Ever disassemble Hipshot grip lock Tuner?

• Thread starter bmth4111
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bmth4111

Reaction score
Can the pole ( peg the string goes through) of the grip lock Tuner be removed from the tuner body. Has anyone done this? I have a idea of in my head of two tone hipshot tuners for a custom build but want to make sure it's possible.

Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done, at least at Hipshot's. Why don't you ask them? I have some of those tuners in 3 of my guitars, but I'm sorry, I won't disassemble them for now. I have removed several times their pegs for washer replacement... it's a plastic little fragile thing that breaks easily...

bmth4111

Reaction score
I asked hipshot and they said they do not do custom tuners.

can the circular piece at the back of the tuner used to lock the string be removed just by turning it with your fingers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
It stops its turns without falling. There's a block somewhere, when the tuner is fully open for the string to enter. I'll have to look closer and see if there's a way to do that...

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Yep, it can be done. I disassembled one a while ago in order to shorten the main post (needed a better break angle over the nut). The locking post that’s attached to the rear wheel will come out if you just pull & turn counter clockwise at the same time. When assembled, the outer post is essentially just “crimped” once the threaded post is inserted in order to prevent the inner post from sliding out the back.

itam22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep, it can be done. I disassembled one a while ago in order to shorten the main post (needed a better break angle over the nut). The locking post that’s attached to the rear wheel will come out if you just pull & turn counter clockwise at the same time. When assembled, the outer post is essentially just “crimped” once the threaded post is inserted in order to prevent the inner post from sliding out the back.
F2FC6546-40AC-4357-BA1D-B96DEDAE6C95.jpeg F2FC6546-40AC-4357-BA1D-B96DEDAE6C95.jpeg

itam22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi. How to remove gearwheel? I would like to swap posts between two tuners. I need longer one. I undcrewed nut but gearwheel and whole post seems to be unmovable…