ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Some of these lawsuit headstock guitars don't even look that old unless they're just well taken care of. I know the dead horse has been beaten enough, but I'd be that much more apt to getting a custom if that were an option.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
The Anchang RS was delivered. Had someone take a hard look and share some quick phone snaps, and all indications are showing legit ESP. The dude owns several OG and a couple USA models, as well as two Edwards versions of different ESP's, and he's damn sure it's as advertised. Phew! Now, I gotta have it sent off to RIP Custom Guitars for an insane crackle job. Hopefully with their pending shop move things will start popping out of there quicker, especially refinishes. If anyone has seen the most recent offerings, it'll be worth the wait.

So NOW the first world problem manifests in an attempt to see if the USA shop will flip a headstock on a V-II (the alien slime mockup is tantalizing), or going full custom, which since landing the RS with a V headstock, has me leaning to a V-II with a V headstock. I do love the standard V headstock reversed. I'm all about acquiring good condition used instruments and giving new life with a refinish, but a full-on custom order has been in the GAS tank for a while. Just wondering how much higher than a full custom shop order the cost would be. Mockup for fun:
ESP VII Alien Blood Splatter.JPG

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The Anchang RS was delivered. Had someone take a hard look and share some quick phone snaps, and all indications are showing legit ESP. The dude owns several OG and a couple USA models, as well as two Edwards versions of different ESP's, and he's damn sure it's as advertised. Phew! Now, I gotta have it sent off to RIP Custom Guitars for an insane crackle job. Hopefully with their pending shop move things will start popping out of there quicker, especially refinishes. If anyone has seen the most recent offerings, it'll be worth the wait.

So NOW the first world problem manifests in an attempt to see if the USA shop will flip a headstock on a V-II (the alien slime mockup is tantalizing), or going full custom, which since landing the RS with a V headstock, has me leaning to a V-II with a V headstock. I do love the standard V headstock reversed. I'm all about acquiring good condition used instruments and giving new life with a refinish, but a full-on custom order has been in the GAS tank for a while. Just wondering how much higher than a full custom shop order the cost would be. Mockup for fun:
View attachment 121495

I mean I'm sure you know, but just voicing my opinion -- it seems like all RIP crackles are pretty bad?

I caught his livestream the other night, most of the time he has this lynch style with an amazing purple/blue flip-flop type paint job, but one that doesn't seem to have any of the "in between deadness" that I'm used to with the usual flip-flop paints. Just killer. And that's his standard series thing. Then he pulls out the custom shop crackle, and it's got squares like 1 inch wide. It's not at all like 80s crackle. Is he doing it intentionally? I love crackle, but I'd be worried about him or Kiesel doing them. Ormsby and Aristides are nailing them though.

yan12

Reaction score
I think ESP USA can reverse a headstock no problem. At the price level of ESP USA right now, I would spend more for Japan custom shop if you want ESP and are starting from scratch. Worth the wait for sure.

I will fall into a small camp here, and I am not trying to start a war. ESP custom shop Japan is superior to ESP USA in every single way. I am blessed to have owned many upper tier guitars. I still have plenty, but concerning recent builds, say 2016-2022, from ESP, the Japanese counterpart was better. This is not taking into account price, just the feel and build and inspiration the guitar provides.

I agree the RIP crackle is not 80's style. The hallmark of 80's crackle for me are thin, lightning style lines. When the secondary color lines are thicker, creating blotches and squares, I think modern crackle. I love both, so I don't think RIP crackles are bad at all but it comes down to what you like.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I have a suspicion that ESP USA will *not* reverse a headstock for you. I wish they would, but I have a feeling their stance on being 'not a custom shop' extends to simple requests like that.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a nagging thought that this has been asked before and they shot it down.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
ESP USA won't even leave inlays undone, as in no inlays = less work... which is good for my wallet.

narad

Reaction score
ESP USA won't even leave inlays undone, as in no inlays = less work... which is good for my wallet.

Basically ESP JP as well. "Hey, I like that original series. Can you make it without inlays?" "Sure, +$2500." I mean, I get it's procedure and these small deviations can be a pain to track, but you'd think they could be a tiny bit accommodating for a 450,000Y sale.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I had a suspicion ESP USA would be difficult; I'm not surprised by that since they are streamlining a process, but it's a totally mistake not to do a simple reverse headstock on one model that YOU DO ON ANOTHER MODEL FROM THE SAME SHOP, SAME HEADSTOCK.

That's a bad "systems and process" choice by them, unless they are saying the intellectual design property that is one guitar has to be a certain way. But, I'm going to have someone with ordering credibility ask just to see. Custom shop has been the likely way to go.

Charging a premium to remove inlays seems wildly unnecessary. These are the quirks that make people go with small luthiers, and then we've seen how that works out with all these disappearing acts and stealing deposits without delivering, and I end up saying what I did in another thread "it's almost like you have to build your own guitar yourself to get what you want".

RIP crackles are done that way by choice. Rob likes the big bold look that shows off the undercoat, and it's been a customer ask. He's done the tighter patterns too. I like both but blended, depending on the color I want to reveal from underneath. The variance of crackle has more to do with the amount of crackle spray is added before it's starts to reveal the effect. I actually tried doing it myself on some wood boards when I was experimenting with stains for a couple of project guitars. I do prefer more of the 80s tight crackle than the modern. There are two other shops I've looked at for the job in case I run into an issue. But I think RIP is g2g. Por ejemplo:
RIP Green Crackle.JPG
RIP Pink Crackle.JPG

RIP SST B&W.JPG

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I have some ESP USA guitars that I like a lot, but it's almost like they make nice guitars by accident. I had one with a bum neck (that I returned). I looked into buying another but the screw for the Floyd retainer bar was in the string path, so the string had to bend around it (not a functional problem, but a deal breaker IMHO on a guitar this expensive). The "mahogany" used doesn't look like Honduran to me, but I'll admit I'm not an expert. Does that really matter? No, unless the thing is $4k+. And they have to weight relieve the Eclipses? Again: for a $4k+ guitar, you can't select a lighter piece of wood to start from?

Japanese ESP are not perfect either. I've had a few with that needed some mild fret work, but none had issues like what bothers me about some of the USA guitars.

Also, gratuitous picture of the USAs

72-E4-A368-4472-438-F-AC3-A-41976008-CC6-A.jpg

Last edited:

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I have some ESP USA guitars that I like a lot, but it's almost like they make nice guitars by accident. I had one with a bum neck (that I returned). I looked into buying another but the screw for the Floyd retainer bar was in the string path, so the string had to bend around it (not a functional problem, but a deal breaker IMHO on a guitar this expensive). The "mahogany" used doesn't look like Honduran to me, but I'll admit I'm not an expert. Does that really matter? No, unless the thing is $4k+. And they have to weight relieve the Eclipses? Again: for a $4k+ guitar, you can't select a lighter piece of wood to start from?

Japanese ESP are not perfect either. I've had a few with that needed some mild fret work, but none had issues like what bothers me about some of the USA guitars.

All of my Japanese ESP (I have 4) are flawless, fretwork being one of the highlights.

cardinal

Reaction score
All of my Japanese ESP (I have 4) are flawless, fretwork being one of the highlights.
I've had I think six Japanese ESPs, including two Standard series (and not including three E-IIs). I think one of the SS and two of the "real" ESPs needed a touch of fretwork. As did one of the E-IIs. At least for purposes of the action I wanted at the time (which admitted is pretty low).

For the USA guitars, it wouldn't surprise me if they were Plek'd. The fretwork on all the ones I've played was very very good.

Last edited:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Do the USA M-IIs come with mother-of-pearl inlays? Im in the market for a USA Custom M-II, but I also feel like the Japanese ESP M-II might be better. But I don't know how to order from ESP Japan. I hear those are made to order, as well.

cardinal

Reaction score
Do the USA M-IIs come with mother-of-pearl inlays? Im in the market for a USA Custom M-II, but I also feel like the Japanese ESP M-II might be better. But I don't know how to order from ESP Japan. I hear those are made to order, as well.
So the USA MII DX has MOP inlay. The USA MII (not DX; the red one) has what looks like abalone dots.

I think it's hard to say which will be "better." That red MII is maybe my best playing and sounding guitar. I just think it looks so dorky. The DX in that picture is awesome but I just don't love it the way I do my OS MII DX. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and the action can go stupid low and it sounds great. Just a personal thing.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
So the USA MII DX has MOP inlay. The USA MII (not DX; the red one) has what looks like abalone dots.

I think it's hard to say which will be "better." That red MII is maybe my best playing and sounding guitar. I just think it looks so dorky. The DX in that picture is awesome but I just don't love it the way I do my OS MII DX. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and the action can go stupid low and it sounds great. Just a personal thing.

Cool! That's the thing. The US MII has pearly inlays. The Japanese ESP Standard MII has pearloid ones. They are roughly around the same price at 4K USD. But the Japanese ESPs are built better and retain their value longer?

cardinal

Reaction score
Cool! That's the thing. The US MII has pearly inlays. The Japanese ESP Standard MII has pearloid ones. They are roughly around the same price at 4K USD. But the Japanese ESPs are built better and retain their value longer?
I dunno if built better. The ones I have do feel different. I'm a bit wary of the USA builds because some seem to have some wonky issues that shouldn't happen, but as long as you can scope it out first, it should be good.

The fretwork on the USAs is as good as it gets. I can get them below 1mm above the last fret and no issues at all. The OS that I have can't do that.

narad

Reaction score
View attachment 121738

Just heard back from RIP, he’s going to repair the headstock on this one for me.
As we both know, I love that finish and there's a lot to say for keeping it that color. On the other hand, Rob has some amazing colors I would want to refinish one of my horizons in if I was stateside. His chameleon colors are more focused and don't have the kind of dead in between colors that ESPs do. The orangey star destroyer and the purple blue lynch one come to mind

')