ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
What does everything think of a Horizon III or MII compared to a production RG, middle of the line for both? Just curious.

It's positioned way higher than most "production" RGs, compare to top of the line

RGs will have much flatter neck profiles

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
It's positioned way higher than most "production" RGs, compare to top of the line

RGs will have much flatter neck profiles

I've always heard esp necks are a little thicker. Not always my sort of thing but you never know.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Extra Thin U is a pretty thin neck, though maybe not original Wizard thin. I prefer having a slight amount of heft to the shape, personally. Thin U is just about perfect. Suhr's Modern Elliptical is really good, too.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
ESP necks will be quite different from one another even if they are listed as the same profile. For example, I used to own an E-II Mystique and I've played an E-II Horizon, Horizon II, Horizon III, and Eclipse model--all having 'Thin U' neck shapes. While some felt 'similar', there were a few that felt radically different from the others. The E-II Mystique, Horizon, and Eclipse had more 'chunk' to their necks (deeper/thicker): I would call these a 'Standard/Regular U'; while the Horizon II and III's were not near as chunky and would be what I would consider a more proper 'Thin U'.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
ESP necks will be quite different from one another even if they are listed as the same profile. For example, I used to own an E-II Mystique and I've played an E-II Horizon, Horizon II, Horizon III, and Eclipse model--all having 'Thin U' neck shapes. While some felt 'similar', there were a few that felt radically different from the others. The E-II Mystique, Horizon, and Eclipse had more 'chunk' to their necks (deeper/thicker): I would call these a 'Standard/Regular U'; while the Horizon II and III's were not near as chunky and would be what I would consider a more proper 'Thin U'.

This. When I went to the shop in Tokyo and played 15+ Horizons (from Ltd, Eii, Original, Custom Shop, and some Edwards etc) there was quite a bit of variation. I spent maybe 2 hours playing a bunch of them back-to-back, so differences were more obvious than relying on memory.

But almost all of them on the spec list say "thin U", so I don't think that labelling is consistent at all.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yep, a couple minutes ago. Timing worked out as while the red isn't my favorite color, I've been looking at these recently. Got to confess the temptation to do something crazy with Mike Learn is strong.

Hell yea - my worry though is the carve top though. Everything I see Mike do is on flat bodies. I had the same sort of thought on refinishing my Horizon -- thought about crackles for a long time but in the end thought they look best on flat guitars and I'd get a metallic color to show the curves.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hell yea - my worry though is the carve top though. Everything I see Mike do is on flat bodies. I had the same sort of thought on refinishing my Horizon -- thought about crackles for a long time but in the end thought they look best on flat guitars and I'd get a metallic color to show the curves.

A flip-flop finish or neon color is always an option for me as well. That said if planned right I think something like combat jet graphic could be killer on the carve.

Right now I just want it to get here safe so I can play it and decide if I like the pickups :lol:

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
A flip-flop finish or neon color is always an option for me as well. That said if planned right I think something like combat jet graphic could be killer on the carve.

Right now I just want it to get here safe so I can play it and decide if I like the pickups :lol:

Yes on the fighter jet graphics.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lame. I don't get all the hate he gets on rig-talk and FB in general, but this...this is like one of the cardinal sins of the gear trading world...Doesn't exactly help his case here.

It's a bummer especially since if he had just said "I don't want to sell below X" it would have prevented the whole thing and I would have probably met the price since I was willing to go closer to what he had it on reverb for than what we agreed on for a price. Oh well.

')