ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
I gotta ask this question because I feel like I'm going crazy: is every ESP Original/Japanese model have Nickel silver frets? I was under the impression that everything was SS (just because I assumed every company that's not more "vintage/classy" with it's specs and target audience used them now) but they don't? I played some killer ESPs yesterday at the Axe Palace and I'd be completely fooled haha.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
ESP always featured Nickel Steel frets, any Stainless Steel you're seeing is on modern LTDs at the moment.

But highly polished Nickel Steel is just as smooth as Stainless Steel, they oxidize and corrode over time though so that polish just needs to be maintained whenever you change strings.

jco5055

Reaction score
ESP always featured Nickel Steel frets, any Stainless Steel you're seeing is on modern LTDs at the moment.

But highly polished Nickel Steel is just as smooth as Stainless Steel, they oxidize and corrode over time though so that polish just needs to be maintained whenever you change strings.

Also ESP USA models are SS too I believe.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I played some killer ESPs yesterday at the Axe Palace and I'd be completely fooled haha.

Superior craftsmanship with traditional materials outperforms superior materials with less experienced craftsmanship. Both are nice to have but one matters more, full stop. If only that concept could permeate the collective SSO hive mind.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
LTD 1000 series Arrow.
127D8748-2EA1-4A48-9C10-DFDE12FD46DC.jpeg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I gotta ask this question because I feel like I'm going crazy: is every ESP Original/Japanese model have Nickel silver frets? I was under the impression that everything was SS (just because I assumed every company that's not more "vintage/classy" with it's specs and target audience used them now) but they don't? I played some killer ESPs yesterday at the Axe Palace and I'd be completely fooled haha.

Contrary to the rhetoric of stainless steel zealots (I have guitars with all manner of fretwire, I don't care) it takes a good deal of time or playing for quality, well dressed and polished nickel silver frets to start showing obvious signs of wear and oxidation. So stuff new off the rack and with minimal play time will still be plenty clean and smooth for a good long while.

jco5055

Reaction score
Anyone know what the custom shop starts out at price-wise? Like if a person just went "I want this stock guitar but add a floyd to it" kinda thing, where you do the bare minimum to make it custom now? I know there's all the stories of people spending 8k and up but wonder if that's because they are really taking advantage of the "we can do anything" aspect of the custom shop.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone know what the custom shop starts out at price-wise? Like if a person just went "I want this stock guitar but add a floyd to it" kinda thing, where you do the bare minimum to make it custom now? I know there's all the stories of people spending 8k and up but wonder if that's because they are really taking advantage of the "we can do anything" aspect of the custom shop.

A dealer can get you a current price list, they tend to update those yearly starting around now.

I've gotten quotes for stuff like different bridges and finishes on current Original series and depending on the model you're only adding between $400 and $1000 depending on model and what's being changed.

Keep in mind, that's on top of existing Original pricing.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

Prepare to be disappointed. I've done this probably a dozen times since it seems to be the natural destination for a conversation with me at ESP crafthouse or BigBoss. So I hate 12th fret inlays and a slightly lesser extent the side block inlays, but I hate them enough that I can't justify $4k+ on a guitar with them, and so I'm looking at an otherwise perfect horizon or maverick and I say like, "Can I just get it exactly like this without the inlay?" Short answer, an original series horizon with inlay: ~$4k, the same horizon built without an inlay: ~$6.5k. That's just how they do it. One time I was talking to younger staff and I had him actually ring it up as a $80 upcharge, but he double checked something with a more senior person and the whole thing fell apart.

If all you want is a different finish, that can be done as an upcharge sort of thing and usually it's pretty reasonable (I think). Maybe you can get away with hardware or binding color (never tried). But you touch anything else that would be in the actual spec sheet, you're in full CS mode and the -base- price rises a huge amount. On top of the base price, you honestly might as well try to go outlandish because the upcharges on top of that aren't so unreasonable.

Caveat, a lot of people in the US seem to get better pricing then me. I think the US dealers are more fast-and-loose with the margins, etc., so maybe you can find someone where these price estimates are not so exact, but I have to think the idea is basically the same - big upcharge for deviations in anything but color.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Soooo....how do you like it?
It’s probably my favorite of the three 1000 series I’ve had a chance to try out. The 87 series m 1 plays very similar to this one. I need to take some pictures and do a write up. If wether permits— tomorrow. I’m considering selling some of my PRS ce24 to fund more LTD’s, maybe even the mh1007 I have too. If I didn’t play in so many different tunings I’d probably just pick up an original series or USA model. The new models with stainless frets are the shit.

Blitzie

Reaction score
I've wanted a white ESP MX since I saw James Hetfields EET FUK explorer on the Live Shit DVD when I was 13 years old.

19 years later...a dream come true.

Attachments

• EC004679-0956-4065-AB43-3A5B317EFCAA.jpeg
    EC004679-0956-4065-AB43-3A5B317EFCAA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 1DBF0FE0-A432-448E-B432-6A9C699B7423.jpeg
    1DBF0FE0-A432-448E-B432-6A9C699B7423.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • E6796E50-072B-40C1-9F80-15CC09DC1862.jpeg
    E6796E50-072B-40C1-9F80-15CC09DC1862.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • ECC44B03-C514-450E-B0A3-2690B936467C.jpeg
    ECC44B03-C514-450E-B0A3-2690B936467C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I've wanted a white ESP MX since I saw James Hetfields EET FUK explorer on the Live Shit DVD when I was 13 years old.

19 years later...a dream come true.

Nice - the yahoo auctions one from the other week?

')