Evan Rubinson running Dean Guitars into the ground

• Thread starter ClownShoes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

So KDH has been keeping up with the legal drama regarding the family, and if what's said is true (this is from Evan's side, keep that in mind), then yeah the company is on life support at the moment due to family drama on top of the blows they've gotten the passed few years.

Seems like the company is at a loss at this rate. They really need new ownership.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So spending the entire artist budget to sign Kerry King, and putting Kahlers on everything DIDNT save the company?

Who oh WHO could have seen this coming?
I REALLY do think the Kerry King model could have been a hit if they didnt make it look like a fucking earwig. Shoulda just went for the Speed V/KKV look his Dean and ESPs had, and not fucking glue hooks onto it lmao.

Rosal76

Reaction score
I REALLY do think the Kerry King model could have been a hit if they didnt make it look like a fucking earwig. Shoulda just went for the Speed V/KKV look his Dean and ESPs had, and not fucking glue hooks onto it lmao.

I agree. If they would have made Kerry's signature based on Karl Sanders' V with the reverse pointed headstock, I think a lot people would have liked it more.

This body shape.

L72941000001000-00-500x500.jpg

With this headstock and reversed.

Dean-V-Dave-Mustaine-Headstock-e1431244872123.jpg

Reaction score

So KDH has been keeping up with the legal drama regarding the family, and if what's said is true (this is from Evan's side, keep that in mind), then yeah the company is on life support at the moment due to family drama on top of the blows they've gotten the passed few years.

Seems like the company is at a loss at this rate. They really need new ownership.

Isn't that the same guy who's always posting negative stuff, clickbait, doom and gloom stuff?

According to those who work within the company they're fine and Dean is planning a 2024 revamp. Posts have been made in the Dean FB group.

Who knows for sure. I guess time will tell. They could very well go dormant for a bit. It's happened before but they always make it back.

Mathemagician

Reaction score

But then how would people know how mEtAl Kerry is?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Isn't that the same guy who's always posting negative stuff, clickbait, doom and gloom stuff?

According to those who work within the company they're fine and Dean is planning a 2024 revamp. Posts have been made in the Dean FB group.

Who knows for sure. I guess time will tell. They could very well go dormant for a bit. It's happened before but they always make it back.

That's the guitar youtuber B-team. KDH is the real deal drama queen nerd.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I am curious what they are going to do with Schenker and Peterson, because they both had signature models that Dean can longer legally make. Maybe, Peterson goes with something different, but there is no way Schenker is going to play anything other than a V for more than a hot minute or a photo shoot.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I am curious what they are going to do with Schenker and Peterson, because they both had signature models that Dean can longer legally make. Maybe, Peterson goes with something different, but there is no way Schenker is going to play anything other than a V for more than a hot minute or a photo shoot.
Michael could have gone back to Gibson, maybe even had help from his brother. But I think he thoroughly burned those bridges.
Regarding Peterson, he was a well-known Caddy user before he went full-time with the V. Also used the ML a bit. Also has a history of using Gibsons so he could use the singlecut shape. Or just switch to using the pointy V and Zero shapes.
I don't think Michael would do that, though lol. I think he's pretty fucked.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Probably just do what everyone else does and just slightly modify the shapes to not run afoul. The most common options are shortening one of the points of the V or adding a bevel to the edge.

Reaction score
Probably just do what everyone else does and just slightly modify the shapes to not run afoul. The most common options are shortening one of the points of the V or adding a bevel to the edge.
This. I'd like to think Dean had the sense to have a couple new shapes on hand in case this happened..it's not like they didn't have years to figure it out and plan. I'm waiting tod see if they release new V and Z designs.

Peterson will probably go back to Caddys. Dean should attempt pushing that shape more.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This. I'd like to think Dean had the sense to have a couple new shapes on hand in case this happened..it's not like they didn't have years to figure it out and plan. I'm waiting tod see if they release new V and Z designs.

Peterson will probably go back to Caddys. Dean should attempt pushing that shape more.

I mean, it's not rocket science. It's not even something they haven't done before with the Hardtail (CU24), Soltero (Les Paul), Avalanche (Strat), etc.

They'll just pull what ESP did when they got slapped for the Eclipse, a slight reshape and hardware shuffle. No biggie.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I mean, it's not rocket science. It's not even something they haven't done before with the Hardtail (CU24), Soltero (Les Paul), Avalanche (Strat), etc.

They'll just pull what ESP did when they got slapped for the Eclipse, a slight reshape and hardware shuffle. No biggie.
The rocket science part is convincing Michael Schenker to play a modded V.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Dude is pushing 80. He probably won't be here anymore by the time the new shape is settled on, prototyped, and shipped.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
So how are the actual USA Dean guitars? Quality still ok? Comparable to what? Gibson USA? Gibson Custom? ESP OS?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I mean, he doesn't have to destroy any of his existing guitars, Dean just can't market them for sale. So they'll probably make a slightly modified production model and have Schenker take some promo pics with them, maybe use it for one song live, and he'll just play what he's always played 99% of the time.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So how are the actual USA Dean guitars? Quality still ok? Comparable to what? Gibson USA? Gibson Custom? ESP OS?

Really good actually. It's hard comparing such different guitars, they certainly have a Gibson vibe, but the fine details are better, on average, I feel.

Fretwork is great, weights are usually fairly balanced, finish work is solid, and electronics are expertly assembled.

They just tend to be expensive, and can be pretty campy/lame looking, which is subjective.

I think most folks pass on them because of the image and focus on import stuff the last couple decades.

Back in the 80's and 90's they had a much better, more high end, image.

')