Eve: A Guitar 3 Years in the Making (kind of...)

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't think so, it's really hard to see in that blurry pick but there are the two stereo tabs to the upper left in that picture.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the giant end part. If its like the other jacks of the same nature I've seen The shortest is the hot, the gigantic unnecessary part is for the ground, and the middle length one is for the battery, if you've got one.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the giant end part. If its like the other jacks of the same nature I've seen The shortest is the hot, the gigantic unnecessary part is for the ground, and the middle length one is for the battery, if you've got one.

Ah makes sense. Could I maybe get rid of the enormous ground and simply solder the ground wire to the outside of the jack where there is threading? Or even just solder it to a small portion of that ground and cut off the excess? I don't think that would damage it or anything but I just want to make sure as I've never worked with these (or any other guitar electronics) before.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I don't see a reason as to why you couldn't just cut some off, maybe drill a hole in it and lop off the rest. It won't hurt it if you cut some off, but you certainly won't be able to return it haha. I need to get a new barrel jack one of these days my 1989 one isn't holding the cord in like it used to :lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Still alive over here. I took what little finish there was off from the neck and filled the dents. Doesn't look too bad. I also glued a thick piece of the flame maple onto the headstock, unfortunately I didn't plane the original headstock perfectly level I guess, but hopefully nothing a glue syringe won't fix.
As a result of this, though, I visited my local Parker dealer and will be ordering my very own Scherzo-style-router-jig-of-doom. Well not quite as big but it'll be an improvement. The guy at the store was awesome enough to give me a Parker catalogue for free so I was drawing up my plan for the jig earlier, figuring out what I'll need. Hopefully I'll go back tomorrow to order it so I can get to finishing this. Pics will come when I get the jig and fix up the headstock.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Small, rather disappointing update. I drilled out for the controls (just a volume knob and the Free-Way switch) and did the recess on the front. Disappointing part is that my spade bit was crap and just kind of tore up the front, so I had to use some glue and saw dust. If it ends up looking like crap with the dye (hopefully the knob and such will cover it up) then I will just paint the insides of the recesses black or something.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

I wish I had the patience to get a new spade bit and round off the edges (I forgot who it was, but someone on this forum did it and it was a damn good idea).

Gotta either call or go back to that Parker supplier Monday and finalize my order so I can get my router jig and finish this up. It's getting cold and working outside isn't much of an option anymore.

At least I have my methanol on its way so I can start testing dyes soon!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Well the control recesses on the front kinda pissed me off so they will most definitely be solid black as I had to use filler on them, hopefully this will be fine.

Got my shellac and methanol yesterday so today I am mixing up the dyes and letting them settle, I've also started to sand the body to be ready for dyes and oil and such.

Hopefully tomorrow or some other day this week (depending on if the professors at my school go on strike or not on Wednesday :noplease:) I will begin testing dyes on scrap and see where this goes. I'm getting there!

Also, haven't heard back from the Parker supplier in my town yet, gotta call them again to see what the deal with my quote is, if worst comes to worst I will have to (very carefully this time) plane down the headstock plate with my crappier router jig.

Just wanted to give a quick update since I haven't had one in a while.

Also, spoilers:
IMG_1194.jpg

Wonder what these are gonna be for :scratch:
rage_faces_by_shishywonka-d3h8gcz.png

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
That's basically how I see it, especially since the volume pot is getting a speed knob. I was a bit worried with the selector switch but it should be fine. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, school did not go on strike so I didn't get to have a break, but I have some time now in between studying and assignments so I started prepping some scrap maple I had to test out some dye colours and methods. I'm gonna make the top just straight green dyed (the mahogany will be natural of course), with black backing obviously. How much black I leave will depend on which one I like best.

So far I sanded some of the scrap pieces to 150 and the rest to 220 grit, I'm not gonna go past 220 since I talked to my good friend who is a cabinet making apprentice and he said that the wood won't absorb the finish as well if I sand it too high, and there isn't even that much of a point in going past 220 since the finish will basically level itself out after a few layers anyway.

I've decided that I'm going to french polish the top of the guitar with shellac, and the sides, back, and back of the neck I will leave natural and tung oil.

ON TO PICTURES!

These first 2 kinda suck since I used the flash from my phone. All of these pieces have mineral spirits on them.

IMG_1202.jpg

This piece has some wood filler on it so I can see how the dye reacts to it.

IMG_1203.jpg

And now here are the money shots in natural light. This piece is sanded to 150.

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

These are just off cuts from the edges of the original maple board so the figuring isn't too impressive. But it still looks damn good if I do say so myself.

And just for kicks, a bit of mineral spirits on the guitar itself, which as it stands is only sanded to about 100 grit.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

I rubbed the scrap pieces with a damp cloth to raise the grain and am just waiting for that to dry before I do a bit of final sanding and then apply the black dye.

Should have an update on that a bit later. :wavey:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of pics now. Put the black dye on after sanding each piece of scrap down to its respective grit and buffing with 0000 steel wool.

IMG_1210.jpg

150 grit:

IMG_1214.jpg

I'm already liking this.

220 grit:

IMG_1216.jpg

This dye dried much faster than I thought it would! So shortly after, I sanded the pieces down again to leave a certain amount of black on then buffed with steel wool again before I began dying.

Here's some green.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

And after a bit of mineral spirits after it dried:

IMG_1239.jpg

Here are the green pieces together. The top one has mineral spirits on it and is the one I took pictures of above. For that piece, I left the black on in a gradient, where the one side has no black taken off, and the other has no black put on, with the middle sanded to different levels of black as best I could.

IMG_1240.jpg

The middle piece is with a fair bit of black left and the bottom is with as much of it removed as I felt like doing at the moment, which doesn't seem to be much now that I look at it. :lol:

The dye also took to the filler surprisingly well! You can see it about half way down on the left in this picture.

IMG_1238.jpg

My brother is putting together a Warmoth strat too so I made some red test pieces for him. Same kinda deal with the black being left on as I did with the green.

IMG_1241.jpg

The top piece there has some mineral spirits on it. He isn't really a fan of the red as it is a bit more of a tangerine/dark orange and he wants a really deep red. So I'm gonna try to add some more of the red powder to the dye, sand these pieces back a bit and add more, see how that goes. I personally like this shade of red but it's not what he wants.

Here's some more shots of it though.

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

And just for kicks, I did a blue one too. unfortunately there was a couple dots of red that splashed on to it earlier but meh. Still looks very nice.

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Well I think that's it for now.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Redid the red for my brother's strat. We both think this one looks a lot better.
IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Here it is after being buffed with 0000 steel wool and then given a bit of mineral spirits.

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, it's outshining the green now so I'm gonna make that one a bit more vibrant too I think.

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
The red is skeetastic bro it looks amazing,
and so does the blue man
hell they all look great,
but not skeetastic like the red

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I'm really jealous that the red looks that good :lol:. But my mind is pretty set for having the guitar green. I wanna try and finish a piece of mahogany this weekend with some tung oil and see how they look together.

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
I like the red...

Almost inspires me to go buy some flame and do a red flame trans top myself!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Small update on headstock.

IMG_1278.jpg

Wish I knew how to use a planer :noplease:. I'll fix this up soon.

Jacobine

Reaction score
Yeah I'm really jealous that the red looks that good :lol:. But my mind is pretty set for having the guitar green. I wanna try and finish a piece of mahogany this weekend with some tung oil and see how they look together.

geniousses choose green:metal:

')