge to your liking.

Who needs a tech anyway. You have SSO and an allen wrench. :yesway:

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Looks to me like the joint b/w the two pieces of alder (?) making the body.
The wood/glue might have shifted/contracted at your place.
since it's so new, I would call the dealer where you got it and let them know that you think this should be considered a b-stock item and see what they will do to work with you.
I know that would drive me nuts!!!
Good luck...

Last edited:

Zado

Reaction score
He he, sure! This is a B-154DX. The stock headstock drove me f*ckn crazy, staring at me from across the room... Eventually I had to do something about it! Maybe I'm not exactly ready to start building headstocks, but I feel better about it now :)

wel wanna see a really...weird bass headstock?
l.jpg

that said,they are some of the best basses around......that heastock though:lol:

frogman81

Reaction score
That looks like the trussrod of that EC-1000 is set to maximum neck relief, rendering the neck angle useless. Check the neck for excessive bow, straighten it a bit more if possible without fret buzz, then slightly raise the bridge to your liking.

Who needs a tech anyway. You have SSO and an allen wrench. :yesway:

I adjusted the truss rod first, but it still had a long way to go to get to the action I wanted.

The dealer got back to me, of course saying they couldn't do anything directly and that they've forwarded the issue to ESP. We'll see!

BlazinmanFly

Reaction score
It would bother me. But then again I just go by how the guitar sounds not how it looks.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
. I'm thinking my future hard-earned instrument funds will be going to Jackson....

I would inspect any jackson prior to buying. I havent had much luck with that company. All of them have been USA select fender era guitars that left a lot to be desired. I havent had anything made after 2009 so Im not sure if they are better now. But they got pretty hairy in 2007-09. I would likely guess you ended up with a b-stock instrument. Oddly enough i cant think of what would cause that unless it was an issue prior to painting as it doesnt look like a seam at all. Very odd.

Suitable

Reaction score
^I definitely second that! I would love one but no one sells them locally so I had to buy blind... bad move... I've never seen wood flex like that except for cheap pine! And a few other defects that anyone could see during manufacturing. I had to ship it back to the states where I.bought it and luckily the company I bought it off refunded me in full including all shipping costs. I will get my jackson 1 day. but I want to hold it before handing over the cash. This was this year.... Take the ESP M-1 back to where you bought her and they will sort it out for you as they are the ones that are legally have to warrant the defect. All ESP will tell you is to take it back to the store you bought it from. All will be sweet and you'll have a HNGD soon that you can be proud of! My $0.02

')