Eve: A Guitar 3 Years in the Making (kind of...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Levi79

Reaction score
Spent a good amount of time looking at the pictures but just skimmed the text. I think you should still use the flame top and just do the blackburst edge thing like this:
dc727-blackstainburstquilt-90817.jpg

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
Made a mockup with CorelDRAW for the recessed input jack, the brown/purple is the wood and the black is the jack.

InputJackMockup.jg

Will this work if I just make the hole big enough to tighten the nut of the input jack onto? Or at most just put a washer in front of it or something?

Also does anyone have an opinion about the mahogany? Should I show it evenly along all the sides or leave it as is?

Just a suggestion, get what they use on the Japanese Ibanez, something like
OJ-2.jpg

It is longer and it wont be as much of a bitch to get the nut on it

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Just read the last few posts. Great save with the carve.

Thanks man, appreciate it :wavey:.

Spent a good amount of time looking at the pictures but just skimmed the text. I think you should still use the flame top and just do the blackburst edge thing like this:
dc727-blackstainburstquilt-90817.jpg

That's still a possibility, we'll see how it all goes when I get my dyes. I'm still not even decided on a colour yet so yeah. If I do a blackburst then I will carve an even amount of mahogany just so that the edges are all an even thickness.

Just a suggestion, get what they use on the Japanese Ibanez, something like

It is longer and it wont be as much of a bitch to get the nut on it

Yeah I was thinking of getting one of those to make it easier. Any good brand suggestion or should I just look up Ibanez input jacks?
edit: Just checked ebay, will definitely get one of these and it should make it easier. Thanks for the help man.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Update. Did the stomach contour:
IMG_0900.jpg

Also added a bit of mahogany to the control cavity to fit the magnets:

IMG_0902.jpg

Rough cut of the heel contouring.

IMG_0904.jpg

After some sanding:

IMG_0906.jpg

After more sanding:

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

The whole back:

IMG_0916.jpg

And a couple of outdoor shots since it was sunny:

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

VERY happy with how the stomach and heel contours turned out. They both feel incredibly comfortable so I'm quite excited. Ordered a switchcraft barrel jack and hopefully that will come in sooner than later.

Another little question about the magnets for the control cavities: they won't mess with the sound or anything will they? Because these magnets are hella strong. :ugh:

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
IIRC a stationary magnet won't cause problems for the stuff in the control cavity, as it's moving magnets that will induce a current in a wire. As the magnet isn't moving relative to anything in the cavity, it shouldn't be an issue.

As for the pickups, probably would be right, as they're located out of the plane of the pickup poles. Best way to check would to be to sitck them in a guitar you already have and see what they do to it's sound.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks nice! I especially like the idea with the mahogany on the top. Sweet.
Thank you! I was actually really worried how it would look with mahogany showing on the top but I didn't have much of a choice in the matter and I think it actually looks pretty good with it.:agreed:

IIRC a stationary magnet won't cause problems for the stuff in the control cavity, as it's moving magnets that will induce a current in a wire. As the magnet isn't moving relative to anything in the cavity, it shouldn't be an issue.

As for the pickups, probably would be right, as they're located out of the plane of the pickup poles. Best way to check would to be to sitck them in a guitar you already have and see what they do to it's sound.
Yeah I was thinking about that too, it should be fine though. The magnets only seem to have an effect if there are 2 magnets on either side of the body (the little buggers are really strong) but it's fine if it's just a magnet and another piece of metal. If this works out fine then I will most likely use magnets in future builds as I think it makes it look a bit more clean.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
And another small update. Slowly but surely I am getting closer and closer.

Made the slots for the magnets:

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Like a glove.

Also drilled for wires, might have to make them a bit bigger though.

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Also made the recessed input jack. I followed the tutorial from Project guitar and it worked out pretty well until I drilled using the 1/2" bit, but I fixed it up using a dremel bit in my drill. Unfortunately there was a few booboos on the outside that I tried to fix up a bit using wood glue and mahogany dust.

IMG_1048.jpg

The jack is on the bottom of the guitar, basically where it normally is on a super strat shape. I had too much wood to put it in the same position as a JEM.

And finally, drilled for the neck screws:

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

I may drill out for a fifth one to add some stability. Still gotta make the recesses for the ferrules and epoxy in the magnets, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Bah, I wanted this to be my 666th post! :mad:
Oh well :metal:.

Anyway, the tiniest bit of progress (and a small step back).

Drilled for a 5th neck screw and managed to get one ferrule recess done today before duty called:

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

LikeaGlove.png

And thank you CD, I am quite happy with how the carves have come out now that I came to terms with it. Here is a shot of the stomach contour to give you an idea of how hella comfy it feels just from holding it against my chest:

IMG_1066.jpg

And now bad news, earlier my dad accidentally knocked over my neck and there are about 4 little dents in it now. In hindsight I should definitely not have had it sitting in front of a tool drawer. But that's neither here nor there. I'm gonna have to sand off the satin clear from the back of the neck and probably fill the dents with some maple dust that I will make from doing a bit of light sanding. This isn't a huge deal as I wanted to sand the clear from the back anyway and redo it, but the dents do suck.

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

Back to good news! Got a package from LMII: my dyes came in.

IMG_1074.jpg

Got black, blue, red, and yellow. Also ordered some rosewood knobs for the GSR205FM bass I bought a couple months back.

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

They match the fretboard pretty well, a little bit brighter but definitely better than the stock knobs:

IMG_1082.jpg

Bleh.

And last but not least, I made a couple logo ideas in Corel:

Logos.jpg

No, I'm not being cheesey, my last name is actually Muzyka.

That's all for tonight, will finish those ferrule recesses tomorrow.

quaned

Reaction score
Logos.jpg

No, I'm not being cheesey, my last name is actually Muzyka.

That's all for tonight, will finish those ferrule recesses tomorrow.

Give me an endorsement :lol:

But seriously, keep up the nice work! This is gonna turn out to be a bitchin' shred axe!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Give me an endorsement :lol:

But seriously, keep up the nice work! This is gonna turn out to be a bitchin' shred axe!
Give me several years to get better at these and we'll talk endorsements :lol:. Thanks though man! This is gonna be my first guitar with active pickups (actually my first guitar that costs more than 400$CAN), so I'm pretty excited for this. Only thing I'm worried about is the middle pickup getting in the way of my pick, but if anything I will just lower the little bastard to keep him outta the way.

flo

Reaction score
In the words of my guitar tech: "with a name like that how can you NOT play?!"

Oh well :lol:

I guess I'd be an acceptable player myself if I spent less time discussing, building, writing about and staring at guitars...

I'm really looking forward to see it with the dye on! Also, tasty knobs sir!
But the best advice I can give you is to take it really slow in the end, I know it's tempting to say at one point "enough, now I want to hear what she sounds like!" Take your time with the finish and the setup, you'll be so much happier with it :)

Don't worry too much about the dents, quite often it's only the lacquer and you can pretty much just sand them off.

I'm seriously planning to make a scratchy neck on the guitar I'm building, on porpuse :lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Got my Switchcraft barrel jack today:
IMG_1103.jpg

Quick question though: what exactly is this part for:

IMG_1105.jpg

and is it completely necessary? :scratch:

The reason I ask this is because the jack extends a fair bit into the control cavity and gets in the way of where I wanted to put my volume pot (thank god I didn't drill for that yet :ugh:).

')