Flame maple, Quilted Maple, or something else

• Flame Maple

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Quilted Maple

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
quilt could be awesome, provided the figuring is good enough. Flamed maple is easier to get in bigger pieces so I think you'd have better odds of getting a nicely figured top that way.
idk I'm just paranoid when I don't get to personally pick my woods for a build

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
quilt could be awesome, provided the figuring is good enough. Flamed maple is easier to get in bigger pieces so I think you'd have better odds of getting a nicely figured top that way.
idk I'm just paranoid when I don't get to personally pick my woods for a build

Very fair point. I wish that were the case, but I doubt it.

mbardu

Reaction score
I slightly prefer flamed maple for warm colors such as here, as well as for sharp designs (vs quilted on cool blue greens and smoother lines), but that's really nitpicking.
Either would be awesome.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It's a toss up for me, but a slight edge to the quilted, as that looks fancier.

It's probably a "no," but could you chevron the flamed one so the angle follows the V? I've never seen that done, but I wonder if it would be cool. Or maybe just "trying too hard" lol.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I actually like the sound of that but it's not an option ESP had on their configurator unfortunately. Idk how close these guitars are to custom shop, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. If it were I'd personally prefer a non painted neck as well but I think if I just went with a satin finish it'd be just as nice as far as feel goes.

If anyone is curious, here are some actual pictures of one of these from ESPs Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB5ydPMF7tn/?igshid=40cpzlwukzrh

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I actually like the sound of that but it's not an option ESP had on their configurator unfortunately. Idk how close these guitars are to custom shop, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. If it were I'd personally prefer a non painted neck as well but I think if I just went with a satin finish it'd be just as nice as far as feel goes.

If anyone is curious, here are some actual pictures of one of these from ESPs Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB5ydPMF7tn/?igshid=40cpzlwukzrh
Wow, those are really nice in person!

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Man, I wish they did the Arrow instead of the V-II for the USA line. The V-II looks incredible, no doubt, but the Arrow's got dem curves.

No matter how you slice it, I think you'll like it regardless - ESP USA is pretty damn consistent. Having said that - quilt, for sure.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
For some reason I'm on the other side of the fence about the arrows. I like them but I like the classic rhoads style shape more. If they had it in the RV shape with the shorter lower horn and the tummy cut on the back I'd have probably threw my money at this the moment I saw it. Not that I probably won't end up doing that soon, but still lol. I just bought a Boden NT earlier this year so my woman might kill me if I get another guitar so soon :lol: Still, this will probably be a Christmas present for myself later this year... or maybe I'll just take the plunge and get a custom shop RV like I just mentioned with the same specs. Not sure how much it would run, but ESP has gotten crazy expensive lately it seems.

Last edited:

jaxadam

Reaction score
The more I look at this the more I feel like I maybe need to get one. Of all of the shapes, I don’t have a V, and it’s always been one of my favorites.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
The more I look at this the more I feel like I maybe need to get one. Of all of the shapes, I don’t have a V, and it’s always been one of my favorites.

I started with Vs, rotated through a lot of other stuff, and just always come back to them. I feel they're a nice middle ground between the wild shapes and classic shapes. They manage to look both badass and classic at the same time to my eyes, especially the Jackson and ESP ones. I already own 3 and despite having more expensive guitars, they're still my favorite sound, comfort, and playability wise. Most people complain about playing with a V sitting down because you have to keep them upright but I'm so used to that now that it feels weird to have the neck of my guitar parallel with the floor.

I can't recommend them enough, but a V always catches my eye so I'm a little biased lol.

Moltar

Reaction score
I am leaning to the flame maple top personally. Seems to work better with the colours and the shape.