Even more Agiles up

• Thread starter dgf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Im confused....the septor 8s? Mine dont have coil taps built in.

the 7s. sorry i should have been more clear. :)

the Cepheus 8 string pickups also have a 4 wire lead so tapping is possible if you so desire.

Haunted

Dedicated Headbanger
Reaction score
DAMN! they've just added a quilt black finish - that's hot!

RG7

Reaction score
and one in lefty..that I might be buying unless someone snags it before me

ncbrock

Reaction score
wow, i wish i had a job, being 15 isnt easy with all these beautiful guitars around and specially when I want an 8 string

Deadseen

Reaction score
Some of those look pretty nice... but I can't see spending $1k on an Agile when you can get both Ibanez & Schecter 8s for less - both of which I'd take over an Agile, personally.

Yeah but the agile, has either 30" or 28.625" scale and as far as I know neither schecter, esp,ltd or ibanez has any of that. And the kahler looks killer to.
BTW Does the other brands have 5-pice necks, the ibanez has that right but not the schecter or ltd/esp?

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
God damn. If rondo keeps this up, I'll have to buy another 8 string before the year is over hahaha

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Yeah but the agile, has either 30" or 28.625" scale and as far as I know neither schecter, esp,ltd or ibanez has any of that....

Or need it, IMHO. Seriously, If I can play my 666mm 8-string tuned down 1.5 steps without intonation or tension issues, I just see no need to have a scale that's ~3.8 inches longer. To each their own, I guess, but to me, it just sounds like a self-imposed headache of hand cramps, trying to get strings that long, and simultaneously finding higher strings that won't break under the tension. The high strings are pretty much guaranteed to sound thin at that length. All these ridiculously long scale 7s and 8s are just way overrated... again, though, just my opinion.

And the kahler looks killer too?

Another item that just sounds like a huge headache more than anything... a Kahler trem on a 30" scale guitar seems like guaranteed tuning problems & broken higher strings, if not more serious structural problems over time. Can you imagine how much tension that's putting on the neck? I'd love to see someone Steve-Vai it up on one of those... and watch as the neck snaps in half.

BTW Does the other brands have 5-pice necks, the ibanez has that right but not the schecter or ltd/esp?

The Ibanez does, but I don't think the Schecters / LTDs do.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or need it, IMHO. Seriously, If I can play my 666mm 8-string tuned down 1.5 steps without intonation or tension issues, I just see no need to have a scale that's ~3.8 inches longer. To each their own, I guess, but to me, it just sounds like a self-imposed headache of hand cramps, trying to get strings that long, and simultaneously finding higher strings that won't break under the tension. The high strings are pretty much guaranteed to sound thin at that length. All these ridiculously long scale 7s and 8s are just way overrated... again, though, just my opinion.

On a standard tuned seven I agree, but having played 8s tuned F# at 27", 27.5", and 28.625" I'll say the F# definitely sounds much clearer at 28.625"... I do think 30" is overkill though :lol: Definitely all a matter of opinion though, much like tone preferences.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Another item that just sounds like a huge headache more than anything... a Kahler trem on a 30" scale guitar seems like guaranteed tuning problems & broken higher strings, if not more serious structural problems over time. Can you imagine how much tension that's putting on the neck? I'd love to see someone Steve-Vai it up on one of those... and watch as the neck snaps in half.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

epic507

Reaction score
I'm still massively gassing over that amberburst one.. It looks AMAZING, and I'm not usually a fan of that kinda finish

I got the last one I think. I'll have pictures the second it gets here. Which is hopefully this Friday :hbang:

ra1der2

Reaction score
Actually my 30.5" Octavia 8 string with kahler hybrid is so sweet, I don't even lock it at the nut and it stays in tune perfectly, no BS. I don't know if it's the increased tension of the longer scale length or what but it has major stability in the tuning man.

I use a custom set of ernie balls, 8, 11, 14, 20, 28, 38, 52, 68

That guitar is the reason I bought my other 8's, just to keep that one mint, and I hadn't played it in probably 3 months... Took it out of the case the day before yesterday to play it and it was in tight.

Dethfield

Advanced Prototype
Reaction score

I kind of agree. While i do think ERGs need longer scale lengths to bring out the best in the low strings, i dont think i will ever need a 30" scale, 28.625 is my limit.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just bought the Interceptor 830RN....couldn't stand being without a 30" scale anymore, and these are just great value for the cash. Have a Lundgren M8 and Hipshot open-gear tuners waiting for it too... :D

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Given that there are basses with trems that have similar construction, much longer scale length, and higher tension I doubt it would actually be an issue :2c:

Actually my 30.5" Octavia 8 string with kahler hybrid is so sweet, I don't even lock it at the nut and it stays in tune perfectly, no BS. I don't know if it's the increased tension of the longer scale length or what but it has major stability in the tuning man.

I use a custom set of ernie balls, 8, 11, 14, 20, 28, 38, 52, 68

That guitar is the reason I bought my other 8's, just to keep that one mint, and I hadn't played it in probably 3 months... Took it out of the case the day before yesterday to play it and it was in tight.

Glad to know they managed to build at least one of these that didn't suck... the 28" scale one I had had the neck warp so badly it was unplayable after 2 months and that was with no trem use :lol:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I just bought the Interceptor 830RN....couldn't stand being without a 30" scale anymore, and these are just great value for the cash. Have a Lundgren M8 and Hipshot open-gear tuners waiting for it too... :D

Let us know how the Hipshot tuners work out for you. I put Schallers in mine; they were a perfect fit but I'm curious how others work out.

Latest posts

')