Ever prefer a 6-string?

• Thread starter Metaguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Yeah I've decided to just stick with the solid body LP-styled 7's until I either feel like gambling on the eBay crap or someone finally makes a semi-hollow. I figure I should probably be paying more attention to my playing than the instrument anyway, a different body style isn't going to make me play any better :lol:

You'd think Ibanez would have made one by now though... Them or Rondo... :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Love my 7 for just about everything, but I'm really into other music that isn't metal so It's nice having some kind of 6 around -like a tele or SG to play other types of music that isn't heavy or jazz. Like, my favorite band is The Mars Votla, you don't need a 7 string for that obviously. It's just nice to change up the feel, and I often find myself writing completely different music on different string setups.

I play 7s and 8s and do NOT play metal... :yesway:

The size of the necks is just more comfortable in my hands...

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I mainly play and always practice on a 7, and rarely use the 7th string (I do leads most of the time and it doesn't get touched *too* much).

If I'm recording solos or I don't need the 7th string for a performance, I'll use the 6 because it's way easier to do those big stretch legato runs and all that nonsense.

Also I like when you play on a 7 or an 8 for a long time and then a 6 feels like a toy :lol:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
As soon as I tried a 7 I knew 6 strings would just limit me too much. Haven't gotten an 8 yet but I know I will probably feel the same way about 7s when I do.

troyguitar

Reaction score
You'd think Ibanez would have made one by now though... Them or Rondo... :lol:

Yeah I quite like the Agile Harm body shape, would love one in a 7.

That eBay one actually looks great too I just don't want to deal with it potentially being a pile of crap.

The other reason I keep thinking about buying 6-strings besides strats and various hollow bodies is the customization factor. I like having tons of options for pickups, hardware, finishes, etc. either in production models or from aftermarket swaps. Something like a strat or an RG550 can be made to be totally your own simply and cheaply - that is just not possible with any 7-string.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
I currently have my 6 tuned to drop D, whereas my 7 is tuned to drop Ab. I treat the two different guitars the same way, regarding writing style, but ultimately I use the lower tuning of the 7 more. If I write a riff that sounds better in drop D than in drop Ab, then I'll record it with the 6. Essentially, I use the two for different ranges of notes.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I used to be on a 2 year 7 binge, and all I had were 7s, until about 8 months ago, and that's for several reasons, involving the music I write.

I began using very intricate chords, as well as technical faster riffs in my music. Both those factors are better suited and came more natural to me through six strings. Think on 7's , my music was for the most part rhythmic stuff and least stuff kinda like new born if Osiris, and my movement to sixes lead to writing more veil of Maya/the faceless kind of stuff.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Most of my general dicking around with a guitar at home is with a 6 (one at standard/Drop-D, another at C/B/Drop-B/Drop-A).

A lot of things just work easier for me with a traditional 6 string.

')