ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jeckert7

Reaction score
A couple of my babies:

ESP Horizon NT-II

esphorizon.jpg

ESP LTD MH-401QM (going to try and sell/trade this once I meet the requirements on this site):

espltd01.jpg

Bad.Ass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noizfx

Behold the ONI!
Reaction score
Also curious question for other ESP owners, does anyone know what ESP does to treat their ebony boards that makes them so slick and smooth? They're polished to an almost reflective quality which feels great, I'm wondering what they do to get them like that? :scratch:

Every time I've asked that question, I'm told that they just polish them. I dunno... seems unlikely, considering how shiny they are, but either way, I love it.

Since I have personal contact with the president of ESP Japan, I asked him the same question and this is what he replied:

"There's nothing special. We just use finest quality ebony and polish it well. And, we use lemon oil to keep moisture."

So... I guess that's the official answer they give out then!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I doubt it's anything other than polish, my ESPs are respectively 12 and 20 years old and the ebony looks a bit duller but still smooth. The grain is very, very tight and anything they might have added on top of it would have gone by now.

indrangelion

You guys are funny
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think just polishing a piece of ebony would make it shine like it does! :rofl: It is SUPER slick and very comfortable, moreso than I thought it would be! :D

This is a close-up shot of my Kamikaze Star's fretboard.

esp_lynch_kamikaze_std_9.jpg

It's actually a LOT more polished/glossier in person. I kid you not, the day it arrived I could see my reflection on the fretboard :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

It's actually a LOT more polished/glossier in person. I kid you not, the day it arrived I could see my reflection on the fretboard :lol:

Yeah I can see myself in my fretboard, and when I play the lights off my Axe-Fx reflect off the fretboard in my eyes! :rofl:

phrygian12

Reaction score
My ESP Mirage custom. Looks transblack, but it's actually purple.

DSCN0401.jpg

DSCN0394.jpg

DSCN0380.jpg

DSCN0391.jpg

DSCN0400.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
In regards to Matt's question about the ebony:

I don't know if it was just a gem of a fretboard or what, but the rosewood on the 407 I played today was fucking crazy smooth to the point of being surprised. I've seen guitars play smooth and such but this one was just out of the park and it was totally stock. I think they've begun doing it on some of their higher up guitars as well like the EC-1000's and since they're 7's aren't too far from that price bracket it might not be a stretch.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

Whatchu know 'bout shiny fretboards? :rofl:

559069_10150709894854533_747654532_9277316_1301508930_n.jpg

Check out that board, you can see the reflection of the low E perfectly and the glowing parts are reflections from my Axe-II and power conditioner! :lol:

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Whatchu know 'bout shiny fretboards? :rofl:

559069_10150709894854533_747654532_9277316_1301508930_n.jpg

Check out that board, you can see the reflection of the low E perfectly and the glowing parts are reflections from my Axe-II and power conditioner! :lol:

Damn! That is awesome!

When will there be an NGD thread man?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Haha yeah that shot was with my iPhone. :lol: I haven't had time to bust out the SLR since every day I've had time it's been awfully dark. Maybe this weekend if it's nice! :D

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Actually, I have an LTD H-351 NT with a rosewood board that's also very shiny, so I'm lead to believe that they apply some sort of finish on these.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Ebony when polished to a very high grade is actually very reflective even when it's dry...I've literally seen ebony boards that should be mirrors. Very shiny without oil as well. Just figured I'd interject lol.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Matt isn't a ESP too tame for your exotic tastes? :)

Oh, of course it is! I'm using this thing as firewood, it got pretty chilly here for a few days! :lol: ;) Hehe nah I really liked the new FR-II model and I found a used one at a great price so I jumped. :D I love ESP stuff, always have. A lot of my earlier guitars were LTDs, if the custom shop stuff wasn't so pricey I'd own an ESP CS too. :lol:

Latest posts

')