ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

peterbee

Reaction score
NGD! I posted this one in the GAS thread back in 2020 but never thought I'd get it.

The Yen is really low right now so I ordered this from a shop in Japan and wasn't hit with import charges. Got about half off in the end pretty much!

The quality looks and feels about the same as the USA.. flawless.

20220702_111530.JPG

20220702_111623.JPG

20220702_111709c.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

BaliGod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Killer!
Is that an ESP Original series Eclipse?

Curious about this as well with the comment that it feels about the same as the US. The Standard Series would feel about the same as the US, but the Original Series or Custom Shop is generally superior to the US. The US just tends to more PRS like finishes.

peterbee

Reaction score
Killer!
Is that an ESP Original series Eclipse?

Thanks, yes it is!

Curious about this as well with the comment that it feels about the same as the US. The Standard Series would feel about the same as the US, but the Original Series or Custom Shop is generally superior to the US. The US just tends to more PRS like finishes.

I do need to point out the USA Eclipse is a NAMM 2020 one-off as well. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I have to assume the new kids in the shop didn't build those. It's also Korina/Ebony.

From the feel of the fret ends, all of the surfaces being perfect, the resonance of the body, ease of playing, I'd actually be really hard pressed to tell the difference blindfolded between the two. Of course the thickness and neck joint would give it away, but otherwise they're very similar. (edit: I can feel the SS frets on the USA, but I haven't yet polished the Original's)

I play though a Helix and they both sound really good, but of course one is passive and one is active too.

They both feel a few steps above my Horizon HRF Standard Series, which is probably the next nicest guitar I have besides these (other ones being a core PRS Starla X which comes close, USA Pro Strat, Japan Tele, LTD 1000 and 500).

It's possible someone of higher skill or experience would see some sort of night and day difference here, but I'm not sure what it would be!

Edit again: just went to play both back to back without plugging them in, and the Original might sound a little nicer and more balanced purely acoustically.

I don't think they have the same strings (new Ernie Ball 10s on the USA) but the Original does sound a little better and fuller to me in this case.

Last edited:

peterbee

Reaction score

Ok you got me questioning everything now :lol:

I went and played Discordance by Mamoru Goriku (holy shit this guy is awesome! Found him recently..) several times on each one just now over and over, back and forth between the two.

In terms of playing and fretting the notes, sliding around, vibratos, bends, they both feel absolutely without fault.

There is a long sustain in the song that is held for a few seconds and if I can get it right they both seem ring out as long as I need them.

As awesome as the 60mm body looks on the USA I like the thinner Original more. I'm a lot more comfortable sitting with it. It also feels a bit more of 'concentrated perfection' type of feeling lol..

On a song like this I definitely prefer the JH pickups to the Saturday Night Specials, so that might also be making me enjoy playing the song a bit more on the Original.

It makes it difficult to tell but in terms of the actual mechanics of playing them they both feel absolutely superb.

Last edit haha... I played more and more I feel like I have more 'control' over the Original. Maybe the setup is better though... it feels really solid and stable generally. Maybe a bit moreso than the USA.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think that was previously confirmed on some other forum/FB page he posted these on.

I thought I saw someone on some FB groups also bought one of the knock-off Vs, but I think it's the one in his signature referenced as an ESP CS, so it might have been a different guy. But potentially same supplier?

Have no opinion or answer, just wanna know what made you make that call?

Quite a few things actually, but the most obvious is that the pinstriping is thinner and not aligned correctly for an SV pattern. I know ESP will be accommodating with pinstriping since it's one of the things I asked about, but it seems weird to execute the same pattern in a different way. The other thing that's weird is the bridge pickup location, both in absolute terms and in relation to the bridge. ESP basically would never do that unless you specifically asked for it, and having it up there is obviously detrimental to a good biting bridge tone. The controls are in weird spots, and the controls come up on the pin-striping in ways that seem sloppy vs. how they align electronics on the real deal. The input jack is in a weird spot as well (who would ask specifically for it there where it's just going to get in the way? Only benefit is an easier route to controls).

On top of those really obvious things, you have to ask... who asks for a custom ESP with a medium colored rosewood board? :D I mean, I played one just today actually, but it's a pretty rare ask.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk but the SV on the right looks fake.
Yeh, even if supposedly a full custom alof about it comes off as sketchy....even the lower cutaway seems off, which is not something that I think anybody would purposefully ask to be modified on that body type.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I thought I saw someone on some FB groups also bought one of the knock-off Vs, but I think it's the one in his signature referenced as an ESP CS, so it might have been a different guy. But potentially same supplier?

Quite a few things actually, but the most obvious is that the pinstriping is thinner and not aligned correctly for an SV pattern. I know ESP will be accommodating with pinstriping since it's one of the things I asked about, but it seems weird to execute the same pattern in a different way. The other thing that's weird is the bridge pickup location, both in absolute terms and in relation to the bridge. ESP basically would never do that unless you specifically asked for it, and having it up there is obviously detrimental to a good biting bridge tone. The controls are in weird spots, and the controls come up on the pin-striping in ways that seem sloppy vs. how they align electronics on the real deal. The input jack is in a weird spot as well (who would ask specifically for it there where it's just going to get in the way? Only benefit is an easier route to controls).

On top of those really obvious things, you have to ask... who asks for a custom ESP with a medium colored rosewood board? :D I mean, I played one just today actually, but it's a pretty rare ask.
You'd think if they can't tell a fake trash ESP from a Custom Shop, they'd be impressed by Suhr.

BaliGod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not to be a jerk but the SV on the right looks fake.

I have always been open discussing this one and it has gone down several rabbit holes with Pushead initially pegging exactly what it is or what happened to it. Before I purchased. Pushead said looked legit, but then he later said legit parts, repaired/redone guitar. I then only paid like $450 ish dollars for it and was more curious about it than anything. The guitar plays amazing (my 4th or 5th best playing guitar) so I decided to spend time looking into.

Found the original owner here in Indo through the guy I bought it from. Well known guitar player from Java. This guitar has the old valid 90s serial number (SN for "Custom Shop made in Japan") on legit body that is more a less a preproduction MMV design about 3 years earlier (control layout, pickup placement and guitar jack all match). He told me the guitar originally had a 24 fret neck that was busted and for whatever reason, dude put 22 fret RR 1 scale on it and refinished it (which is super cheap here in Indo). The new 22 fret neck/bridge did not line up with pickups when reinstalled bridge after refinish.

Apparently, a lot of ESP/LTD parts ended up in an auction here in Indo to the public when something closed down a while back which is why there are a lot of EC 1000s and other guitars here made with factory parts, factory finishes, that look and play perfectly, have correct markings but have no serial numbers. The original owner told me that is where he grabbed the replacement neck along with a bunch of others ESP/LTD guitar parts in various stages of competition. The others he had did not have serial numbers, but they put the old serial number on the new neck headstock on this one.

I sent 3 rounds of photos to ESP over about 3 or 4 weeks as they kept asking for more of different locations such as truss rod cavity, under pickups, body cavity, neck joint and et. They have always gotten back to me in a day or 2 days at most on validation and never asked for more photos.

In fact, ESP was taking so long to get back to me I thought they spaced it. I resent photos for a 4th time and ESP told me they had them, but were still looking into it. In the end said records destroyed in fire so can not authenticate, but also did not deny it was original body, with a proper serial number, and a Frankenstein ESP/LTD neck. Said basically no opinion as cannot examine it in person and no one recalls it after he asked around.

I would never sell it and perhaps I should just call it a Frankenstein redo, but it honestly doesn't matter what I call it. It was a heck of a deal for $450 plus a set of BKP Aftermaths that I put in it after taking Seymore Duncans outs. I love the guitar. Plays amazingly well, stays in tune in any tuning and sound pretty killer with the Aftermaths.

narad

Reaction score
I have always been open discussing this one and it has gone down several rabbit holes with Pushead initially pegging exactly what it is or what happened to it. Before I purchased. Pushead said looked legit, but then he later said legit parts, repaired/redone guitar. I then only paid like $450 ish dollars for it and was more curious about it than anything. The guitar plays amazing (my 4th or 5th best playing guitar) so I decided to spend time looking into.

Found the original owner here in Indo through the guy I bought it from. Well known guitar player from Java. This guitar has the old valid 90s serial number (SN for "Custom Shop made in Japan") on legit body that is more a less a preproduction MMV design about 3 years earlier (control layout, pickup placement and guitar jack all match). He told me the guitar originally had a 24 fret neck that was busted and for whatever reason, dude put 22 fret RR 1 scale on it and refinished it (which is super cheap here in Indo). The new 22 fret neck/bridge did not line up with pickups when reinstalled bridge after refinish.

Apparently, a lot of ESP/LTD parts ended up in an auction here in Indo to the public when something closed down a while back which is why there are a lot of EC 1000s and other guitars here made with factory parts, factory finishes, that look and play perfectly, have correct markings but have no serial numbers. The original owner told me that is where he grabbed the replacement neck along with a bunch of others ESP/LTD guitar parts in various stages of competition. The others he had did not have serial numbers, but they put the old serial number on the new neck headstock on this one.

I sent 3 rounds of photos to ESP over about 3 or 4 weeks as they kept asking for more of different locations such as truss rod cavity, under pickups, body cavity, neck joint and et. They have always gotten back to me in a day or 2 days at most on validation and never asked for more photos.

In fact, ESP was taking so long to get back to me I thought they spaced it. I resent photos for a 4th time and ESP told me they had them, but were still looking into it. In the end said records destroyed in fire so can not authenticate, but also did not deny it was original body, with a proper serial number, and a Frankenstein ESP/LTD neck. Said basically no opinion as cannot examine it in person and no one recalls it after he asked around.

I would never sell it and perhaps I should just call it a Frankenstein redo, but it honestly doesn't matter what I call it. It was a heck of a deal for $450 plus a set of BKP Aftermaths that I put in it after taking Seymore Duncans outs. I love the guitar. Plays amazingly well, stays in tune in any tuning and sound pretty killer with the Aftermaths.

Yea, that's quite a story. I would just say you should trust your common sense -- there's a guitar that has basically no resemblance to an ESP custom shop SV that was sold to you for $450, and the only info to help substantiate it comes from a guy who says he swapped necks and refinished it, and puts serial numbers on guitars?

Kinda sucks on my side - I have a couple ESPs being worked on at BigBoss right now and was informed yesterday that they won't accommodate a logo color change when they do the refinish work on one of them. Because of all the fakes going around, going forward the logos must remain identical before/after refinish, which obviously makes some refinish colors pretty bad matches for the original logos. And I doubt it's going to help them on sorting through all the fakes anyway, but that's JP logic for you. There goes my kawasaki candy lime green horizon... unless I want to get it refinished without a logo and pay someone else to add it later, which is craziness.

BaliGod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea, that's quite a story. I would just say you should trust your common sense -- there's a guitar that has basically no resemblance to an ESP custom shop SV that was sold to you for $450, and the only info to help substantiate it comes from a guy who says he swapped necks and refinished it, and puts serial numbers on guitars?

Kinda sucks on my side - I have a couple ESPs being worked on at BigBoss right now and was informed yesterday that they won't accommodate a logo color change when they do the refinish work on one of them. Because of all the fakes going around, going forward the logos must remain identical before/after refinish, which obviously makes some refinish colors pretty bad matches for the original logos. And I doubt it's going to help them on sorting through all the fakes anyway, but that's JP logic for you. There goes my kawasaki candy lime green horizon... unless I want to get it refinished without a logo and pay someone else to add it later, which is craziness.

Haha, yeah so. Why do you care? No one is trying to sell it or asking you or anyone about it?

Not sure why you feel the need to judge someone you never met who, by all accounts is a stand up guy.

I am in Indo. $450 USD is a lot of money here . . . 2 months salary for most people here in Bali. I can easily get 4 knob Eclipses here for around $600, E-IIs for $900 to $1,000 and EC-1000s for $250.

I purchased it because it was cheap, interesting and I was looking for a RR style. Why not for $450, especially if it plays incredible. I believe the guy. He had no reason to lie to me.

narad

Reaction score
Haha, yeah so. Why do you care? No one is trying to sell it or asking you or anyone about it?

Not sure why you feel the need to judge someone you never met who, by all accounts is a stand up guy.

I am in Indo. $450 USD is a lot of money here . . . 2 months salary for most people here in Bali. I can easily get 4 knob Eclipses here for around $600, E-IIs for $900 to $1,000 and EC-1000s for $250.

I purchased it because it was cheap, interesting and I was looking for a RR style. Why not for $450, especially if it plays incredible. I believe the guy. He had no reason to lie to me.

I'm not trying to judge you dude. It's just obviously a fake guitar...

I mean, I do judge people intentionally buying fakes and supporting that industry, but since you went into it unknowingly, I'm not.

BaliGod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not trying to judge you dude. It's just obviously a fake guitar...

I mean, I do judge people intentionally buying fakes and supporting that industry, but since you went into it unknowingly, I'm not.

No, its obviously a guitar that once upon a time had a different 24 fret neck that broke and was replaced with a different size neck that did not fit with the pickup layout as the bridge had to be moved further back after the refinish. It is set neck and the body and neck was refinished.

It had some markings/writing under one of the pickups that looked old, legit and like the current serial number that was put on the replacement neck. The pots, wiring, toggle, pickups, hardware and tuners seemed proper for a late 90s ESP. Who would take time to make a really nice quality fake, but route the pickup that far off? The neck replacement makes sense.

You can judge me, but I was referring to your comments about what seems to be a stand up guy that just replaced a neck on a guitar after he busted it. He was not looking to rip anyone off or profit over off anything, just fix a guitar.

Last edited:

narad

Reaction score
No, its obviously a guitar that once upon a time had a different 24 fret neck that broke and was replaced with a different size neck that did not fit with the pickup layout as the bridge had to be moved further back after the refinish. It is set neck and the body and neck was refinished.

It had some markings/writing under one of the pickups that looked old, legit and like the current serial number that was put on the replacement neck. Who would take time to make a really nice quality fake, but route the pickup that far off? The neck replacement makes sense.

You can judge me, but I was referring to your comments about what seems to be a stand up guy that just replaced a neck on a guitar after he busted it. He was not looking to rip anyone off or profit over off anything, just fix a guitar.

Probably the same guy who took the time to paint the whole guitar but not get the pinstripes remotely correct. I mean dude, we're looking at this thing from a million miles away and it looks bad. I can't imagine what close-ups of parts would look like.

And that serial number is meaningless - anyone can pull up a serial number from 96. What's more worrying is you're referring to that both as providence, when you know it's just some number the guy painted himself on your neck and could have gotten anywhere, and as some proof of it being custom shop. What's the serial number? What tells you it's custom shop?

And the guy just has some extra custom shop necks around? I mean, damn, I've got some bridges to sell you. They're custom shop. Or at least they were before we repainted them.

BaliGod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably the same guy who took the time to paint the whole guitar but not get the pinstripes remotely correct. I mean dude, we're looking at this thing from a million miles away and it looks bad. I can't imagine what close-ups of parts would look like.

And that serial number is meaningless - anyone can pull up a serial number from 96. What's more worrying is you're referring to that both as providence, when you know it's just some number the guy painted himself on your neck and could have gotten anywhere, and as some proof of it being custom shop. What's the serial number? What tells you it's custom shop?

And the guy just has some extra custom shop necks around? I mean, damn, I've got some bridges to sell you. They're custom shop. Or at least they were before we repainted them.

Lol dude, why you so obsolesced with my arse (up my arse in one thread then stalked me over to here again twisting and mispresenting shyte). I am great, but not that interesting.

RE: Pin Stripes.

I think the pin stripes are more similar to early Jackson RR style than Laiho/SV stripes that came in the 2000s. The serial number is a 1998 which is many years before what you call the proper ESP pin stripes came out.

RE: Necks

I think it is an LTD neck. Never said it was a custom shop neck. You are a pretty dishonest dude. Anyway, the large auction off of a bunch of ESP/LTD parts and unfinished guitars did happen here in Indo when a business shut down. I have since met several guys that purchased at that auction.

RE: Real or fake.

Don't care. It is fun to play and sounds killer. I am not looking to ever sell it. It is literally in my top 5 guitars and plays better than my Custom Shop Gibson, Custom Shop Fender and is better than my E-II.

Last edited:

narad

Reaction score
Lol dude, why you so obsolesced with my arse (up my arse in one thread then stalked me over to here again twisting and mispresenting shyte). I am great, but not that interesting.

It's not complicated. You were talking about you have all this experience with high-end guitars, then I come over here to check them out and then one isn't even legit. Kinda funny really. I mean, at best that's an LTD neck, and sure, LTDs can be relatively nice guitars, but ...yea.

Looking into it more though, looks like a bunch of other weirdo "ESP" Vs coming out of Indonesia. Same input jack in the wrong spot, that was never even done for the LTD runs IIRC? Maybe that auction did happen, but from the looks of it maybe people are grinding them up into these things:

B_JFQDgUoAAyZpL

But whatever. It's an ESP thread. If there's poseur ESPs I figure it makes sense to point them out.

Latest posts

')